PDA

View Full Version : Crankshaft seal(front)

russiankid
12-24-2007, 02:26 PM
I was looking at the Honda shop manual, and it says to put sealant in the crack where the cap(not sure what they meant by it) meets the block. Since i am replacing my front oil seal next week, do i use sealant or do i just press it in. Either way it is pressed in but the sealant part is what i am confused about.

sb_hbackDX
12-24-2007, 04:02 PM
Yea you defiantly want to use sealant for the crankshaft seals, its just good practice with engine maintenance...you can get away without using it but a leak would be imminent a lot sooner than if you had used the sealant.

:cheers: I've have my fare share of rear main seal leaks with other engines and I have always used sealant as an extra precaution...

russiankid
12-24-2007, 05:04 PM
I guess i will just put a thin layer of Honda Bond on it.

88Accord-DX
12-24-2007, 11:21 PM
On front crankshaft seals & front transmission seals that get pressed in. I use red thread-lock on the outside & grease the inside with bearing grease. On occasion, the front or rear main seal along with transmissions (torque converter) will wear a grove in the snout from no grease on the inside of the seal. In that case, you have to sleeve the snout or it will leak again.

carotman
12-25-2007, 07:02 AM
You have to use sealant if you remove the cap, not the seal itself.

russiankid
12-25-2007, 08:35 AM
Alright thanks for the advice.