PDA

View Full Version : big ass slick tyres 17" x 9"

nzBA1lude
12-15-2007, 08:04 PM
I am fitting some 17" x 9" slick tyres to my 2nd gen prelude race car
before i get wheels for them i have a couple of quick questions
i currently have 7 inch wide tyres on 6 1/2" rims with a 53mm offset and they just clear the hub arm ,if i get 9 inch tyres they will extend 1 inch further in so i need 1 inch less off set dont I like 25mm off set rims??

secondly i will be dropping the car at least 4 inchs till it just clears the ground so i believe the top of the current tyres would be covered by the guards , only problem is these tyres will stick out 2 inchs more so will i be able to roll the guards out far enough for this or will i have to buy or fabricate a widebody kit?? , keeping in mind the car will be running super hard springs so they wont travel very far up into the guards while racing maybe 1.5 inchs under a hard impact if i hit the end of the ripple strips if they occasionaly hit its not a big problem.

if the rolling diameter is alot bigger (i am not sure how much bigger they will be) will i run into inner guard rub while turning??
i could limit this to like 3/4 or 2/3 of original turning angle as it is a race car and doesnt need to 3 point turn

seeing as i will have bigger wheels i can fit bigger brakes i would rather fit bigger standard brakes from another car than just get a big brake kit. any ideas what i could fit i was thinking r33/34 gtr skyline brakes alloy 4 pot brakes and 14.5 inch rotors??

and last question arent you jealous i managed to get some barly used slick tyres this big for $5 each ...:cheers::cheers:??

coope
12-15-2007, 08:15 PM
what num. are u runing to run slicks enyway

nzBA1lude
12-15-2007, 08:24 PM
what num. are u runing to run slicks enyway
sorry i dont understand wat u mean by "wat num. are you running"
could you please explain

89T
12-15-2007, 08:32 PM
what numbers are you running(1/4 mile time) to warrant slicks?

nzBA1lude
12-15-2007, 08:59 PM
what numbers are you running(1/4 mile time) to warrant slicks?
i havent run it on a drag strip yet only done circuit racing but if i changed the suspension setup and had the slicks it would do about a 13.5 prob just under 13 with a lsd which will be coming soon

but so far i have aimed most of my efforts to making it stop and corner
power gains have been mostly full exhaust system rebuild and quad throttle bodys with cold air intake so im looking at like 190 hp
but the cars now 900kg and easily outbrakes most cars and corners like its on rails
its just out of corners it wheel spins under acceleration so big slicks are cheeper than a lsd at this stage and also help cornering and fitting bigger brakes

main reason i am getting them is i got a hugely good deal on the tyres cos the building the guy uses is out of lease so he is moving out and selling his tyres and stuff

AccordEpicenter
12-15-2007, 09:45 PM
what lsd are you using? This is an a20 right? I dont think lowering the car more than about 2-2.5 in or so is going to really help your cause because you are losing alot of your suspension travel and that is critical to keeping traction in extreme manuvers, whats your springs and shocks setup? I bet youre going to need to roll the fenders out a little bit or possibly do some kind of widebody kit or extended fender a little to try and stuff all that tire in there, but it might be doable but i think its gonna limit your tuning radius if you encounter much rubbing with a 9" tire on somthing that tall with alot of drop. I run 13X8w drag slicks on a 7.5" rim and they fit good but they are only 22" tall so they are alot smaller in height than the 17s you want to run . Cheap slicks are fine so long as they arent dry rotted or heat cycled too much, especially on drag slicks.

A18A
12-15-2007, 11:20 PM
i would assume its a b20a, going to get a b16 lsd, not sure.. i want pics of the engine with the quad throttle bodies!!

nzBA1lude
12-15-2007, 11:40 PM
yea its b20a if i go lsd i will get a b16a one
i am lowering it because its just to high at the moment and has to much body roll
thinking about it it will prob have more than the couple of inchs suspension travel i specified will have standard shocks (they are brand new though) as i havent found any konis yet , 450 lb front 380 lb back also will up grade anti roll bars

they are 245/625 r17
so about 25 inchs tall
slicks look really good condition they were run for one race weekend and have about 1/2 rubber left

has anybody ever seen a 2nd gen prelude or even a 3rd gen prelude with a widebody kit
or know of somebody to make it

quad throttle bodies are a work in progress will put up a post when they are done
i was going to go sleeper but i have decided its so loud anyway i might as well put a subaru wrx letterbox scoop on the bonnet

rustlude87
12-17-2007, 11:03 PM
17" is too big for preludes you should go with a 15" wheel if you are doing circuit racing

17" are also for looks and if your worried about that you should not be racing

The smaller the diameter of the wheel the better, wheels have less mass to rotate.

If I were you look for some 13" or 14" wheels and put a 245 series tire on it

Finally for coilovers get ground control ones with like 1000lb stiffness it the front

nzBA1lude
12-18-2007, 10:18 PM
i would go with 15s but in new zealand its alot easier to get used 17 inch tyres than 15s because they run them in a few race series
and as for having more mass that would be out weighed by the fact i can put much larger brake rotors

AccordB20A
12-19-2007, 12:06 AM
mean, You think your lude will do 13.5?!? Thats poretty damn fast. I woodnt doubt you either.. We have stripped out our red racer lude and its damn fast for a stock b20a

rustlude87
12-19-2007, 10:53 PM
Not that bigger brakes will help it just more mass rotating on the drive axles which means that the power to the wheels will be slower

AccordB20A
12-20-2007, 07:16 PM
At least he can stop after speeding. I recon brakes > speed