PDA

View Full Version : Anyone try experiment with different temperature thermostats?

AC439
12-23-2007, 07:01 PM
Hi...I'm wondering if anyone has played with different temp thermostats to see if the gas mileage is better with the 195F thermostat?

The Honda manual states two thermostats -180F and 195F. I'm currently using the Stant 180F thermostat. The temp gauge is about 30% (assuming midway between H and C is 50%). When the car is running for a while, it can gets up to 40%. I have used the Stant 195F thermostat before and the temp gauge can be at 50% but then rised to 80% while stop at the light or in very slow stop and go traffic.

I kind of remember I was getting better gas mileage before but I'm not 100% certain. If anyone has experimented with this before, please share result here. Thanks. -AC

2oodoor
12-23-2007, 07:12 PM
You will run richer with the colder stat. That will make more power depending on your driving style .
The way you describe it though it sounds like your radiator is restricted or cooling fan temp switch is out of range.

MessyHonda
12-24-2007, 03:20 AM
i just got honda OEM and it worksl fine.

AC439
12-24-2007, 05:25 AM
You will run richer with the colder stat. That will make more power depending on your driving style .
The way you describe it though it sounds like your radiator is restricted or cooling fan temp switch is out of range.

I understand that cooler stat runs the engine richer. But my radiator and the cooling fan temp sw have both been replaced and makes no difference.

I have also used OEM stat which runs the car even slightly cooler than the 180F stant thermostat.

My question is:- Is there a practical noticable gas mileage difference between a 180F and a 195F thermostat? Has anyone put difference stat and notice gas mileage difference?

shepherd79
12-24-2007, 06:48 AM
i had both 180 and 195 diff see any diff in gas mileage.
OEM one gave me faster warm ups and my gas mileage actully went up by 1mpg but i could be driving like a granny.

Oldblueaccord
12-24-2007, 05:34 PM
Your temp guage should never go above 50% really. Mine never never has even with a leaky top tank and the cap off, drives up and over 10,000 feet and extended 100 mph runs for more than 3 hours at a clip.

As far as gas mileage the warmer a car runs the better the mileage on every car I have owned carb or fuel injection.

wp