PDA

View Full Version : Stator help...

BrianB
11-26-2007, 12:24 PM
What adverse effects will a stator that is out of place have on a car? Also, if I sanded off the rust on my stator will this effect it?

ghettogeddy
11-26-2007, 01:12 PM
whats a stator do you mean starter or alternator

2ndGenGuy
11-26-2007, 01:17 PM
I'd heard it before, but I had to look it up:

The stator is the stationary part of an electric motor or alternator. Depending on the configuration of the motor the stator may act as the field magnet, interacting with the armature to create motion.

The stator may be either a permagnet or an electromagnet. Electromagnetic stators are used in wound field DC motors. The non-stationary part on an electric motor is the rotor. Where the stator is an electromagnet, the coil which energizes it is known as the field coil or field winding.

BrianB
11-26-2007, 01:18 PM
The little metal thing in an alternator. The one that the air gap has to be equal with.

moonjaw2002
11-26-2007, 01:43 PM
The stator would be the outside coil the rotor is what is in the center.Cleaning
the rust off it will not hurt it.If the rotor bushing or bearing is bad your alternator will not put out the correct voltage.If the rotor has hit the stator
you will see scrapes on it, if the bearing are bad enough.
Mark

BrianB
11-27-2007, 08:23 AM
Will this cause the car to idle irregularly?

2oodoor
11-27-2007, 08:34 AM
The little metal thing in an alternator. The one that the air gap has to be equal with.

I read this and am thinking you may be talking about the distributor, the stator or reluctor wheel... air gap must be correct on that. Any sanding done in any of these should be cleaned of sanding debris that was removed.

It would be odd IMO for someone to have the knowledge to open up an alternator and service it, and then turn around and ask that question. So are you talking about the distributor or what?

Hauntd ca3
11-28-2007, 10:34 PM
i did have an alt prob where the bushes colapsed and the rotor hit the stator and it burnt out one of the three phases.
it would still have 12.5 volt out put but no amperage.
aslong as the bushes , brushes and commutator are in good nick everything should be fine.
the rectifier and regulator can give trouble
the reg is easy to chage but the rect is a bit more difficult
you have to unsolder it from the stator and put a new one on.
is easier to get a jy alt

88Accord-DX
11-29-2007, 09:20 PM
I'll just give some info. I have on the stator.

The alternator stator consists of the 3 groups of windings. The coils are wrapped around a soft, laminated, iron core or ring. The stator produces the electrical output of the alternator. (there are a couple different types)

I don't mess with breaking down the alternator, but what your doing, replace the brushes while you sand it down. Just use fine sand paper, & I mean real fine.