PDA

View Full Version : Starter problem please help fast

Beanshonda55
12-06-2007, 05:42 PM
SO this morning I go out and start my car, it turns over about once almost fires and then it didn't turn over after that. I let the battery charge all day and then went to start it and it just clicked and didn't turn over. All my electronics work and when I try to start with the lights on it do not dim. So I then push started it and it fired right up but then I turned it off and tried to start it and it just clicked. I'm guessing the starters out but just would like to hear what you guys think. Thanks.

AccordEpicenter
12-06-2007, 05:49 PM
yeah im gonna say its most likely a starter

azazel_18_2
12-06-2007, 07:06 PM
Just make sure you are getting 12V to the starter and make sure it is getting the 12V starter signal.

88Accord-DX
12-06-2007, 08:07 PM
Clean your battery terminals on the inside with 100 grit sand paper or terminal brush. Test the ignition switch & make sure your getting 12V when in crank position. Check the voltage at the solenoid when cranking. Voltage drop the grounds. (little more technical there)

DBMaster
12-07-2007, 07:31 AM
How old is the battery? If the battery has deteriorated internally which is likely if it is two or mores years old it could still be your battery. If you have a volt meter check voltage at the battery terminals. It should read at least 12V. If you have a helper, disconnect the main coil wire and have your helper turn the key while you read voltage on the battery. If the reading drops below 9V you have a bad battery.

Beanshonda55
12-07-2007, 09:27 AM
nope battery's new and tried another one just to check, Ive also tried starting the car by jumping it. Any way how hard is it to take the starter off? I was looking at it and it didn't seem all that bad? And is there anyway to check if the starters bad? thanks

AccordEpicenter
12-07-2007, 09:48 AM
not terrible, couple bolts and connections. If youre gonna get another one, they are different from 5sp to auto, get the right one.

jdaddy88lx-i
12-07-2007, 05:09 PM
changing the starter aint a bad deal at all just make sure youo disconect the battery first

88Accord-DX
12-07-2007, 10:03 PM
And is there anyway to check if the starters bad? thanks

Yeah there is way. Just take it to the local 'Zone' or parts store, most can test it. Better to get the whole starter if the starter solenoid is shot.

The starter is in a bad spot on the engine, from my opinion.

(at least the starter isn't as bad as changing an alternator on a carbed accord)

Kemikals
12-10-2007, 10:51 PM
get a big wrench and whack on your starter a few times, if it starts up afterwards; it's your starter most likely :). was able to do this trick for a month before on my old tempo before the starter finally croaked on me lol.