PDA

View Full Version : Crankshaft pulley

russiankid
12-01-2007, 01:48 PM
I have oil coming from under the timing belt cover. So i am going to pull the cover and see what is leaking. I have read how to break the pulley bolt loose, but some of those links are old and dead.

What i was going to do is spray the bolt with some PB blaster for a few hours. Then use a 2-3ft cheater bar, 1/2"drive breaker bar with an extension, and wood under it so its level. The car will be in gear(5-speed), i will have someone hold the brakes. Would this work? The pulley was removed around 115k and i now have about 150k. This oil leak is killing me, its coming from under the cover and there is no other way to see it. I already replaced the camshaft seal so that is out of the question.

Any other ideas on breaking the bolt loose?

P.S. I don't think the clutch will slip as it has around 8,000 miles on it.

88Accord-DX
12-01-2007, 04:06 PM
Oil coming behind the cover is leaking from the front seal.

itzdave
12-01-2007, 04:08 PM
i used an impact gun, one of the biggest that they make, and i still couldnt get it. i had to use a 2foot extention so the breaker bar was out by the wheel, and i had vice grips holding the pulley in place (DONT DO THIS!) i ended up breaking the pulley and having to get another from the jy.
i think you got a good idea with somebody holding the brakes (wish id thought of that). what do u think the leak is, head gasket maybe?

russiankid
12-01-2007, 04:15 PM
i used an impact gun, one of the biggest that they make, and i still couldnt get it. i had to use a 2foot extention so the breaker bar was out by the wheel, and i had vice grips holding the pulley in place (DONT DO THIS!) i ended up breaking the pulley and having to get another from the jy.
i think you got a good idea with somebody holding the brakes (wish id thought of that). what do u think the leak is, head gasket maybe?

Headgasket is fine, my coolant is green oil is well oil. No problems what so ever. My guess would be the front engine seal, but i need to be sure before i go and order it. My camshaft seal was also leaking and oil was going down the side of the block.

88Accord-DX
12-01-2007, 06:39 PM
The problem I see is having the driver side tire off with that method, with the car on jack stands. I have heated up the end of crank bolt a little with a torch to help them come loose. You'll need a seal puller if the front seal is leaking. Here is a similar one I done before.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/ddude2uc/D16frontseal.jpg

russiankid
12-01-2007, 06:48 PM
Is the seal replaced almost the same way as the camshaft seal? Right now i just need to see what is leaking so i can order the part(s).

P.S. I was going to turn the wheels to the left, so the car is on the ground.

labeledsk8r
12-01-2007, 08:14 PM
your gona want atleast the front on jackstands, the wheel angled makes it a B1tch to get in there and work or even really look, putting it on a jackstand will take a few extra minutes at first but save you much more time in the long run, other then that you mostly have the right idea, once the nut it out you will have to rock it back and forth like hell, and be carfull not to drop it as they like to chip, and have fun lol

88Accord-DX
12-01-2007, 08:51 PM
Is the seal replaced almost the same way as the camshaft seal? Right now i just need to see what is leaking so i can order the part(s).

P.S. I was going to turn the wheels to the left, so the car is on the ground.

Yeah, it's replaced in the same general way. Just pull it out with a puller, coat the inside with some grease, use a huge socket that fits it & knock it in evenly. At least put the car on cinder blocks, cause using jack stands, you might get hurt by knocking the car off. Make sure you chock the wheels in the back.

russiankid
12-01-2007, 08:56 PM
Yeah, it's replaced in the same general way. Just pull it out with a puller, coat the inside with some grease, use a huge socket that fits it & knock it in evenly. At least put the car on cinder blocks, cause using jack stands, you might get hurt by knocking the car off. Make sure you chock the wheels in the back.I will try to have the car on the ground first, then i will try some other way. I don't have a problem with accessing the bolt when the car is on the ground.