PDA

View Full Version : Intake manifold question on a A18

labeledsk8r
11-27-2007, 02:30 AM
ok, so i have a side project for someone else. he came to me after seeing some pics of my accord and well now im here working on a 1987 prelude, A18a/et1 engine. yes its a dreaded Dual Carb setup and is haveing carb problems. and i was thinking either go for a weber swap or a FI swap (if i feel like really talking him into it and doing it) but the webber seems like a better idea, since he just wants it to run reliable. So my question is, can a A20A1 intake manifold bolt up to this head so i can do webber swap?? or what intake mani fits with the least amount of custom work.when looking at pics it seems a bit diff, but im not sure. thanks guys

Vanilla Sky
11-27-2007, 01:01 PM
With that carb setup, I'd look at a vacuum removal similar to ours. That's the source of most of the problems.

labeledsk8r
11-27-2007, 02:45 PM
With that carb setup, I'd look at a vacuum removal similar to ours. That's the source of most of the problems.

well thats kinda why i want to just do away with those carbs, there vacum lines are almost double what the carbed accords is, i think i normal sized webber and all vacum lines ripped out would do great, IF i can figure out what intake many fits

labeledsk8r
11-27-2007, 10:26 PM
bump for ideas on this.. i have been looking up on PP about the dual weber sidedrafts and vacum removal, but i really feal a single weber would be the cheepest route

forrest89sei
11-28-2007, 08:07 AM
Bump for Sk8ter.

Can a say a ES Series Intake Mani fit on a ET Head?

All he wants to do is convert from the Dual Side draft to a Single Webber

AccordB20A
11-29-2007, 12:18 PM
a18a is the same head as a20a but when it comes to e series engines i would have no clue. Thats weird for a dual carb engine to fuck up usually its only those gay stock downdraughts that allways have a wank. Never have a problem with the sidedraughts.
John Turk Will tell You He has a webbered ES

labeledsk8r
11-29-2007, 02:58 PM
i allready found out over at preludepower that i need to headswap to a A20 head to put a a20 intak manifold onto it, wich sucks for me, i also have to do some water line routeing wich is hard to do thanks to difrent sized hoseings on the 2 difrent cars, but thanks guys

2oodoor
11-29-2007, 04:08 PM
I am pretty sure this has been dicussed a few times somewhere here, let me go see, It is a common enough issue, because of the vaccum leaks. You have to clear out all the junk to get a focus on what it going on with it. I think that rubber isolators are one big problem for vacuum leaks.
I think (again) that head is sought for A20 because of the dual valve springs.

http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19149&highlight=prelude+intake
opposite of what you want to do, but all the same.... good info

2oodoor
11-29-2007, 04:24 PM
http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38102&highlight=prelude+carbs
http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=60623&highlight=prelude+carbs

then this one seems to say the 2.0 head wont work on it
http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11014&highlight=prelude+carbs

labeledsk8r
11-29-2007, 05:07 PM
all of those are just saying what i allready know, te intake manifold will not swap between the a18 carb and the a20 carb, the heads i found out are fully swapable, i have been over on prelude power for the past few days getting the research and info. right now i just have to talk to the owner and tell him his options wich are, re-tune the stock carbs and hope for the best, a20 headswap with weber carb, fuel injection swap (wich is to much work for what its worth), or dual sidedraft webers on a18 head (again to high a price i feel thats in his range).

Hauntd ca3
11-29-2007, 07:54 PM
as far as i know, you cant rebuild the carbs economically.
you prob can rebuild them but cost to much.
the efi is prob not to expensive but i'd think it would be a fiddly job.
the weber swap is prob the most economical and they are a very easily tuned carb
prob the bigest selection of jets,emultion tubes you could ask for
if you cant get it running well with a weber go the efi way

labeledsk8r
11-29-2007, 08:09 PM
as far as i know, you cant rebuild the carbs economically.
you prob can rebuild them but cost to much.
the efi is prob not to expensive but i'd think it would be a fiddly job.
the weber swap is prob the most economical and they are a very easily tuned carb
prob the bigest selection of jets,emultion tubes you could ask for
if you cant get it running well with a weber go the efi way

well i wouldnt rebuild the stock carbs if thats what he chooses he wants, i owuld go threw and do a full tune up and vacum leak check etc, i dont think he is gona want anything else since to go weber single carb witch will run the best i feel he has to swap heads, wich anyone not looking for performance really doesnt wana hear, and efi swaping is very costly. time will tell