PDA

View Full Version : auto cv axel length

newtuner
12-17-2007, 05:45 PM
ok this is fuc*ed!! i had my auto and passenger side cv replaced by a shop and i think they used a manual cv axel instead of a auto... its on the passenger side and its sticking out away from the trans like 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch and leaking fluid all over the place!!?!?:wtf: is there any kind of seal that this could be because of?? is the manual cv longer or shorter?? any info would be helpful thanks all!

ok so i checked around online and figured out that it isnt the cv axel length... the seal must be bad??!? im guessin.. as long as the car hasnt been driven w/ the leak i should just beable to repair it and refill it right??

MessyHonda
12-18-2007, 01:18 AM
take it back to the shop and tell them they used the wrong part

StressSolutions
12-18-2007, 04:45 PM
That is what I'd do, take it back and make them fix it. I need to change the right side, too. bleh

Demon1024
12-18-2007, 07:50 PM
Hell the manual and auto are the same on the pass. side they didn't make sure it went all the way in or the ring on the end is bad/isn't there. yeah long as you didn't go to far just fill it back up.just make sure to use honda fluid or motor oil (not synthetic).

Edit: there is also a seal but with it sticking out like that i'd look at that first may take a bit of elbow grease, but it's not flush the whole way up the axel. looking down you should only see a ring that it sits on. Trans seal $8 o'reily's, 30min-1 hour work

newtuner
12-18-2007, 10:05 PM
so if the cv axel comes out with fluid in the trans will it leak or?? because if not then its the seal around where it goes in.. not sure how much distance from the trans and cv axel is normal... havent had a chance to look at it good cause its raining like hell and its parked in an uncovered spot in my app. so when i can check it ill get bak on here.. thx for all of your help!

Demon1024
12-20-2007, 12:28 AM
Yeah if the axel comes out, so does your fluid. i didn't just look but it's not much between the "head" of the shaft and the trans say 1/4-1/2 inch?

newtuner
12-20-2007, 01:54 AM
so im jus checkin if my suspention is not disassembled and my axel dosent move then its prolly jus the seal thats allowing it to leak right?? i havent had a chance to take it apart and check it because im a stay-at-home father soooo0o0o yea im jus tryin to get an idea befor i check it... cuz if its my trans im doin a manual swap!!! F&^% these autos they suck!!! plus the cost is insane!!! i get :Owned: everytime i get one $800-$1000!!! for like $500 i could have a trans i could actually think about rebuilding on my own!!! thx 2 u all!

Demon1024
12-27-2007, 11:16 PM
hell i'd sell you one less than that...but not my sticks.
but yeah if it's in all the way (which it probably is,these are known to leak) it's the seal
not hard to change but make sure it goes in squarely or it'll get eaten up. i'd suggest getting someone to help you (not necessarily anyone that knows cars just hands) if you haven't done this your self.some of tyhe suspension is fun to get back on alone without extra jacks to hold stuff.did you get the manual?
good luck keep us posted

newtuner
12-27-2007, 11:32 PM
not yet.. but i found a guy with a blown motor near me whos junkin the car he said if i pay for the tow cost $50-$60 i can pull what i need so im gunna do that and get a few other parts.. i will keep ya posed tho.. thx for ur support!

Demon1024
12-28-2007, 01:54 AM
tranny ecu axel from driver side i think probly more check for everything you need in the how to swap post auto/5spd. i'd go ahead and put new seals in it now while you got it out

newtuner
12-29-2007, 03:04 PM
im guessing that im right but i thought i would check first... so here goes.. output shaft seal... indented side out correct?? also anyone know of the size so i can jus buy a peice of pvc to pop it in with so its even?? if not thx n e wayz! man this site rocks!:rockon:

newtuner
12-30-2007, 04:45 PM
ok so i finally was able to get my damn axel nut off!! and my cv axel was able to pop back in!! my question is what other then length could cause it to pop out??!? when it went back in it clicked good and loud and i couldnt pull it out by hand... so im guessin the snap ring is good... i had all of the mounts hooked up... (didnt have the vertical brace on for quite sumtime..the orig owner never put on back on or sumthing...:thumbdn:) thats about all i can think of....thx in advance!

itzdave
12-31-2007, 01:29 AM
yea, they prolly just didnt pop it in place all the way, i use a piece of wood and have somebody beat on it while i hold it in place (around the boot area, moving around so its 'evenly' in place)

Demon1024
12-31-2007, 01:33 AM
:) Cool it went back in
My guess is it never was put back in correctly, but besides that maybe some really weak suspension parts? Got me there man never had that problem....
How long before you noticed it was leaking did you have it a week or was it possible that it had been leaking since you got it back?
You can check all of your suspension while your in there and look for possible problems,ball joints rotten bushings, check around the area where the control arm connects to the body for cracks not likely but it can happen. But probably just the mechanics bad...

newtuner
12-31-2007, 10:18 AM
well i have had it back from the shop sence june (didnt leak till now... and it leaked fast and hard!) mu suspention is kinda shot.. but i wouldn't think there would be that much travel... it also happened after i parked the car from a right hand turn... so suspention is about the only option other then mechanic error.. well thx 4 ur help! i appreciate it... also does shucks sell honda atf or is that a dealer only thing??

newtuner
01-03-2008, 02:32 PM
well it ended up that they reman their own cv's and the idiot who made mine made it out of spec... it was .8 in too short... the tollerance is like .2 sooooo i got the owner to replace the cv axel and gave me in writing that he will replace my trans if it goes out in 60 days or less...free of charge!!! so yea all in all not bad! thx for ur help!!!