PDA

View Full Version : Suicide doors

toastyghost
09-17-2002, 07:13 PM
I really want suicide doors... it's the only mad custom thing to do to make having a sedan into something you can floss. Anyway I know there's not a chance in hell I'm going to be able to afford an actual suicide door conversion from a shop, but I was looking at the way everything is bolted inside the rear doors.. in the doorjamb I guess... and it looks like it would be relatively simple, although time consuming, to convert it yourself. It seems like you could just rotate the latches and hinges and use them on opposite sides of the car (like rotating tires) from the stock forward-opening doors. Of course I know that you would have to measure to make sure you position the holes so that it's balanced, and cut/patch the exterior panels so that the handles are up on the front of the door and there are no handle holes at the back where the handles normally are... Like I said, it looks like something time consuming but not necessarily extremely difficult. But other than these things, is there any aspect of such a project that I'm overlooking, one that would make this a more difficult project than meets the eye? As always, feedback is appreciated, and if you're going to slam the idea it's still appreciated if you explain WHY. Thanks!

87Hybrid
09-17-2002, 07:19 PM
In 1988 there was an article in Mini Trucking magazine on how to do that. You might also find some information in lowrider magazine. Check out the websites and E-mail them to see if they still have an article archived or even a back issue that you could buy.

netfreak
09-17-2002, 07:25 PM
Ooh.. I want! Would add a very unique touch.. Well until we all do the conversion anyway.

toastyghost
09-17-2002, 09:36 PM
If you have a 4dr too, don't janx my idea!! :P j/k I don't care. Actually I'm wondering about suicide scissors now too... Let's see if I get the suicides done right, then I'll worry about rotating the hinges.

netfreak
09-17-2002, 09:52 PM
Haha I have a 4 door :D

I'd rather do it on a coupe though..

shepherd79
09-18-2002, 04:44 AM
yeah i think the coupe will look better with this kind doors, but 4d will look awesome if you have your front doors as suicides and back are stock

HostileJava
09-18-2002, 04:55 AM
Actually I think it might look cool on a 4door if the front were stock and the back were suicide.

toastyghost
09-18-2002, 08:18 AM
shepherd: Can't do that, the outsides of the doors will bump if both doors on the same side are open. I was talking about front stock and back suicide, for that wide-open look when all the doors are open. A friend of mine is also working on a sliding van door type design but I don't think that's going on this car. :P Maybe the El Camino hehehe.

SQ is the SQUAD
09-18-2002, 09:02 AM
i want lambo style doors, ill even take delorean style doors

shepherd79
09-18-2002, 09:10 AM
hmmm, i don't know how you will do the back doors with that fender of ours.
does anyone have a picture from another car or something like that?

AZmike
09-18-2002, 10:50 AM
The hinges need to be on the same axis to even work. So if you put the hinges on the rear side of the rear doors and got them aligned so that they would open the doors would open out and down. If the hinges aren't on a vertical surface, the door won't swing horizontally. The farther the axis of the hinges is off vertical, the farther from horizontal the odd will open.

Did that make sense?

If not I'll try agian later when I have more time.

Either way, it won't be easy. How would the latch work?

tk89acc
09-18-2002, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by shepherd79
hmmm, i don't know how you will do the back doors with that fender of ours.
does anyone have a picture from another car or something like that?

Heres a pic.
http://www.streetsourcemag.com/uploads/Ownerprofiles/bodyslammed92/816200273213PM73671.jpg

T-Funk
09-18-2002, 12:49 PM
hahha fucking pimp

damackz
09-18-2002, 04:28 PM
:werd:

whiteboy
09-18-2002, 06:28 PM
they make lambo doors for 96-00 civics for $1500 conversion on www.asylumms.com or www.fusionimports.com if ur really interested in try to manipulate the latches it woudl look sweet

Jordan

shepherd79
09-18-2002, 07:16 PM
ohhh it looks ok. i still think it would look good if some one do this to the front door.

toastyghost
09-18-2002, 10:38 PM
DeLorean doors would look fucking dope!

I'm pretty sure (by eye, haven't measured everything just yet) that there is vertical room to mount the hinge in the rear jamb so that it would be on the same axis as it is when mounted normally to the front.

There seems to be some confusion about how I want to do this. My fault, but this is really hard to explain without getting muddled. Here's my mental vision of the conversion, step by step:

1. Break the frame piece of the left latch and tack it to the front of the door frame on the right side.
2. Remove the left hinge and put it on the back of the right door.
3. Remove the left handle and put it on the front of the right door so it lines up with the tacked latch piece from #1.
4. Patch the left handle hole with the cut from where the handle was moved to on the right door.
5. Repeat #'s 1 thru 4, inverting "left" and "right".

So everything that is getting moved is rotating 180 degrees and going on the other side of the car.

If there's any more confusion about this please post questions. I'm working on a diagram for my own reference, which I can post if necessary.

Any more ideas are welcome!

3rdgenSLIMER
09-19-2002, 10:45 AM
tk where did you find that pic? do you know the owner?

my trunk does that :-D :-D

tk89acc
09-19-2002, 10:58 AM
I dont know the owner i got it from www.streetsourcemag.com.

Its in owner profiles. There are some badass cars and trucks in there. Not to many cars that have to do with speed more for show.

SQ is the SQUAD
09-19-2002, 12:02 PM
the only thing with deloren doors is you cannot go to the mall or movies or your boxed in

87Hybrid
09-19-2002, 04:01 PM
If you do the delorian doors you should attacj the front and back doors into one and just have one big door to open, remove the center post and beef up the unibody under the doors the lenght of the car .

whiteboy
09-20-2002, 08:26 AM
hey
hha well i emailed a guy about doin it on an 89 lx-i 4dr at suicidedoors.com and this is what he said:

i know i could do it. finding the time to do it is impossible right
now. i have soooo much going on. to do that would run an easy
$3000.00 to do both doors. its not cheap. takes alot of time.

Thanks!
Jason Thorbecke
www.suicidedoors.com
812-782-3581

that was a guesstimate at doing both sides back doors

Jordan

Vanilla Sky
09-20-2002, 09:02 AM
i think i'd like to do delorean doors on a 3gee lude... that would be killer

Derick

toastyghost
09-20-2002, 10:37 AM
Do it!!

Thanks for the estimate. Simple but time consuming just as I suspected. :)/:P I'm going to wait until my other car's swap is done so I have something to drive, then I'm going to start on this. Don't know how long it will be til I have something worth showing for it though.

Chubs87Accord
09-21-2002, 10:53 PM
keep us posted man.. and def get some pics... i want to have suicide doors.. but i only got 2 doors, lol.. wouldnt look right, lol

tightwhitelx
09-22-2002, 02:13 AM
can you still have suicide doors with the handles shaved too?

tk89acc
09-22-2002, 02:14 AM
yes you can. The car in the pic has shaved handles.

tightwhitelx
09-22-2002, 11:54 AM
ok im going to get that done then cause i am going to get my handles shaved anyway but i didnt think i could get them suicided too.

toastyghost
09-22-2002, 09:37 PM
If anyone makes progress on this before I do (which is very likely knowing the way I am about projects) keep everyone updated!@

Jokez
05-17-2004, 03:05 PM
DeLorean doors would look fucking dope!

I'm pretty sure (by eye, haven't measured everything just yet) that there is vertical room to mount the hinge in the rear jamb so that it would be on the same axis as it is when mounted normally to the front.

There seems to be some confusion about how I want to do this. My fault, but this is really hard to explain without getting muddled. Here's my mental vision of the conversion, step by step:

1. Break the frame piece of the left latch and tack it to the front of the door frame on the right side.
2. Remove the left hinge and put it on the back of the right door.
3. Remove the left handle and put it on the front of the right door so it lines up with the tacked latch piece from #1.
4. Patch the left handle hole with the cut from where the handle was moved to on the right door.
5. Repeat #'s 1 thru 4, inverting "left" and "right".

So everything that is getting moved is rotating 180 degrees and going on the other side of the car.

If there's any more confusion about this please post questions. I'm working on a diagram for my own reference, which I can post if necessary.

Any more ideas are welcome!
There could be an easier solution.....buy a kit, wether it fits or not, I dunno.http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=2478943301&category=33642&sspagename=WDVW

PortugalFocus
05-17-2004, 04:47 PM
Holy old threads Batman! Sept of '02