PDA

View Full Version : So Funstick, any news on the ECM hack?

V8Astro Captain
09-17-2002, 08:09 PM
Just curious. My friends turbo project would move alot faster if I had any idea how to hack his ECM. I don't have the time to invest in it.

As we were discussing, the current plan is to use a 7749 GM ECM from a turbo Sunbird/Typhoon/Syclone.

The only hang-up is the distributer. I can't find a decent way to mount the pick-up coil from the Sunbird in the Honda distributor.

Even so, I'll have to play alot of tricks to get this ECM to run 4 saturated injectors because as you know this ECM is batch fire and fires left bacnk, right bank. So what the hell do I do if I only have 1 bank!?

I just read on diy-efi.org that GM also used the 7730 to run 2 P+H injectors. BUT, there were some open circuits across a couple terminals I think (I'd have to read it again). Looks like GM did some wacky stuff like jumpering terminals across the ECM pins to get it to do different things. Just so happens that the 7749 is in the same P4 ECM family as the 7730, so this project might end up a wet-flow manifold...

waddaya think?

Sean
09-17-2002, 08:30 PM
dude your over thinking this whole thing. first off the accord inectors are p/h. second just build a harness based on the sunbird schematics on the gm ecm site. the job is not that hard. i will have some working bin's soon. id be glad to share. go look at the sunbird schematics and get back to me. also consider tossing the accord efi harness away. its a pita to adapt. also the subird fires batch but this is not a big deal.

as for hacking the factory accord ecm forget it. not worth the trouble for a turbo project no timing contorl.

me and andy worked out the problems with accord dizzy a while ago. the dzy picup will fir the gm moduel just fine. also just lock out the mechanical and vacum advance.

youve got me email send questions like this there or put them over in the projects forum whee we have a thread on gmecm's

V8Astro Captain
09-18-2002, 08:17 AM
So you got the GM pick-up coil to fit the Honda distributor? Do you have any pics?

As for the batch fire, do I hook one driver to cylinders 1 and 2, the other 3 and 4. OR is it something like 1 and 3...2 and 4?

Sean
09-18-2002, 12:08 PM
just wire it the same as the sunird schematic end of story,

V8Astro Captain
09-18-2002, 05:18 PM
Ok I see what you're saying. You hooked the Honda pick-up coil to the GM ignition module.

Sean
09-18-2002, 08:56 PM
yeah thats what im doing