PDA

View Full Version : do i need a P75 or a P28 ecu for OBD1?

ZackieDarko
11-28-2007, 04:53 PM
strangley whenyou type in p75 or p28 nothing comes up

i type in OBD1 and OBD1 swap and i keep geting the same threads but not the answer i want

from what i DID find out some guys are runing the p75 ECU from an LS integra

will a p28 work? (teh vtec ecu)

i can get a 4g dist, 3100cc injectors and a p28 all in one package for my OBD-1 swap but i dunno if i can use the p28

Legend_master
11-28-2007, 05:23 PM
strangley whenyou type in p75 or p28 nothing comes up

i type in OBD1 and OBD1 swap and i keep geting the same threads but not the answer i want

from what i DID find out some guys are runing the p75 ECU from an LS integra

will a p28 work? (teh vtec ecu)

i can get a 4g dist, 3100cc injectors and a p28 all in one package for my OBD-1 swap but i dunno if i can use the p28

Not sure about the p75, but the p28 will not work properly.

mushroom_toy
11-28-2007, 05:25 PM
If its a p28 you have to get it chipped to P75 basemap, or else it wont work properly if at all. I really dont know though.

Legend_master
11-28-2007, 05:27 PM
No that will not work, because the ECU physically has differences that are placed there in order for Vtec to work.

TWOLOUDNPROUD
11-28-2007, 05:27 PM
You can use PR4 OBD1 and you don't have to mess with the VSS.I am useing the PR4 on my Accord without any issues.

mushroom_toy
11-28-2007, 05:52 PM
No that will not work, because the ECU physically has differences that are placed there in order for Vtec to work.

Im pretty sure you can get the basemap burned to bypass that. ?

ZackieDarko
11-28-2007, 07:16 PM
PR4 huh

TWOLOUDNPROUD
11-28-2007, 08:27 PM
The PR4 is from the 92/93 integra.

2drSE-i
11-28-2007, 08:50 PM
PR4/P75 ecus will be the best route to go. Any vtec ecu will, well just ask messy how that worked out for him.

MessyHonda
11-29-2007, 01:13 AM
i used a stock pr4 and the car ran great. it even sounded like a integra at idle. now i have a p06 from a 92-95 civic...chrome tuned

AccordEpicenter
11-29-2007, 09:54 AM
im going with a chipped P06 ecu also. Thats the same as a P28 but its lacks the vtec control that the P28 has, but P06s are cheaper and easier to come by. Even a P05 would work as well. If you want to run a stock like map, just run the stock P75 map and burn it and run that in the P06

2drSE-i
11-29-2007, 10:43 AM
there seems to be a bit of confusion on this topic. With a chipped ECU, it doesnt really matter what ecu it is, you just need to get the correct basemap burned to the chip. P75 would probably be the best basemap to go with, as a p75 ecu has been tested and proven to work with our cars. VTEC ecu or not, the basemap chooses whether or not to use it. The chip is like a computer processor, it chooses where it obtains information from, and sends output to wherever it needs to go (ignition and fuel)

ZackieDarko
11-29-2007, 03:40 PM
i think this thread will be nice for people who later on down the internet road search for this exact question and BOOM they will have answers :-p

there seems to be a bit of confusion on this topic. With a chipped ECU, it doesnt really matter what ecu it is, you just need to get the correct basemap burned to the chip. P75 would probably be the best basemap to go with, as a p75 ecu has been tested and proven to work with our cars. VTEC ecu or not, the basemap chooses whether or not to use it. The chip is like a computer processor, it chooses where it obtains information from, and sends output to wherever it needs to go (ignition and fuel)

pr4's seem to work as well

so

p75
and
pr4
ftw

cygnus x-1
11-29-2007, 07:49 PM
i think this thread will be nice for people who later on down the internet road search for this exact question and BOOM they will have answers :-p
pr4's seem to work as well so p75 and pr4 ftw

Except that the super-ultra-mega-awesome search engine on this site has a 4 character minimum. :rant::gun::wtf:

C|

TWOLOUDNPROUD
11-30-2007, 12:01 PM
Except that the super-ultra-mega-awesome search engine on this site has a 4 character minimum. :rant::gun::wtf:

C|

Aman:bow:

2drSE-i
12-01-2007, 12:39 PM
pr4 nonvtec...i think there is a vtec version of that same ecu

LX-incredible
12-02-2007, 12:08 PM
There is also an OBD0 PR4, so be careful. I believe that one came in the 90-91 tegs.

TWOLOUDNPROUD
12-02-2007, 05:13 PM
pr4 nonvtec...i think there is a vtec version of that same ecu

Yes there is the Pr3 Obd-0

TWOLOUDNPROUD
12-02-2007, 05:14 PM
The PR4 looks al most the same as a p06 on the in inside.

Accordtheory
12-02-2007, 05:15 PM
VTEC ecu or not, the basemap chooses whether or not to use it.

I guess, but I would never run a vtec ecu with the vtec disabled in place of a non vtec ecu. The vtec ecus are more expensive and they have different resolution (load points) for tuning. I have a p75 in my car now with my headless motor, (for sale on ebay soon) but I'll be getting a p28 or converted p06 probably with the hondata s300 to run it with my gsr head and a holset turbo.

2drSE-i
12-02-2007, 08:13 PM
I guess, but I would never run a vtec ecu with the vtec disabled in place of a non vtec ecu. The vtec ecus are more expensive and they have different resolution (load points) for tuning. I have a p75 in my car now with my headless motor, (for sale on ebay soon) but I'll be getting a p28 or converted p06 probably with the hondata s300 to run it with my gsr head and a holset turbo.

thats very true. PGMFI.org has proven that vtec ecu's with disabled vtec take longer to tune, because they load much slower because the ecu continues to send values to the vtec portion of the ecu (for lack of actual technical names). Not to mention the unexpected shit that you could run into. Just play it safe and run a nonvtec ecu.

Harrison_Bergeron
03-08-2010, 05:22 PM
I have a question related to this, I thought I found the answer in other threads, but then this one seemed to have contrary info.

When swapping to OBD1 can a stock ecu be plug and play on the stock A20, or does a custom tune have to be budgeted into the OBD1 conversion from the get go?

I thought the answer was that a tune was mandatory, but then:

i used a stock pr4 and the car ran great. it even sounded like a integra at idle. now i have a p06 from a 92-95 civic...chrome tuned
made me think otherwise, can I get a final answer?

cygnus x-1
03-08-2010, 09:59 PM
I have a question related to this, I thought I found the answer in other threads, but then this one seemed to have contrary info.

When swapping to OBD1 can a stock ecu be plug and play on the stock A20, or does a custom tune have to be budgeted into the OBD1 conversion from the get go?

I thought the answer was that a tune was mandatory, but then:

made me think otherwise, can I get a final answer?

It would probably run ok but it's a good idea to get it tuned since it won't be optimal.

C|

P.S. Kurt Vonnegut fan?

Harrison_Bergeron
03-08-2010, 10:19 PM
I've only read the one story, but yes, that is what the s/n is.

Would a stock PR4 like mentioned above at least work for regular street driving? Or driveway racing only?

I guess I will search MessyHonda's posts to see if he did a write up on it.

Harrison_Bergeron
03-08-2010, 10:58 PM
Ok, I think I found my answer here:

http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18160

Looks like stockers can work well.

But that just led to another issue as the distributor thread referenced in the first few pages is a dead link.

LX-incredible
03-09-2010, 02:30 PM
PR4 or P75 will be your best option. They're going to have a basemap closer to the accord than anything else. They also do not look for an ELD, simplifying wiring.

I've been running a stock PR4 for approximately 20K miles. It seems to be a bit lean on the high end, which helps with fuel mileage the way I drive. I do however find it necessary to run midgrade in the summer (temps above about 95º F) to prevent detonation. I do plan to have it tuned, but will most likely keep the PR4 with the stock basemap for everyday driving. I'm not going to post the milage I'm getting, because nobody will believe it anyway... All I'll say is it's quite possible for 40+ mpg on these cars.

2drSE-i
03-09-2010, 02:32 PM
Any issues with detonation? I still love my sig.

LX-incredible
03-09-2010, 02:43 PM
No, no issues. It was pretty minor, nonexistent with midgrade, or temps below 100.

lol, I've never got quite that high. It's possible with the correct build, weight reduction, and aerodynamics though.

MessyHonda
03-12-2010, 12:41 AM
I've only read the one story, but yes, that is what the s/n is.

Would a stock PR4 like mentioned above at least work for regular street driving? Or driveway racing only?

I guess I will search MessyHonda's posts to see if he did a write up on it.

thanks for serching....the only thing that sucks with the ecus is that every part that i added...i needed to get it retuned....i lost power on some of the mods i did because i didnt retune....car ran good with the pr4 ecu i had...just dont overrev the car...i did couple times because redline is 7200....now i have a msd set up with 6k rev limiter chip....more torque out of my big cam because i have it advanced 2 degrees