PDA

View Full Version : Car is shutting off when i start it in the cold

maxsoccerplayer
12-05-2007, 08:33 AM
So i went to start my car the other day and it just shut off. I noticed when it was extremly cold outside i get in the car and pump the gas twice like i am supposed to and i start the car, and its starts fine idling at 2000 rpm's. Then it idles below 1 where and vibrates alot, like the car will amost shut off then the idle goes back to 2500, but recently teh car never doesthat and shuts off. Then i try to start teh car and have to leave my foot on teh gas peddle and hold it down and rev the car so gas can go trough the system which i know im not supposed to do, after teh teh car is ok. Also when i am changing gears the car jumps because the idle changes so drastically, for example the car will be in park idling at 2500 and i put it in reverce, and teh car jerks and teh idle geos down completly, then i put the car in park again and the idle goes to 2500, whats wrong with my car?

import racer
12-05-2007, 06:33 PM
check your choke,make sure it's closed before you start the car that day.car has to be cold to set choke too.also check the valve on air breather neck with the vacumn hose going to it,make sure the hose from your heat shield is connected also.hope this helps.:cheers:

maxsoccerplayer
12-05-2007, 07:41 PM
i have no idea whatthat means, can u give me more detailed directions

Demon1024
12-05-2007, 11:19 PM
I hope you don't mean you don't know the choke is. it is carbed right? when did you last change the fuel filters/ tune up? the choke is the top plate on the carb(just to make sure) it should be closed when the car is cold / open when hot. like he said see if it's closed then start the car and let it warm up. the choke should open when the engine is warm. I'm thinking fuel filter,but i don;t have any carbs. you'll find help here though. does it backfire when you shift? I'f nothing else browse threw the pages using the search someones likely to have had this exact problem before just a matter of finding it. good luck keep us posted on your progress!