PDA

View Full Version : TV cable help please

zigzag
12-22-2007, 09:40 AM
ive searched the forums, and i know how to adjust the two nuts.... but i dont know where on the thread to adjust them. i have a 1988 honda accord LX, which has treated me great since we first owned it.

recently i just swapped out the transmission cause the old one would skip 2nd gear (thanks step mom) and since then ive been trying to adjust the TV cable back to original setting.

what im asking is that if anyone who has a 1988 honda accord LX and can take an up close clear pic of the TV cable thread and two nuts so i can adjust them back to original settings would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

also on a side note, will a prelude hood fit on my accord? ive always liked the style of the hood.

zigzag
12-22-2007, 04:07 PM
is there anyone out there who can help me? i don't mean to be persistent, but if i didn't need help i wouldn't of asked. anything helps.

russiankid
12-22-2007, 04:13 PM
Every car will be adjusted differently after the years. You will need to adjust it to the specifications of the free play. Is this TV cable coming from the shifter or is it the throttle control cable?

labeledsk8r
12-22-2007, 04:16 PM
you adjust it to tightness.. get the slack out of the cable... it will take a few tries to get it how you want it.... and no a prelude hood will not fit

ghettogeddy
12-22-2007, 04:33 PM
when i first saw this thread name i thought he was asking about actual tv cable

labeledsk8r
12-22-2007, 04:45 PM

it is an actual TV cable.... your an automatic noob

ghettogeddy
12-22-2007, 04:49 PM
it is an actual TV cable.... your an automatic noob

you know what i ment and yes i am an auto noob lol i only have what 4 mani trannys

Civic Accord Honda
12-22-2007, 04:53 PM
word

zigzag
12-22-2007, 05:33 PM
lol. well i got it adjusted a few days ago and i just drove it now and its smoother. im thinking about just keeping it where it is. if you guys like i can take a pic of where i have it adjusted and see if it matches close to what you might have for a 1988 Accord LX.

@labeledsk8r
thanks. sucks i cant get it to fit.

also i was thinking about making my own cool air intake.... but how would that work? is there a thread about it that i can check out? ive searched for it before, but ill search for it again just to double check. i was just thinking about a filter at my bumper and running a welded pipe to the intake.... i know little about cars, so thats why im asking. how much more horse would that add?

russiankid
12-22-2007, 05:35 PM
lol. well i got it adjusted a few days ago and i just drove it now and its smoother. im thinking about just keeping it where it is. if you guys like i can take a pic of where i have it adjusted and see if it matches close to what you might have for a 1988 Accord LX.

@labeledsk8r
thanks. sucks i cant get it to fit.

also i was thinking about making my own cool air intake.... but how would that work? is there a thread about it that i can check out? ive searched for it before, but ill search for it again just to double check. i was just thinking about a filter at my bumper and running a welded pipe to the intake.... i know little about cars, so thats why im asking. how much more horse would that add?

You will need to get a Civic air box in order to run either a short ram intake or a CAI. Carbs are not cold air friendly, so a short ram intake would be better.

labeledsk8r
12-22-2007, 06:04 PM
yeah the best way to do it is by feel, adjust it to how you drive...

and dont do a cold air... id do a chop box like the one in my sig... if your not big for working on parts i can sell you mine for super cheep as its no use to me anymore

zigzag
12-22-2007, 08:08 PM
i would love that, but youll have to give me time to find another job.... things are tight right now.

though exactly how would i set up short ram intake? would you happen to have a bigger pic of it? also would it increase my power significantly? i dont mind the power i have now, but more pep would be real nice if you know what i mean.... sometimes i feel like im going so slow and crossing an intersection to get to the right lane is going to kill me XD i live on busy streets. i just don't want to compromise my gas mileage a whole lot.

labeledsk8r
12-22-2007, 08:42 PM
heres mine, its a stock lid choped and then sprayed in 500 degree paint... its called a choped box... you can get the same result by fliping your stock air lid but i cut mine so it doesnt look tacky... there easy to make with a cutting wheel and a grinder.. but like i said i will ship mine out on the cheep as i have no use for it...if you dont feel like cutting one...the choped lid and a K&N filter is your best setup for a stock carb.....heres a pic

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y126/labeledsk8r/intakecarb.jpg

zigzag
12-22-2007, 09:00 PM
ah, so just flip the lid is all i need to do? whats that other filter sicking out there across from the oil cap? so how exactly will this affect pep and gas mileage? im planning a trip to houston next week from san antonio.

labeledsk8r
12-22-2007, 09:09 PM
yes fliping it does the same thing... just looks tacky to me lol...it shouldnt effect gas milage.. just makes your engine a bit more responsive... and that filter is a breather filter... your stock car should have a hose in that spot going to a small box on the intake.. just leave it it does the same thing

zigzag
12-22-2007, 09:28 PM
alright cool thanks ^_^ any more ways of making my car peppy thats this simple lol

i don't want to start another thread, and i have searched for this question, but my car never dies out because of high park idle or anything.... when i first start my car in the morning it idles real high in park.... usually it gets stuck in the 2000 rpms and i have to wait a bit till i can hit the peddle for it to drop to about 1500-1200 rpms.. is that normal? the only thing i don't like is when its high in rpms like that i can't go into reverse cause it slams kinda hard. any idea how to get around that? i mean after it drops into lower rpms safe for me to shift into reverse it idles around 700-1000 rpms when im at a light or stop sign. but it idles high again in park if i shut off the car and wait about 2 hours.

labeledsk8r
12-22-2007, 09:34 PM
thats the cold idle... cant do anything about it... just let the car warm up.. mine did the same thing... only way to get rid of that is a vacum delete or aftermarket carb... um cheep mods would be do a tune up... and do a blaster 2 coil (how to on how to install it is in the how to section) also upgrade your spark plug wires and new NGK plugs.. should give you a little faster responce for a cheep price... after that you start getting into cutting weight out of the car or more expeniseve mods like exhaust/headers and stuff like that

zigzag
12-22-2007, 09:58 PM
alright cool.... i just got new wires and new plugs not to long ago. as for a blaster 2 coil ill have to check that out.... not sure what it is, but sounds interesting. is it possible to bring my little LX to 110 HP like the LXi without too much money?

labeledsk8r
12-22-2007, 10:03 PM
well even highly NA tuned LX-i accords cars have a hard time hitting 110, thats just a factory number, you can get some good speed out of them though... with just bolt ons i got my accord very zippy so to speak

Civic Accord Honda
12-22-2007, 10:03 PM
exhaust should help alot

zigzag
12-22-2007, 10:14 PM
hmmm.... i was thinking new exhaust, but that'll come later when i have the extra cash. nothing too loud though XD

MessyHonda
12-22-2007, 11:04 PM
you know what i ment and yes i am an auto noob lol i only have what 4 mani trannys

lol...yeah 2 broken ones. 2 unknown....i still need my bad ass tranny...i want to go quick

zigzag
12-22-2007, 11:08 PM
im looking for threads talking about the blaster 2 coil.... nothing.... how do i install it and what exactly does it do?

MessyHonda
12-22-2007, 11:14 PM
im looking for threads talking about the blaster 2 coil.... nothing.... how do i install it and what exactly does it do?

sheperd did a write up on the coil. just put in blaster 2 on the search and it will tell you what wires to splice and connect...after i installed mine i noticed my idle was smoother and my RPMs were smooth all the way to 6k rpm

zigzag
12-22-2007, 11:28 PM
every time i try and search for blaster or blaster 2 or blaster 2 coil it gives me this message.

The search term you specified (2) is under the minimum word length (2) and therefore will not be found. Please make this term longer.

If this term contains a wildcard, please make this term more specific.

zigzag
12-23-2007, 07:26 AM
hey sorry for the double post.

@labeledsk8r

my dad is interested in your chopped box, he said you did a real nice job on it.... he was wondering how much.

also how would a mallory ignition work with my car? dad keeps talking about it.

labeledsk8r
12-23-2007, 10:21 AM
hey sorry for the double post.

@labeledsk8r

my dad is interested in your chopped box, he said you did a real nice job on it.... he was wondering how much.

also how would a mallory ignition work with my car? dad keeps talking about it.

just make an offer... i dunno how much shiping would be but it cant be much... and i will post up a thread on the coil wireing...

labeledsk8r
12-23-2007, 10:26 AM
http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57448 theres the thread on how to wire the coil....... the name is MSD Blaster 2 Coil.... almost any online shop will sell it... as well as auto zone should sell them should be around 36-45 bucks for one

zigzag
12-23-2007, 10:41 AM
alright thanks for the link ill check it out here in a bit. im not sure what kind of offer to make, im not sure how much a new lid costs to begin with.... ill get back to you with that later on.... as for shipping, if its over night its $14 here in texas.... ground shipping is $5 i think.

should i look into mallory ignition as well?

labeledsk8r
12-23-2007, 12:16 PM
alright thanks for the link ill check it out here in a bit. im not sure what kind of offer to make, im not sure how much a new lid costs to begin with.... ill get back to you with that later on.... as for shipping, if its over night its $14 here in texas.... ground shipping is $5 i think.

should i look into mallory ignition as well?

are you talking the brand mallory? or something like a MSD 6 box?

zigzag
12-23-2007, 02:14 PM
not sure.... i know little about car parts.... mallory hyfire ignition i think is what its called.

ghettogeddy
12-23-2007, 02:30 PM
not sure.... i know little about car parts.... mallory hyfire ignition i think is what its called.

stick with a blaster 2 coil dont go overboard

zigzag
12-23-2007, 02:47 PM
hmmm.... how is that overboard? i can get the blaster 2 coil, but it'll be some time before i can afford $50. but flipping the lid over the filter seems to be working out kinda nicely.... seems to be riding alot smoother than before.

i see a blaster 3 coil, is that much better than the blaster 2?

labeledsk8r
12-23-2007, 03:35 PM
hmmm.... how is that overboard? i can get the blaster 2 coil, but it'll be some time before i can afford $50. but flipping the lid over the filter seems to be working out kinda nicely.... seems to be riding alot smoother than before.

i see a blaster 3 coil, is that much better than the blaster 2?

blaster 3 is for a difrent type of ignition wire... stick with the blaster 2.. and the mallory is going overboard... its useless on a stock car or even a plan bolt on setup

zigzag
12-23-2007, 04:19 PM
alright ill just drop the mallory idea. i found a blaster 2 coil at auto zone for $39+tax but i cant get it till i find a job, so until then. i see that accel is a little bit cheaper than blaster.. is there much of a difference?

you guys have been great and i appreciate your help ^_^