PDA

View Full Version : engine swap

fmh
12-10-2007, 08:46 AM
hi guys I have an 1989 accord lx manual transmision and is has been my daily driver for the past four years. now Im going to replace the engine because it started leaking oil from everywhere. and getting and engine cost about the same as fix in the engine.
I am trying to decide if i should replace with the same carb engine (A20A1) or just replace it with the fuel injection engine (A20A3) from the accord lxi.
how hard it would be to put the fuel injection engine in, and is it worth the time and money to change from carb to fuel injection or i should just stay with the carb engine. would I need a new tranny?
ps: both engines cost the same.
the tranny in the car is in very good shape

labeledsk8r
12-10-2007, 09:06 AM
the engines themselves are 100% swapable.. you just need to swap the fuel injected parts and wireing harness and etc etc... if you wanted you could buy the fuel injected engine and use your carb on it... there both almost identical engines... ust the intake and exhaust manifolds differ and what controles them.. and you can use your same transmition

che3wy
12-10-2007, 10:10 AM
if you do the swap into a efi you'll also need to change the gas tank and add the fuel pressure regulator and fuel lines, the gas tanks from the carb and fuel injected are different.

MessyHonda
12-10-2007, 10:25 AM
the fuel injected engine has a lil more compression and if its the same price might as well get the fuel injected engine and couple of extra ponnies.

GTRSkyline43
12-10-2007, 11:27 PM
Extra Ponies!!!!! Whoohoooo!!!

itzdave
12-10-2007, 11:59 PM
swapping to F.I. could be a pain in the bootay

Civic Accord Honda
12-11-2007, 03:53 AM
swaping to EFI is way worth it imo most ppl that have carb cars wont to swap to efi cuz
1. no more carb problems
2. more power 122hp ;)
3. better mpg
4. more dependable
5. more tunable

russiankid
12-11-2007, 03:58 PM
swaping to EFI is way worth it imo most ppl that have carb cars wont to swap to efi cuz
1. no more carb problems
2. more power 122hp ;)
3. better mpg
4. more dependable
5. more tunable

1.Nothing wrong with carbs
2.You will not get 122HP.
3. Not always.
4. Wrong, if cared for its dependable as hell.
5. For a DD, you don't need to tune.

itzdave
12-11-2007, 03:59 PM
yea, plus we can remove the black box for a few extra ponies too.

cubert
12-11-2007, 04:07 PM
1.Nothing wrong with carbs
2.You will not get 122HP.
3. Not always.
4. Wrong, if cared for its dependable as hell.
5. For a DD, you don't need to tune.

yea..people tend to get all scared of carbs because they dont know what to do with em :lol:

Ichiban
12-11-2007, 04:18 PM
:bs:

I know all about carbs, and I prefer the EFI system that monitors the engine and makes A/F ratio changes based on what's actually happening, not what should be happening at any given temperature or vacuum. Electric choke heaters? Come on. You ever hear of fuel injection freezing up in wet weather? Open your hood, see all that mess? It's an attempt to make up for the carburetors piss poor driveability, emissions and adaptive characteristics.

You guys are just afraid of fuel injection.:wave:

I actually have to agree with CAH on this one.

Oh, and how does removing the black box give you more power? Maybe if the vacuum mess (which EFI minimizes) is causing a problem and power loss, then removing it might solve it. But so would maintaining the system that is there.