PDA

View Full Version : Motor Break In Procedure ( Flog-it method )

89T
12-15-2007, 08:16 PM
there are a few engine w/wo turbo builds going on and i felt i would pass on some info i found on break-in procedures.enjoy!

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

original info posted on crn.http://forums.coloradoracing.net/index.php?showtopic=97746
I am a big fan of hard breakins, but there must be 1 solid condition met: It must be done with a good tune! You don't want to be bringing a fresh motor into the world with an assload of knock!

I did my last breakin with the mototune method... I put in stock injectors and returned the car to n/a. Here's the rest:

1) Started the car and let it idle, played with the rpm's a bit and let it nearly get up to temp on jackstands.
2) Killed it and changed the oil. (To clean out any assembly junk).
3) Started it, got it up to temp and went and beat the piss out of it! Actually, I did WOT pulls to 4k, then decel to 2k, then WTO to 5k, decel to 2k, wot to 6k, decel. etc.
4) Go home and change the oil

Right after that, compression #'s were 174 exactly in all 4 cylinders (with 9:1 compression). A stock, healthy integra GSR (10.1:1 compression) yields the same compression #'s at altitude.

Some excellent info from one of the best honda builders in the business:

One of the most asked questions is how do I break in my new motor? The short answer is that no break-in is necessary. The only thing that is necessary is to seat the rings. All clearances and fitments should be perfect after blueprinting and precision assembly. So how many miles do you have to drive it to seat the rings? The cylinders are round, the rings are round, the bore is freshly honed and therefore your engine should be ready for tuning immediately. They will continue to seat better over a short period of time but you should be ready to go tune right away.
Do I need to drive it 500 miles before I tune it? Absolutely not. How about 50 miles? No. Perhaps the best thing to do is to drive it all the way to your trailer and tow it to a competent tuner. In second position on the “things NOT to do list” is trying to break in an un-tuned engine by driving it. Too lean an air/fuel will begin to heat and distort parts, too rich will wash the oil off the cylinders causing premature wear. What is in first place on the “things NOT to do list”? Boost on an un-tuned motor. Within 2 to 3 seconds the pistons and cylinders can be ruined.
Well I did put in a new base map or I’m just running off the stock Honda computer. Can’t I drive it like that for a few miles? I’m not even boosting. Well what is the base map? Just someone’s idea of what numbers will start your car. Just an educated guess by someone who does not have a clue what components you are running in your set-up. It’s not intended to drive on for any extended period of time. The same with that stock Honda computer. It could be ok but it could also be dangerously wrong.

So what exactly do I do at the first engine start-up? Pull the spark plugs and crank the motor with your starter for a maximum of 30 seconds or until you see the oil pressure gauge begin to register. Re-install the plugs and wires and fire up that candle. While keeping one eye on the oil pressure gauge, use your other eye to scan for fuel leaks. If there are no fuel leaks, look under the motor for any major oil or coolant leaks. If that is ok, run the engine for 5 to 10 minutes while keeping an eye on the temperature and pressure gauges. Keep the rpm’s between 1000-3000. Shut the engine down and double-check everything. You are now ready for tuning.

But my engine was already tuned from my previous set-up. Well, what happened to your previous set-up? Did you melt a stock piston or crack a cylinder? No problem because now you have forged pistons and sleeves? Wrong. Although you now have stronger components that will take more abuse, you are still not right on your air fuel mixture. Get that thing tuned properly ASAP.

OK, I did it my way instead of yours and now I’m burning a lot of oil. What happened? Well basically you scarred up the skirt of the piston, messed up the surface of the cylinder wall and maybe even egg shaped the cylinder. New pistons are tapered smaller on the top to larger at the bottom of the skirt. Your piston to wall clearance is measured at the bottom of the skirt. As the engine warms up to operating temperature, the upper portion of the piston begins to expand slightly. The bottom of the skirt does not expand much. When you boost in a lean condition, the upper part of the piston expands quickly. Since the ring land area is cut smaller than the tapered skirt below it, the first part of the piston that pushes into the cylinder wall is just below the oil ring. Thus you will see the worst scarring on your piston right under the ring lands where the excess heat is the highest

http://members.cox.net/elaskey/p2x.jpg

The more heat that is generated, the harder the piston pushes into the cylinder wall. The uninformed would blame the piston damage on bad piston to wall clearance. Untrue. If that were the problem, the damage would show up at the very bottom of the skirt. What has happened is that you have expanded your piston to the point that it has just ground itself into the cylinder wall. Keep expanding the piston by super heating it and it will push your cylinder egg shaped and maybe even balloon out the cylinder slightly. At the same time this is happening, your ring lands will begin to distort to where they will never seal properly again. Sometimes after doing this, the engine will still run but it will be a smoker. This all happens in a few seconds of high boost with a lean air fuel ratio. Also it can happen from 500 freeway miles of driving where the tune up is off enough to build excess heat at a slower rate, thus doing the same damage over a longer period of time…but the end results are the same. Death to your pistons and cylinder walls.

OK, I’m just going to turn the fuel pressure way up and run extra fat, that way I won’t hurt anything. If you run too rich, you will “wash out” the rings. First, excess fuel will run down the cylinders taking the lubricating oil with it. This promotes direct metal-to-metal contact between the rings and the cylinder wall. This contact does several things. The upper ring begins to wear quickly. The middle ring is actually designed as a tapered oil scraper (it is not used for compression control at all) and the taper will begin to wear down to where it becomes flat rather than angled. When that happens, it can no longer control oil away from the combustion chamber. The last thing that happens is that pretty cross hatch design begins to wear off of the cylinder wall. While most people think that the cross hatch is there to help seat the rings, it also has a secondary purpose. That is to hold microscopic amounts of oil in the grooves to help lubricate ring to cylinder walls. With the walls smooth and no oil control help from the middle ring and a tired upper ring, oil will begin to mix with fuel in the combustion chamber. When this happens, your 93 octane fuel probably hits a value of about 80. Then detonation comes into play and begins to beat holes in the pistons, among other things.

So whom can I blame for this mess? The blind machinist that honed my piston to wall clearance? That poor quality Brand X piston manufacturer? The idiot pro engine builder that assembled my block? My ex-friend that helped me put this all together? Those ignorant engineers that gave me a bad base map with my engine management system? The guy on the internet message board whose buddy knows that it takes at least 1000 miles of break in before you can tune an engine properly? All of the above? Probably none of the above. Go look in a mirror and ask…who started this engine and had no idea what the air fuel ratio was? Who just wanted to jump on it one time to see if it would haul? Who didn’t know that their injectors were at 100% duty cycle at 4000 rpm but they wanted to see how it would run at 6000 rpm? Why it was you. Get that thing tuned right away. You will notice that the more you drive a tuned motor, the stronger it will feel. This is just the rings seating in their final 5-10% as they thank you for tuning first.

89T
12-15-2007, 08:23 PM
i have personally used servions method with much success http://forums.coloradoracing.net/html/emoticons/smile.gif

here is how we broke my first motor in :

start car up, let it warm up, check for leaks
change oil (non detergent) and filter
start car up, find a empty road, get into 2nd gear. floor it get it up close to redline (the idea is to get 0 vaccum on the motor to seal the top compression ring) , let off the gas and let the engine slow the car down (engine braking.. the idea is to get full vaccum on the motor to seal the bottom compression ring) ..
normally do this 4-5 times in 2nd gear and 4-5 times in 3rd gear.
normally ~ 20 miles.

go home, change oil.

after the process i drive the car in town (varied driving conditions for ~ 3-400 miles.
change oil http://forums.coloradoracing.net/html/emoticons/smile.gif

i did this down on south powers on my first motor.
came back home, (servions house) and checked the compression.
it was 148 psi accross the board. 9.0-1 sohc vtec motor.

this motor one blew because of a wrongly installed thrust bearing.. do a search for my name, there is a old thread about it http://forums.coloradoracing.net/html/emoticons/wink.gif

on the second motor
did the same thing with a added oil change before i went out and beat on it.
this time i was turbo'd at the time, so i broke it in on ~ 8psi of boost http://forums.coloradoracing.net/html/emoticons/ohmy.gif (didnt have my header)

my first race was agaisnt cory's brother with ~14.3 miles on the motor http://forums.coloradoracing.net/html/emoticons/smile.gif

compression test showed ~ 150 across all 4 cylinders,
2 weeks later (~400 miles) compression was ~ 152ish in all cylinders http://forums.coloradoracing.net/html/emoticons/smile.gif

if i ever build another motor (cough:mustang:cough) i plan to break the motor in the same as i did my current one.

my motor has well over 4000 miles on it.
anyone that knows me know how i drive my car.
hot lapping, full boost highway pulls, non stop racing out east.
not one problem yet.

i plan to do a compression check wednesday before i hit the track again, but i dont see any problems (and the numbers will probaly be higher due to my lower elevation now)

great topic http://forums.coloradoracing.net/html/emoticons/smile.gif
update:

checked my compression today.
175 psi across all 4 cylinders. http://forums.coloradoracing.net/html/emoticons/smile.gif

EDIT: the 175 psi compression test was performed in las vegas at ~ 2100ft altitude.

according to a few searches on honda-tech, most people on a stock motor (9.6-1 c/r) are getting ~ 185 at sealevel.

AccordEpicenter
12-15-2007, 09:51 PM
good read!

89T
12-16-2007, 07:14 AM
i thought it would be....
everyone on this board seems to think you have to baby the motor after a rebuild,i was always told break it in the same way you'r going to drive it. so beat on it with a good tune of course....

AccordEpicenter
12-16-2007, 09:01 AM
I was always told to start it and let it idle til the fan came on and then put a few miles on it, then dump the oil, then go out and do 2000-6000 pulls at wot on the highway, then engine brake back down and go again a few times to get some ring seal. I think my engine was maybe on the lean side because i didnt account for the new head/headwork/cam/intake manifold, im thinkin the engine needed much more fuel in boost. This engine im gonna run on maybe 5psi to break it in...

Accordtheory
12-16-2007, 09:28 AM
I'm not exactly sure why some of the old school builders have a different philosophy on this subject, but I was taught that it takes cylinder press to seat the rings, and you have a limited window of opportunity to do this. (I don't understand the opportunity thing though. If the rings and cyl wall wear to fit each other, what difference does it make how long it takes? How could you lose the opportunity to get enough wear?? Is it that the wall and rings wear at different rates as compared to each other based on load? If they did, how would that work? Say you keep beating on the motor, are the rings going to get "unbroken"? No, they just wear out, the end gaps get bigger.) My rings are moly coated though, and if they wear at all, the coating is gone. In other words, the clearance variances are so small, there is virtually no break in. I don't know if the old schoolers were afraid of spinning rod bearings, etc, but I can't imagine the clearances would be so off that metal to metal contact could actually be gradually alleviated through break in.

As far as tuning, how lean can you run a motor on pump gas at a steady cruise without causing damage? I've read that some carburetor setups ran at almost 18:1, before the days of emission controls and catalytic converters. I think most tuners on h-t don't take it much past 15.5-16:1, but I don't know.

AccordEpicenter
12-16-2007, 01:21 PM
yeah i think that 16:1 ish or so for cruise will get you great mileage and should be fine soo long as you go significantly richer in boost and or wot conditions. As for bearings, if they are installed with the correct clearances and there are no problems then you can go to town on them with a fresh engine and it wont hurt them.

89T
12-16-2007, 04:00 PM
16:1 is great for highway cruising,but you want to run 12.5:1 under boost. this is where you will find the most efficiant power.i belive it is like13.2:1 or 13.5:1 for na cars.
to answer the question on old school builders is back in the day the cross hatch in the cylender walls were course and it took time to wear them correctly. too much pressure would over wear the rings.

How Do Rings Seal Against Tremendous Combustion Pressure ??

From the actual gas pressure itself !! It passes over the top of the ring, and gets behind it to force it outward against the cylinder wall. The problem is that new rings are far from perfect and they must be worn in quite a bit in order to completely seal all the way around the bore. If the gas pressure is strong enough during the engine's first miles of operation (open that throttle !!!), then the entire ring will wear into
the cylinder surface, to seal the combustion pressure as well as possible.
The Problem With "Easy Break In" ...
The honed crosshatch pattern in the cylinder bore acts like a file to allow the rings to wear. The rings quickly wear down the "peaks" of this roughness, regardless of how hard the engine is run.

There's a very small window of opportunity to get the rings to seal really well ... the first 20 miles !!

If the rings aren't forced against the walls soon enough, they'll use up the roughness before they fully seat. Once that happens there is no solution but to re hone the cylinders, install new rings and start over again.

Accordtheory
12-16-2007, 05:25 PM
I have my reservations about that explanation, as written in my above post. I don't think you lose that window completely. I think as long as there's nothing wrong with the rings, if you boost/beat on it, they'll attain a good seal, regardless if you already drove the car easy as an old lady for the last 10k miles. It might take longer to get them to seal, but I think they still will.

I am in no way arguing against the method advised by motoman, I agree with his procedures, I am just saying if you were easy on the motor at first, all hope is not lost.

As far as the tuning the part throttle, one day it occured to me that people normally tune for air, (certain map) with fuel and timing as the variables. Well, what happens if you tune for fuel instead? As in try to extract the most energy possible from a cetain pulse width, by tuning the manifold press and timing for the pulsewidth instead? What ratios and timing would you end up with? Considerably different than the oem maps, which are set to accomodate a catalytic converter. Programs like hondata aren't set up to easily facilitate that way of tuning, but that way of thinking is how you'd end up with leaner than 14.7..and it's how I'm going to tune my car this spring. I just have to find a dyno that can hold the motor at a steady rpm somewhere not 500 miles away.

89T
12-16-2007, 06:03 PM
i think what he is getting at is after so many miles the cross hatches smooth out. kinda like a knife, when its sharp it cuts nice but after awhile it gets dull and doesn't cut anymore. idk if that makes sence...

i had my car tunned by servion so i probably am not the one to ask your fuel tuning method. but it sounds like your trying to re-invent the wheel.
to your knowledge has anyone done that?
the closest dyno i can think of is in the springs...

Accordtheory
12-17-2007, 04:54 PM
I'm sure most competent tuners do it, they just don't describe it that way. They also mostly won't talk about such things, as not only is it far above most people's head's, tuners seem to hate to give out specific info/numbers/anything that people could either try to emulate, fuck up and blame on them, or use and cut into their business. Anyway, if you look at a fuel map, since all the values are filled in on the axis' of map and rpm, it's not directly obvious what's going on as far as trying to get a lower bsfc by taking out fuel in a certain intersect point, because then the motor is actually running at a higher map point to generate the same power. I think that would confuse most people, they would only see a power drop for that map point, when their mpg would actually be better.

cygnus x-1
12-17-2007, 10:14 PM
You tune fuel and timing because those are things that the computer can control. The computer adjusts pulse width and timing in response to changes in MAP and RPM, not the other way around. I don't see what you would gain by setting a pulse width and then adjusting the MAP and timing to it. I think you'll end up with the same thing.

C|

Accordtheory
12-17-2007, 11:05 PM
You don't understand what I mean.

Ichiban
12-18-2007, 12:09 AM
In regards to the rings, from what I understand, you want to seat them, ie wear them in while the cross hatch pattern is still sharp and fresh. After prolonged driving at mediocre speeds, the cross hatch pattern which retains oil, will glaze with carbonized oil byproducts. The purpose of the WOT pulls is to load the rings against the cylinder walls so they can wear in, but not long enough to create enough heat to coke the oil and cause glaze, which prohibits further ring seating. That is why you pull from 2-5K RPM, allowing loading/cooling cycles.

If you understand what I'm saying.

Ichiban
12-18-2007, 12:12 AM
As far as the tuning the part throttle, one day it occured to me that people normally tune for air, (certain map) with fuel and timing as the variables. Well, what happens if you tune for fuel instead? As in try to extract the most energy possible from a cetain pulse width, by tuning the manifold press and timing for the pulsewidth instead? What ratios and timing would you end up with?

The computer can't modify air, your right foot does that. The computer can only modify injector pulse width and ignition, so why would you try to tune for parameters the computer can not control? Inevitably, MAP is controlled by TP vs RPM, neither of which the computer can control. Just curious.

Accordtheory
12-18-2007, 10:26 AM
My whole thesis on this is basically extrapolated from clues certain tuners on h-t have been dropping for a while. When a tuner says that you can get better mpg from running leaner than stoich with more timing, that got me thinking. I didn't see how taking out fuel past 14.7 for a given map point would give you more power. As far as I know, it doesn't. So then I thought, wait a minute, maybe I'm not seeing the big picture. The point of tuning for part throttle is to get the most energy out of every pulsewidth, not out of a certain amount of air. So if it's more efficient, why not put that pulsewidth on a higher manifold press part of the map? If you have a vac/boost guage in your car, you know that at a certain cruise speed, your guage will have a certain reading. But what I am saying is totally counterintuitive because with what I'm describing, the guage will actually read a slightly higher manifold press, for the same cruise speed, yet the motor is actually using less fuel, since at that higher map press, the pulsewidth is able to generate more power, so you end up with a slightly shorter pulsewidth to achieve the same cruise speed (power). Most people would see the higher manifold press and assume that the motor is under a higher load/must be putting out more power, but it isn't. It's just running leaner with a very slightly shorter pulsewidth.
Thing is, how do you tune this. With tuning part throttle for a given manifold press, you just add/subtract fuel and timing until you're at the most power. Oem maps just put the fuel at 14.7 and put the timing either where it's safe or at mbt, if that's safe with the available fuel. But when tuning leaner than 14.7, you essentially have 3 variables at once coming into play, so it's not so simple. I was trying to eliminate one of the variables by describing the scenario of moving the certain pulsewidth up and down on the map scale.

Here's some real "food for thought". What is the advantage of drive by wire? (computer controlled throttle)....

If any of this is incorrect, if you do actually get more power for a certain map press by running leaner than stoich, I don't understand how that would be, if you know, please explain. I believe that you would get a lower bsfc (mpg) by running with more air because it increases the motor's dynamic compression. That is why diesels are more efficient than gasoline motors, they have a much higher mechanical compression ratio and don't have a throttle, so their dynamic compression is much higher. The btu content difference in fuels is minor in comparison.

Accordtheory
12-18-2007, 10:28 AM
I'm going to post this on h-t and try to get some feedback on there, and then if it's worth anything, I'll post it back on 3geez. I should probably start my own thread though, rather than jacking 89turboed's...

Ichiban
12-18-2007, 08:18 PM
Well, I seem to remember reading in my High Performance Honda Handbook (which is 8 hours away so I can't readily reference it), most ECU maps DO run considerably leaner than stoich under part throttle low load conditions. Heavier fueling is not required until MAP decreases. In fact, I do believe that under no load/no throttle/high MAP conditions the computer may augment the a/f ratio all the way to 22:1 (imagine engine braking while driving down a hill) This is simply to reduce afterfiring and emissions.

Anyways, I believe that part throttle "cruising" mixtures can be leaner than stoich, because you can achieve a rapid clean burn, and with little load you don't have the cylinder pressures present to force detonation. It's simply more efficient. I'm still not sure how this would relate to your wanting to tune to a given injector pulse with, and vary the intake pressure value.

Diesel has approximately 15% more energy per volume unit than gasoline.

cygnus x-1
12-18-2007, 08:44 PM
I'm going to post this on h-t and try to get some feedback on there, and then if it's worth anything, I'll post it back on 3geez. I should probably start my own thread though, rather than jacking 89turboed's...

Agreed on starting a new thread. So instead of replying here I'll start new one and copy in your big post. Sorry man. I couldn't wait! :D

C|