PDA

View Full Version : How to change motor mounts.

1988starter
09-17-2002, 12:36 PM
OK I was thinking of replacing my front and rear motor mounts and I just wanted to know if the procedure is as I expect.

1.Take a jack and a block of wood and place it under the oil pan

2. Loosen the middle bolts on the front and rear mounts.

3. jack up the engine.

4. when engine mooves past center bolt remove side bolts and then engine mounts.

intall reverse of removal.

If I left anything out please tell me

1988starter
09-18-2002, 10:02 AM
Common I know one of you guys can tell me if I missed anything.

DBMaster
09-18-2002, 11:32 AM
If memory serves correctly it won't be that easy. you will not be able to jack the engine up far enough to clear the center bolts. You will have to remove the nuts from the center bolts, jack the engine up slighty to take the weight off the mounts, and then remove the bolts holding the brackets to the engine block in the front and the transaxle case in the back.

At that point you can unbolt the mounts from the sub frame.

If you can get a friend to help you, do it. I wish I had done that. It would have made the rear mount much easier.

danronian
02-05-2004, 09:56 PM
I tried to change my front mount and had trouble. First I removed the torque strap and replaced the bushings and then I went to install it and found out the engine moved quite a bit so I couldnt get it back in. I then supported the engine under the bottom mount and then detached all of the bushings (other then the transaxle mount) in order to get the torque strap attached. I read the above post and I see how you can't raise the engine enough to clear the center bolt of the front mount but I don't understand how detaching the mount from the subframe helps this situation (I actually tried this and ended up just puting the old one back on since I couldn't get it off). Could someone just give a complete rundown on how to replace the mounts w/o a lift or engine hoist? (not a manual rundown since I already tried that (haynes, chiltons, honda))

1989accordaz
05-09-2004, 03:00 PM
How to replace a front engine mount:

Note: Spray some WD-40 on the front engine mount bolts and the front engine mount bracket. Let it soak for a while. Better to do this when the engine is cold. I did it when it was kinda hot. Not a good idea.

Tools needed: Metric sockets, wrenches, extension bars for your sockets I used a 3” and a 6” but it’s still too tight to turn your wrench. I would suggest 2 6” extension bars put together so you have a long 12” extension. A piece of 2 x 4 wood couple feet long. Hydraulic jack, and I used a second jack, just the one that comes with your car will do. Have a buddy helping you at the end of the install.

1.-Place a hydraulic jack under the transmission and jack it up slightly, just to support the engine.

2.-Place a second jack under the oil pan with a block of 2 X 4 to support the pan evenly. And jack up, slightly to even the weight of the engine so it won’t tilt.

3.-Remove the 2 side bolts holding the front engine mount to the beam, and then remove the nut on from the center bolt holding the engine mount to the bracket. At this point the engine mount is loose.

3- Remove the two bolts holding the side engine mount. This is necessary to jack up the engine far enough for you to move the front engine mount and have a better access to the bottom bolt on the front engine mount’s bracket.

4.- Remove the two top bolts holding the front engine mount bracket. ( Two on top, one on the bottom)

5.- Now to remove the bottom bolt from the front engine mount bracket, jack the car up, remember to do it evenly, otherwise the engine will tilt. Jack up the engine far enough so the center bolt of the engine mount clears the bracket. Now you should have enough room to remove the bottom bolt holding the bracket. Remove the bolt, remove the bracket and remove the front engine mount, you should be able to do it from the top. There is enough room between the radiator fan cover and the engine.

7.- Place the new engine mount down on the beam, do not bolt it down yet!

8.-Install the front engine mount’s bracket, only the bottom bolt should be installed at this point. Do not tighten all the way, two more bolts need to be installed.

9.-Installed the top bolts for the engine mount’s bracket. Do not tighten all the way.

10.- Move the engine mount to its position, under the bracket and install the two side engine mount bolts.

11.-Slowly lower the engine, start with lowering the jack that is supporting the transmission. Then lower the one that is supporting the oil pan. Lower it down so the front mount bracket lines up with the engine mount center bolt.
Now you want to line up and install the bolts on the side motor mount, some tweaking may be necessary, but don’t stress out they will line up as long as you lower the engine evenly. Have a buddy helping you with this, my wife helped me on this one.

12.- Once you have the side engine mount’s bolts in proceed to lower the engine all the way so the weight of the engine compresses the front engine mount, at this point the jacks should be out of the way. Tighten all bolts and install the nut on the front mount center bolt. Then proceed to tighten all bolts.

This should be it. If you have any suggestions or questions, just post them. So I can edit this how to.

Note to moderator: I tried to post this on the how to, but I did not have access to post.