PDA

View Full Version : Engine light on for "oil change due" on an 89 lx-i?

offthahook
12-11-2007, 03:01 PM
I called this dude about an 89 lx-i he has for sale. He nonchalantly tells me the oil change light is on. I asked him if it was the CEL. He said that it was the CEL... like "it's no big deal". He said the guy at Advance auto pulled the code and told him that, yes indeed, the light was just for the oil needing to be changed. The owner said he didn't know 1989 Hondas actually threw a code for an oil change needed and that the light would be reset with an oil change. Then, he tells me the guy he bought it from never said anything about the light being on and that the car runs fine. I didn't think the 89's threw a code for "maintenance due" items and if they did, that oil must be old as hell. The owner told me that the Advance guy told him that the 89 lx-i's will throw codes for all kinds of "normal" maintenance type issues (spark plugs, vibrations, etc). I'm thinking it's an O2 sensor or something that doesn't really affect performance, but does throw a code.

On the 89's, isn't the ECM under the driver seat and you count the blinks to get the issue/code? I can't see Advance auto guy doing that and looking it up. I can see the OBD2 scanner being used/hooked up at Advance Auto (on the newer cars), but not some employee pulling off the flap on the OBD1 ECM, counting the blinks, looking it up and saying "Oil Change" is all it is. Am I on the right track here or is it possible? Dude said it is not the oil light that is on. :wtf:

labeledsk8r
12-11-2007, 03:11 PM
ima say that dude was saying total BS, there is no oil change light on cars this old, just was unheard of... and the auto zone test?? theres no place to plug any type of tester into the car... not that i know of (corect me if im rong) i think it started with obd1 with being able to pull codes... the accord ECU is a flash only code and the listings of codes are on here someplace.... id say its porbably something more like a bad 02 sensor or something.... def DEF not a oil change light lol

moonjaw2002
12-11-2007, 03:29 PM
On a 89 the ecu is under the drivers seat,remove the little plastic cover and count the blinks.In the efi tech section the first post is on the codes.Mark

jdaddy88lx-i
12-11-2007, 07:02 PM
Only light you got for oil is one that flashes when it gets extremely low.

AZmike
12-11-2007, 07:50 PM
Only light you got for oil is one that flashes when it gets extremely low.

...or if the oil level is correct and you take a long left turn at a reasonably high speed.

Demon1024
12-11-2007, 08:31 PM
1. the oil pressure sender is out.if it is that light?
2. it's not an89 but a 90 built in last of 89
didn't the 1st gen have a oil change light?

Check the code before you buy it. there's a list somewhere here

AccordB20A
12-11-2007, 09:05 PM
the jdm cars dont have it so i guess your usa ones wont either.

Hauntd ca3
12-11-2007, 10:11 PM
its not an oil change light unfortunately, unless its a weird model
it will be an oil pressure warning light
dont know at exactly what pressure they are set at but it aint much
maybe 5 to 10 psi
if it stays on for more than 5 sec at start up or comes on going round a corner, it means that the oil pressure is low
that ends up stuffing the bearings as there is not enuff pressure to support thr crank.
if the level is fine,would suggest that the pump is tired and not worth having unless you can replace it you self

jdaddy88lx-i
12-11-2007, 10:42 PM
...or if the oil level is correct and you take a long left turn at a reasonably high speed.

you really did that?:wtf:

MessyHonda
12-12-2007, 12:44 AM
you really did that?:wtf:

it happens to me all the time....i guess the ST swaybar does it job.

AccordB20A
12-12-2007, 02:15 AM
ive never had that problem. Might have something to do with the b20a being made in japan:)

MessyHonda
12-12-2007, 12:41 PM
if the engine light is on....check the code on the ECU

2oodoor
12-12-2007, 12:43 PM
just check the car out and ignore what the dude says, these do not have maintenance reminders. If there is a CEL that has nothing to do with the condition of the basic engine, just fuel management and emissions.

jdaddy88lx-i
12-12-2007, 07:53 PM
it happens to me all the time....i guess the ST swaybar does it job.

so taking long high speed curves may throw the oil light on? I guess I wouldnt know with a slow ass car.

Dr_Snooz
12-14-2007, 10:41 PM
On the old '76 Accords, the "OIL" and "CHG" (charge) lights were right next to each other. If the car died, they'd come on and you could mistake "OIL CHG" for "oil change." Of course, by '89, they'd abandoned the text lights for icons.
I'm not sure why you're looking at this car, but given potentially serious engine problems and a shifty/clueless owner, you might want to think long and hard about this particular purchase.

offthahook
12-15-2007, 01:48 PM
On the old '76 Accords, the "OIL" and "CHG" (charge) lights were right next to each other. If the car died, they'd come on and you could mistake "OIL CHG" for "oil change." Of course, by '89, they'd abandoned the text lights for icons.
I'm not sure why you're looking at this car, but given potentially serious engine problems and a shifty/clueless owner, you might want to think long and hard about this particular purchase.

Yeah, he never emailed the pics. he said he would. I think he knew a CEL had nothing to do with an oil change being due or past due.

dlr1989
12-15-2007, 04:44 PM
You are correct, the 1st gen Accords had 3 resettable mechanical maintenance reminder indicators that were based on the odometer. One of them was an oil change reminder. After you performed the needed maintenance you reset them by using the ignition key to press a recessed button.

didn't the 1st gen have a oil change light?