PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust heat shield question.

turabaka
12-13-2007, 10:28 PM
I finally ordered the parts for my new exhaust. 2.25 stainless steel tubing, magnaflow cat, and magnaflow muffler, with a 22" resonator.

My question is. do I need to keep the heatshield above the exhaust pipes on the car, or can I take them off? What about taking all of the ones except the one right above the cat? Do I even need that one since the magnaflow cat already has a heatshield on it?

labeledsk8r
12-13-2007, 11:12 PM
id recomend leaveing them on just for safe mesure.... if you drive long enough it can throw some high heat off of it. id say leave them. but you might wana see about tightening them down a bit, im guessing there loose and thats why your asking lol

LiTtLe xOx BitT
12-14-2007, 08:56 AM
I took mine off and had it like that for over a year and never had any types of problems.

snoopyloopy
12-14-2007, 09:08 AM
i haven't been under there in awhile, so i might be wrong. but if i remember correctly, idt there's the protective spray for the under body if you take them off. so if you live in a rust-prone place, i'd leave them on.

turabaka
12-14-2007, 04:59 PM
no rust in Idaho, and no it doesn't rattle. I was just wondering if it was necesary because it's weight reduction if I take it off.

itzdave
12-14-2007, 05:03 PM
ya wont loose but about 3 pounds if ya take em all off, i wouldnt worry bout it. if ya want weight reduction, start elsewhere, p/s, a/c, black box removal (highly recomend, but not really much w/r)

labeledsk8r
12-14-2007, 05:20 PM
i dont even think you will get 3 lbs out from takeing that off... im all about weight reduction and i take every bolt off i can to loose it.. but i would look elseware for weight reduction...

turabaka
12-14-2007, 05:34 PM
mkay then. I guess I'll just leave it on.

MessyHonda
12-15-2007, 01:19 AM
i would leave it on...it keeps the heat away from the rear brake lines and gas lines.

A20A1
12-16-2007, 09:53 PM
I agree you need to protect gas lines and brake lines.
Also keep on any shielding that might be by the gas tank because extra heat will just promote more vapor in the tank. I leave the shielding on when I install customers mufflers unless the shielding was integrated onto the muffler.

Other than that the ones by the cat should help keep the shifter area from becoming hot, I've removed that shield and my center floor gets pretty toasty.

HondaBoy
12-17-2007, 02:27 PM
personally, i'd never take any factory installed heat shields off. they are there for one reason, and thats to protect your car and its parts from heat damage. not to mention taking the heat shield off where the cat goes will likely make it nice and hot right by your legs. so dont be a fool and take any of that off.

AccordB20A
12-17-2007, 04:57 PM
On every car i have owned i have removed that shitty metal. Its just another thing to cut urself on when working on ur car haha