PDA

View Full Version : Timing belt

jamsaccord
12-11-2007, 07:28 PM
Well to make it fairly short for now because im just looking for the info, apparently the bottom cog on my timing belt is stripped, and i was just wondering if this is as bad is if it breaks. sorry for the first post being so blunt , ive actually posted on here before i just couldnt get into my old account. any help is really appreciated!!

russiankid
12-11-2007, 07:41 PM
Don't try to start the car because you can damage the engine. You need to get the T-belt cover of and look at what is wrong. What exactly is stripped? The gear, or it is just missing the key?

jamsaccord
12-11-2007, 07:54 PM
ughhhh .. it actually broke down so ive tried to start it so much already ... im really not sure man i dont know the most about it , i guess i probably wont be able to get much help if i cant help myself but ill say what i know so far anyway. my dad was about to change the rotor button and distributor cap but they told him to check to see if the belt moves when u crank the car. so he put a mark on the belt and it didnt move... and he told me "the bottom cog on it is stripped, i dont know if its is bad as it breaking or if we can just get it changed and it be no big deal" or something along those lines.

Hauntd ca3
12-11-2007, 10:22 PM
dont want to scare you or nuthin, but chances are the motor is a boat anchor.
all honda motors that i've come across are whats known as interferance motors.
that means the valves will hit pistons if the cam stops turning and the crank keeps going.
if you havnt bent the valves or stuffed the pistons you are one of the lucky ones.
if you have an auto you might be lucky
maybe.
time the cam from scratch as the service manual says with a new belt and tensioner and do a comp test
that will tell you if anything has gone arse up.
just what ever you do, dont turn the motor if you feel it stop when you turn it over by hand.
take the plugs out to make it easier
if it turns over easy before you put a new belt on, would say you have bent valves
hope you get good news

coope
12-11-2007, 10:38 PM
a20's are non interference u'll be ok just replace what u need

MessyHonda
12-12-2007, 12:41 AM
yeah just replace the belt and time it up again and it should start..

w261w261
12-12-2007, 06:10 AM
There's been a lot of messages on this interference-engine idea. Literature says the engine is interference, but the members' experience here demonstrates that it isn't. So replace the timing belt, do the water pump while you're at it, and get back on the road! No sweatski.

AccordB20A
12-12-2007, 12:29 PM
Yup. Non interferance engine ftw. New belt and u'll have that thing running in an hour

itzdave
12-12-2007, 03:45 PM
i dunno if its interference or not, when i threw a rod, i could see marks on the valve where it hit the piston, luckily they werent bent tho, i also gotsa 272 cam.

88Accord-DX
12-13-2007, 04:52 PM
9 times out of 10, your ok. (some people don't get so lucky)
From seeing this happen before. Most of the time teeth on the belt strip out from the belt being old & worn out - past the interval change. If you want, there are 2 tests that can ease your mind. Install the belt correctly & do a compression check or leak down test. More than likely, a compression check. Compression shouldn't vary more than 20 psi between all the cylinders. Lowest compression you want, is around 100 psi.

Demon1024
12-14-2007, 12:56 AM
I was unlucky once just replaced the head.only had on go on me and it bent valves but my valve clearances were to the lowest spec don't know if it made the difference but new head ftw!

AccordB20A
12-14-2007, 03:54 AM
i dunno if its interference or not, when i threw a rod, i could see marks on the valve where it hit the piston, luckily they werent bent tho, i also gotsa 272 cam.

Naturally its gunna hit the valves if you throw a rod lol. The piston doesnt know when to stop.

When my B20A ran its bearing it threw two rods, out the block.. haha not very pretty. I know for sure thats a interfearance engine lol