PDA

View Full Version : Key not coming out of the ignition... HELP!

Hash_man_Se_i
12-03-2007, 02:23 PM
Ok, so here's the deal... This happened a couple times last year, and I really didn't think anything of it. Now it has been happening almost every time I drive my car, and It's making me mad, and I cannot figure out what is causing it.

So, I'll drive my car, go park it, and when I go to turn it off, car goes off, key turns back that turn but won't make the final turn to come out of the ignition. At first I thought it was a badly cut key I was using, so I have been using my other key and it is doing the same thing. With either key this happens almost all the time now. Usually if I start the car up, move it a bit, and turn it off again it will come out, but not always. It keeps making me late and shit for work too... no good.

Also, lately when this happens, I will sometimes go to start the car and move it again, and the car will not come out of park, the button the the shifter wont depress and I can't hear the park thing activate when I press the brake pedal. What could cause these two things to go hand in hand I'm not entirely sure, but I have little time to work on my car lately with moving and finals coming up next week.

Any help would be awesome... oh and yea, It's like -20 celsius here lately, and I am parking outside. Last year living with my parents I could just leave the car in the garage with the key in, but not so much anymore.

Let me know if you can help.

Thanks

LX-incredible
12-03-2007, 03:54 PM
Does turning the wheel while removing the key help?

mkymonkey
12-03-2007, 04:29 PM
it can be three things. either your key is badly cut or worn (this happened to cheese with his civic wagon rental), the cylinder is fucked up and you need a new one. or it has to do with the release of the shifter. i know that most automatics wont let the key go until you put the car in park completely. check fuses first

BITESIZE
12-03-2007, 04:42 PM
Happened to me, Change the thingy behind the key hole, won't have to change keys either.

mkymonkey
12-03-2007, 04:49 PM
Happened to me, Change the thingy behind the key hole, won't have to change keys either.

thats the cylinder

nfs480
12-03-2007, 04:52 PM
This happens to me whenever the car is too cold, it has to do with the way the steering wheel is turned when you park it. If mine locks up i'll turn the key back on so that it releases the wheel (won't start the car) and i'll turn the wheel to another position, then i'll try again and it will usually work. Also, in terms of the shifter, that happens if the transmission is too cold that the ECU won't detect which gear it's in, to fix that you have to wait for it to warm up a bit, hold down the gas to raise RPM's to speed that process.

Hash_man_Se_i
12-03-2007, 05:07 PM
Ya I'm thinking it might be the cylinder too... I'll check into that.

But the key isnt badly worn, and I dont think it's a bad cut either as I have a few keys including the original,a dn it does it with them all.

And no turning the wheel does not help with releasing the key... it doesnt do a thing to help.

Hahaaha nice explanation bitesize/

Hash_man_Se_i
12-04-2007, 09:45 AM
OK... i got to thinking last night... is there a sensor or something that tells the car it is in park as to release the key? or is that part of the ignition cylinder?

BITESIZE
12-04-2007, 11:27 AM
OK... i got to thinking last night... is there a sensor or something that tells the car it is in park as to release the key? or is that part of the ignition cylinder?

Its a switch on the shifter, im assuming its automatic tranny?

MoDawG
12-04-2007, 12:03 PM
Same thing happening to me in Calgary, Im gonna sell this car lol

Hash_man_Se_i
12-04-2007, 01:08 PM
Yea bitesize it's an auto.

Blkblurr
12-04-2007, 01:44 PM
Here is what it is. There is a switch in the console that determines your car is in park. The grease that is in the switch gets hard and sticky from age. When this switch sticks you will not see the park indicator lit on the instrument cluster. A solenoid prevents you from removing your key. To fix this you must take the cover of the shift console off and get to the switch that is in the upper left corner of the shift mechanism. There is a white plastic slide switch that can be removed and disconnected from the shift lever. Take this apart being careful not to lose the spring and ball that is inside this. Clean the old grease out and regrease with white lithium grease and put it all back together. It will work good as new after that.

AccordB20A
12-04-2007, 01:49 PM
you should just have a jdmc ar, none of this im not letting you have the key till its in park crap.

Hash_man_Se_i
12-04-2007, 09:08 PM
riiight... thanks for the usefull response Blkblurr I really appreciate it, and will give that a try this weekend.

And AccordB20A... that was a completely useless and retarded response... next time just don't say anything please... having a JDM car wouldn't solve any of my problems... The fact that said car might be a 5spd would probably help, but otherwise ya, no dice.

nfs480
12-13-2007, 04:41 PM
Just had this happen to me earlier tonight. I turned the key back to the I position, turned the wheel about 1/4 of a turn, and then turned the key back to off and was able to remove it easily. I've noticed that this absolutely only happens in extremely cold weather when I drive the car for a short distance without allowing it to fully warm up.

POS carb
11-12-2012, 08:27 AM
agree with Blkblurr.

I'm thinking the trans range switch in the shifter is making bad contact in the park position or the solenoid in the lock cylinder is sticking.

Play with it until you see the P light up red on the dash. If it doesn't light up then the problem is most likely the range switch. If it lights up but the key won't come out the problem is in the lock cylinder. Lubrication and cleaning of the parts should fix it.