PDA

View Full Version : Motor smoking help

rsxguy
12-07-2007, 03:00 PM
yea like the title says i think my motor is bad because its shooting oil to a tube thats connected to the airbox.(theres also oil on my air filter) also when the car is in idle and i open the oil cap smoke comes out like crazy. some people say my compression is messed up and the motor is no good. the car still runs fine but its burning oil and shooting to my air filter.

my question is can i do anything to fix it??or if i have to, can i just swap the head for another a20a3 head?? and if i do have to change motor what other motors do ya"ll recommend that uses the same motor mounts as our engines maybe a Frankenstein?? any input would be appreciated

Thanks

russiankid
12-07-2007, 03:04 PM
First, you need to change your PCV valve, or clean it im not sure if that is possible. Second, you need to replace the air breather filter(filter inside the little box that is attached to the air box on the left side).

rsxguy
12-07-2007, 03:14 PM
i dont think its the pcv valve cuz i just changed it awhile ago(but il try it and see). and if i replace the air filter it just gonna get soaked in oil again because its spitting oil in there.

rsxguy
12-07-2007, 03:39 PM
maybe this helps

rsxguy
12-07-2007, 03:41 PM
maybe this helps

http://img526.imageshack.us/my.php?image=a20a3ediths6.jpg

this is the tube thats connected to air box and squirting oil

coope
12-07-2007, 04:22 PM
it is ur pcv valve like russian said i doesnt matter if u replaced it if it's made by a human it still can be bad no matter how new it is it might be faulty but the motor is not bad

Oldblueaccord
12-07-2007, 05:41 PM
Blowby bad rings. Just run that tube into some container or get a little filter to put on the tube.Don't run it back into the intake. It just happend with mileage.

wp

rsxguy
12-09-2007, 07:50 PM
yea its not the pcv valve looks like internals damage

88Accord-DX
12-09-2007, 08:00 PM
The oil return holes might be clogged up, pushing oil up out of that tube. If you get lots of air coming up out the valve cover, then you have blow-by past the rings also.

Demon1024
12-09-2007, 09:34 PM
Any head from 86-89 you want the 88-89 tho.

jdaddy88lx-i
12-10-2007, 08:20 PM
OK, OK. I just now found this thread. Unfortunatly, I'm glad that at least one person other than myself knows this pain. The rings are gone. I know because my motors been doing the same thing for months now. It started out by just letting a little smoke(blowby) out of that tube. I thought at first it was the pvc. I replaced it with no luck. I thought maybe the drain holes were stopped up so I took off the valve cover and stuck a coat hanger down all the holes and got no sludge. It pushed more and more oil out as the rings get worse. The harder I drive, the more oil it pushes out. Sadly, I have to drive it for now plotting on a rebuild though.

If you're gonna drive it, take that hose out of the air box and put it somewhere else. Or get a short ram filter so no oil gets in the intake.

2oodoor
12-11-2007, 04:34 AM
an old trick on older model cars used to be to take the pvc valve out and just run streight suction. It has to be leak free though, an I dont know how well this will work on a Honda.
Another thing, any of you guys ever get oil fouled spark plug on a Honda that needs rings like that? I noticed on that D15 I had, the riings were flattened out, smoked bad .. sometimes.. but it never showed on the plugs other than a little ash but not a whole lot of that.

rsxguy
12-11-2007, 10:36 AM
alright thanks for the input guys so can i just swap the head and fix the problem??

2oodoor
12-11-2007, 12:15 PM
alright thanks for the input guys so can i just swap the head and fix the problem??

I did not see anyone say that, where did that come from?

Demon1024
12-11-2007, 12:35 PM
:huh:lol. No the rings are in the engine. bad rings = bad engine.:thumbdn: REBUILD time! or swap it out with one with lower miles

DBMaster
12-11-2007, 12:53 PM
When I saw the title of the thread it struck me as funny so here is my advice for a smoking motor. Force it to smoke two whole packs unless it throws up first. After that it should have no desire to smoke.

HondaBoy
12-11-2007, 01:39 PM
does it smoke at all through the exhaust? if so i'd suspect bad valve guides. but all of what you've said, sound like your piston rings are worn out. not the end if you know what you're doing when work on engines. dunno if you'd want to rebuild it or not but that will probably be the best choice.

Oldblueaccord
12-11-2007, 06:20 PM
http://img519.imageshack.us/img519/8743/blowbybreatherns5.th.jpg (http://img519.imageshack.us/my.php?image=blowbybreatherns5.jpg)

heres what mine looks like.

wp

jdaddy88lx-i
12-11-2007, 06:40 PM
when I mine first started smoking, I did not want to believe it was the rings cuase there wasnt any smoke from the tailpipe wich is to be expected when your rings go bad. After all this time, I still got nothing out the back just exhuast and oil from the valve cover.
Spark plugs are fine.

jdaddy88lx-i
12-11-2007, 06:46 PM
http://img519.imageshack.us/img519/8743/blowbybreatherns5.th.jpg (http://img519.imageshack.us/my.php?image=blowbybreatherns5.jpg)

heres what mine looks like.

wp
I got one of those little filters also and yours aint shit compared to mine. Man I really got a mess.:( I gotta find a camera

rsxguy
12-11-2007, 06:56 PM
yea thats what i thought of doing was a rebuild and yes smoke is also coming out my exhaust. il check it out this weekend

HondaBoy
12-12-2007, 02:30 PM
i would build it to a higher performance specification. its well worth it and shoud bring this motor where it needs to be. with mine, the piston rings are in good shape. but the cylinder head is another thing. i'm working on getting that fixed when i have a little more money. since its taking a while i may go ahead and get a performance cam installed with a few other goodies. probably machine the head and whatnot to make it more efficient.

MessyHonda
12-12-2007, 02:54 PM
IMO if you are going to rebuild you have to rebuild the whole engine. even if the bottom end is healthy it still has 100k+ miles. with a full rebuild it goes back down to zero. thats why im waiting for a full high compression NA build...looking for 160whp that is streetable and not just make power at like 7k rpm

2oodoor
12-12-2007, 03:21 PM
IMO if you are going to rebuild you have to rebuild the whole engine. even if the bottom end is healthy it still has 100k+ miles. with a full rebuild it goes back down to zero. thats why im waiting for a full high compression NA build...looking for 160whp that is streetable and not just make power at like 7k rpm

define rebuild Messy, you sound like you are talking about some USDM or a d series :wtf: haven't you been paying attention :huh::lol:

rsxguy
12-27-2007, 05:19 PM
alright i decided iam better off swapping the motor, but i dont want swap in a stock motor, so i wanna do a Frankenstein theme but i dont know much about these motors so what blocks and heads can i use???

thanks

MessyHonda
12-28-2007, 12:14 AM
the only motor that will bolt in will be a A20A1 and A20A3