PDA

View Full Version : A Few OBD I Questions

LX-incredible
12-05-2007, 09:24 PM
I have almost completed a conversion harness and am stuck on a few things...

Wiring the ELD.

I know the center wire goes to D10 on the ECU, but where do the black and the black/yellow wires go? Ground and ign, or ground and reference voltage (+5V)?

Distributor wiring.

4 new wires need to be run, 2 for the ignition control output signal and 2 crank position wires, which need to be shielded. My question is can I run all four in the same 18-4 shielded cable?

O2 sensor wiring

Pretty much the same as above. Can I run the O2 signal wire and heater wires in the same shielded cable?

D2-BKSW brake switch Grn/wht

What the heck is this and where should it go?

A19-White, Intake control solenoid

Should this be left out, or connected to an air-bleed solenoid?

A16-ALT C alternator Wht/Grn

From what I understand this supplies power to the voltage regulator, so the ECU can control the alternator. Our supply wire isn't wired through the ECU. I would assume it could be left unhooked...

Thanks for your help.

LX-incredible
12-06-2007, 09:13 AM
:help:

guaynabo89
12-06-2007, 09:55 AM
For the ELD I'll have to double check but I used wires at the fuse box under the hood and used one of the unused a20 solenoid wires to run to ecu. The ELD is alo mounted to the underneath of the fusebox on my car.

For the distributor you only need to run 3 extra wires to the ecu. 2 for the crank angle sensor and 1 for the icm. The rest can be had from the wires that run to the stck distributor and the coil. Heres a pic tha might help.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v499/sinnedone/obd1distdiagram.jpg

For the O2 sensor why not use the existing signal wire thats already shielded? Then you will only have to run one other wire to the ecu. I think its the heater ground. The other 2 wires you can just get from the engine harness. Theyre just positive and ground I think.

Brake switch I think I didnt do anythin with it. So far no probs.

The Other 2 I have no idea off the top of my head. I know I did someting with the extra alt wire to the ecu but can remember.

LX-incredible
12-06-2007, 11:44 AM
For the ELD I'll have to double check but I used wires at the fuse box under the hood and used one of the unused a20 solenoid wires to run to ecu. The ELD is alo mounted to the underneath of the fusebox on my car.

Does it need +5V from the ECU or 12V from the ignition switch?

For the distributor you only need to run 3 extra wires to the ecu. 2 for the crank angle sensor and 1 for the icm. The rest can be had from the wires that run to the stck distributor and the coil. Heres a pic tha might help.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v499/sinnedone/obd1distdiagram.jpg

So splice the 2 icm wires from the obd 1 ecu plug into 1 and run that? makes sense. The only suitable gauge shielded cable I can find here contains 4 strands, so I was wondering if I could run the icm wire in with the crank angle wires. But if it's only 1 wire, I can run it by itself.

For the O2 sensor why not use the existing signal wire thats already shielded? Then you will only have to run one other wire to the ecu. I think its the heater ground. The other 2 wires you can just get from the engine harness. Theyre just positive and ground I think.

I have the heater wiring figured out. I was wanting to move the O2 sensor right before the flex pipe to get a more even reading. Just wondering if I could run all 4 in the same cable.

Brake switch I think I didnt do anythin with it. So far no probs.

Great, I'll do the same!

The Other 2 I have no idea off the top of my head. I know I did someting with the extra alt wire to the ecu but can remember.

Not sure, but I think it would involve cutting the wire that goes to the AGS fuse and wiring it into the ECU instead. I don't really want the ECU controlling the alt anyway. I'm just wondering if this will cause any codes to be thrown.

As for the A19, Intake control solenoid wire, I'm just going to run it to A14, Bypass Control Sol. If it gives me problems, I'll unhook it and eventually go with the correct solenoid when I remove the black box.

Thanks for the response!

stat1K
12-06-2007, 04:42 PM
this shit is way more complicated than the obd1 conversion i have to do rofl...

LX-incredible
12-06-2007, 07:21 PM
That's cuz you already have all that extra garbage to keep that micro machine from stalling. :tongue:

Anyone else with answers?

LX-incredible
01-19-2008, 12:22 PM
I was able to find some answers, hopefully someone can help with Alt C and confirm the brake switch.

Wiring the ELD.

I know the center wire goes to D10 on the ECU, but where do the black and the black/yellow wires go? Ground and ign, or ground and reference voltage (+5V)?

Black to ground, black/yellow to ign.

Distributor wiring.

4 new wires need to be run, 2 for the ignition control output signal and 2 crank position wires, which need to be shielded. My question is can I run all four in the same 18-4 shielded cable?

Only one ignition control output needs to be run to the dizzy, as the two share the same circuit. Run the 2 crank position wires separate in a shielded cable. 2 conductor shielded is available here: http://www.connections-usa.com/CAB002-MIC-audio.html

O2 sensor wiring

Pretty much the same as above. Can I run the O2 signal wire and heater wires in the same shielded cable?

Several have done this without problems, I will do the same.

D2-BKSW brake switch Grn/wht

What the heck is this and where should it go?

It should go to the green/white wire on the brake switch, but should be fine if left out...

A19-White, Intake control solenoid

Should this be left out, or connected to an air-bleed solenoid?

Completely unnecessary. This controls the flap on the lower intake that lets the cold air in.

A16-ALT C alternator Wht/Grn

From what I understand this supplies power to the voltage regulator, so the ECU can control the alternator. Our supply wire isn't wired through the ECU. I would assume it could be left unhooked...

Still unsure on this one...