PDA

View Full Version : So, just want to check my diagnosis

Kemikals
12-10-2007, 11:19 PM
So recently when driving and turning wheel keep hearing a clicking/popping sound so im going with a cv axle.
Another problem is a damn screeching/scraping noise coming from back left tire, im going with needs a new wheel bearing on that one.
But my last one i suck at diagnosing.
When I start my car it hangs at a low idle then after a few seconds will jump up to 2k to 1800 rpms then after a while move back down to around 800 or so. I dunno what it is, might be that the injectors or something else hell might be the distributor. Because also when im going and it's running fine i can see my rpms jump every once in a while like a quick 100 rpm boost. I don't know if that's just the tach cable being shot or what. so any ideas on that last one would really make my day :) thanks guys

Kemikals
12-13-2007, 09:06 AM
bump

iceman1357
12-15-2007, 02:16 PM
I had my tach jump on me after pulling pretty hard on a strataway a few times. It turned out to be my timming with the dizzy. lanching like I was doing must have moved it a bit so I turnd my dizzy clockwise just a bit (while looking at the flyweel timming marks) and that fixed the tach from jumping.

and yes when turning your wheel wile moving and you get a "chunk chunk" or a quick tapping its most likely your CV thats what its was on mine anyways. got the whole drive axle with wheel hub still attached at the boneyard for $25!

prolly a safe bet on wheel bearing too.

good luck hope that helped

lostforawhile
12-15-2007, 05:17 PM
there is no tach cable,it's electronic. if it starts jumping al over the place,check the wires coming from the dizzy to the coil, also there is a ground screw on the dizzy that hooks to that harness. if these check out it could be the module,a bad module won't read the magnet in the dizzy right and wil create wierd outputs to the coil. what you are looking at is actually the signal to the coil. if it's "dirty' from a bad wire or module the ignition won't work right,and you'll have all kinds of problems.

iceman1357
12-21-2007, 12:44 PM
...check the wires coming from the dizzy to the coil, also there is a ground screw on the dizzy that hooks to that harness. if these check out it could be the module,a bad module won't read the magnet in the dizzy right and wil create wierd outputs to the coil. what you are looking at is actually the signal to the coil. if it's "dirty' from a bad wire or module the ignition won't work right,and you'll have all kinds of problems.

huh... I didn't know about any of that... I just turned my dizzy and fixed it... I'll read up on my dizzy more now...

2drSE-i
12-21-2007, 02:12 PM
play with your fast idle valve a bit too, clean it up. If its not that then all youve done is saved yourself some time later.

w261w261
12-21-2007, 02:45 PM
When the tach jumps up "a quick 100 rpms," is the engine running faster or just the tach jumping. If it's the tach it could be the distributor starting to go. It was on mine at least.

Kemikals
12-22-2007, 09:27 AM
just the tach jumping, engine doesn't move a bit

jackal
03-08-2008, 10:08 PM
I had the same problem. Tach would bounce up occasionally and there was no way the engine rpms were actually going up then down that quickly. I replaced the distributor and the problem went away. I'm guessing it was the module on the distributor that was sending bad pulses.