PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed.

mbc
11-28-2007, 10:40 PM
Well, as it turns out, my "classic" 3Gee has a salvage title.

I called the dealer that sold me the car because I still have not recieved any DMV paperwork. As it turns out, the car was salvaged on 5/12/07 due to a small dent that is under the LH tail light. The dent caused the trunk to slightly crease under its own tail light. This was touched up with no repair work. Sorry, no pics. It's very minor, and does not, in any way, affect the driveability of the car. It is clear to me that the car was salvaged due to it's age and the current body shop labor rates, as well as the lack of "New old stock" parts.

This transaction was a violation of the vehicle code 11515 (H)(1) which basically states that the seller must disclose if a vehicle is salvage BEFORE, or AT THE TIME of sale. The dealer is telling me that he had no idea and has informed me that he has an arbitration case against the auctioneers.

I am aware of my rights. I can return the car for a full refund (unwind), or the dealer has offered me a settlement. I don't know how much yet, as we will meet @ 10:30 PST tomorrow.

The car has been virtually flawless during the 3 weeks and nearly 4,000 miles in my posession. In fact, it drives far better than my previous 3GEE.

I have not made a decision yet, I don't jump to conclusions, and would like to hear some opinions.

mbc

ghettogeddy
11-28-2007, 10:45 PM
if the car is in good shape and it was only salvaged due to the dent id say f it lol and just get the money the dealership is offering and say f it lol

mbc
11-28-2007, 11:09 PM
The dent is all I can think of.

The car tracks straight (I followed my GF while she was driving it), the paint is original, and the tires are wearing evenly. The steering rack has been replaced, but that could happen after 19 years anyway.

Let's see how much this guy wants to pay me not to sue.

I will say that I would not have bought the car if this info was diclosed.

Civic Accord Honda
11-28-2007, 11:39 PM
DONT GET RID OF IT!!!! its way to clean looking and if it runs good and drives good then why get rid of it
all a salvage titel is is a peace of paper

russiankid
11-29-2007, 05:47 AM
I wouldn't get rid of it. Wait for the settlement from the dealer, and use that money to change any parts on the car that are giving you problems. Since the car was not in an accident and was only salvaged because of age and minor damage, letting it go would be kinda stupid IMO.

2drSE-i
11-29-2007, 07:12 AM
take the settlement and use it to repair the dent. Or sue the shit out of the dealership, since they should know the status of the title. Id say call a lawyer up and see how good of a case you can make.

fogged
11-29-2007, 08:13 AM
take the settlement and use it to repair the dent. Or sue the shit out of the dealership, since they should know the status of the title. Id say call a lawyer up and see how good of a case you can make.

Id sue the dealership that sold the car to you. Any money they try to give is so you dont sue them. They know they are wrong and thats why the dealer is wanting to give you the cash. Keep the car.

AccordB20A
11-29-2007, 12:21 PM
Get as much money as you can :):)

itzdave
11-29-2007, 12:24 PM
my car has a salvage title, oh well. when i got it, it hadnt ran in about 4 years, but it had no damage like urs. id see what they offer you, its not like these cars have huge resale value anyway. id take the money and fix it up, if it needs it, if not, hey ya gotta a lil extra money, get a cd player, rims, whatever. but id keep the car, as long as he didnt overcharge you to begin with, if it seems to run ok.

guaynabo89
11-29-2007, 12:46 PM
Ask for all the money back -500 dollars. That would probably be enough for the dealer to break even and not loose out any more money or get sued.

itzdave
11-29-2007, 06:03 PM
Ask for all the money back -500 dollars. That would probably be enough for the dealer to break even and not loose out any more money or get sued.

^^:werd:^^

mbc
11-29-2007, 06:15 PM
Thanks for all of the imput.

The car is gone. I unwound and recieved a full refund.

Matt.

mbc
11-29-2007, 06:28 PM
Ultimately, I've decided that I will not replace the 3GEE.

I have weighed the pros and cons and it's better this way. The legacy of my previous Accord has given me confidence in these cars, but there are many reasons why I have come to this conclusion.

Until next time,

Matt.

87LXiR
11-29-2007, 06:40 PM
Ultimately, I've decided that I will not replace the 3GEE.

I have weighed the pros and cons and it's better this way. The legacy of my previous Accord has given me confidence in these cars, but there are many reasons why I have come to this conclusion.

Until next time,

Matt.

Wait, are you saying that your sticking with the 3G or moving on and away from it?

mbc
11-29-2007, 07:00 PM
Sorry to be vague, I will not be getting another 3GEE.

I will go back to using my (1986) Toyota Van.

cubert
11-29-2007, 07:03 PM
sucks that the car was salvaged..but at least you got your money back

88Accord-DX
11-29-2007, 08:26 PM
I don't know, but for little money you paid. Could have haggled for a better price & keep it. Salvage title is all in the price game on your part. Too late, sure got bigger & better things for the cash.

mbc
11-29-2007, 09:09 PM
The salvage status did not bother me, It was all of the "hoops" that I would have to jump through in order to satisfy the DMV. There was a list of things that needed to be completed before a title could be issued. Inspections, verifications, etc. The car was definately roadworthy, however I didn't want to deal with the headaches associated with it.

AccordEpicenter
11-30-2007, 06:03 AM
oh well that sucks. At least your gonna drive toyota and not a 1985 cavy or somthing

Toneloc5145
11-30-2007, 07:59 AM
I would've done the same thing. A salvage title is so hard to get around, which is kind of why I'm scared to drive my car. One crash and it's totaled, guaranteed. But I guess it was good while it lasted.

frantik
11-30-2007, 08:33 AM
hope ya still drop in sometimes :sadwave:

w261w261
11-30-2007, 09:11 AM
Here in CT, a couple of years ago I was registering a homebuilt trailer, and had the opportunity while waiting in line to watch what the DMV does with salvage title cars. They put them through an inspection that must take 1 1/2 hrs, so nit-picky you wouldn't believe it. A few months before that, after a tractor trailer had tried to run over my left front corner, I had the choice of taking a salvage title or about $400 less. I took the $400 hit to stay away from the title, and after watching the DMV guys rake the salvage people over the coals, have been very happy with my decision.

AccordB20A
12-02-2007, 02:01 AM
that inspection sounds like when you re vin a car over here.

w261w261
12-02-2007, 09:44 AM
Meantime in CT for homebuilt trailers, it's gotten so bad I don't think I could get gotten mine registered anymore. Now they want certificates of origin of all the main parts.