PDA

View Full Version : fog lights

gp02a0083
12-13-2007, 09:23 PM
ok well ive had my fogs on my car since September, but now i noticed they dont work , probably due to the fact that the switch i used burnt out. I used a cruise control switch for it , but i noticed im probably passing too much current through it as i noticed that the switch would get warm. i know other members use C.switches for their fog lights anyone have an idea with this problem?

A18A
12-13-2007, 09:33 PM
no relay or something like that

AccordB20A
12-14-2007, 04:04 AM
Put a relay in there. that shd stop any more problems you may have.

itzdave
12-14-2007, 11:12 AM
or you could just go to radio shack etc. and get a plain ol toggle switch, thats what i did.

russiankid
12-14-2007, 09:38 PM
I have been using a CC-switch for a long time now and i don't have any problems. Do you have a relay?

lostforawhile
12-14-2007, 10:18 PM
yep if you had a relay the switch wouldn't be carrying more then milliamps. it's a microswitch in there,it's not rated for more then an amp or so,and you've probably been passing more then ten amps through it

gp02a0083
12-14-2007, 11:28 PM
no i dont have a relay in there, basically i bought a set from wal-mart, they provided a switch , but i was looking for something that looks stock. i believe lost is right with the higher amps/current that is running through the switch, thois would exlain why the switch warmed up. what relay are you running/and or anyone has the part # for raidoshack, i dont have a voltmeter to test what i would need for resistance and such.

thanks
dave

lostforawhile
12-15-2007, 07:47 AM
no i dont have a relay in there, basically i bought a set from wal-mart, they provided a switch , but i was looking for something that looks stock. i believe lost is right with the higher amps/current that is running through the switch, thois would exlain why the switch warmed up. what relay are you running/and or anyone has the part # for raidoshack, i dont have a voltmeter to test what i would need for resistance and such.

thanks
daveit's just a standard bosch relay,any auto parts store should have one,tell them you need it for aux lights. two of the terminals are the contacts for the light,you have a fused wire coming from the battery,this goes to one terminal,the other terminal is power out to your lights. then you have a hot wire from the coil on the relay and a ground for the coil. ground the ground side of the coil,then the hot side of the coil goes to your switch and you run power from something in the car to the other side of the switch. usually if you run power into the switch from something like the running or parking lights, your fogs will turn off when you turn off your lights,so no chance of leaving them on.

lostforawhile
12-15-2007, 07:51 AM
here i found you a diagram,i think even the relay pin numbers are correct. the main thing different,is this shows a lighted switch and the cruise switch is a little different is all. no big change. http://www.accessconnect.com/fog_driving_lights_wiring.htm