PDA

View Full Version : Removing Inner Door Panel

nfs480
12-25-2007, 04:16 PM
I'm planning on putting on a new passenger side door mirror and a new one of those plastic things that go up and down with the door locks. I've never taken the interior panel off of the door before and was wondering if there is anything I should watch out for.

Also, if anyone has a Tuscany Taupe Metallic painted passenger side door mirror for a four-door SE-i I would be very interested in purchasing it from you.

A18A
12-25-2007, 04:45 PM
to remove it, remove all the screws in the way, put a flat head screw driver between the door panel start from the top, go down till you hit a clip, pry it out, around the whole door, once all the clips & screws are out, lift the door panel up and out of the door.

oh dont forget to remove the plastic thing surrounding the door handle

87roach
12-25-2007, 04:49 PM
You need to remove the window roller by taking out the clip from the back which is sort of shaped like a goldfish(work with me here), if you have a hook type screw driver it will be perfect or if not you can try to get a cheap slot and bend the end so it is shaped like an "(====)____\" if you get the idea, GL.

It occurs to me now that what I said was only relative to the window roller(manual), everything else either unclips or unscrews but this can be tricky.

nfs480
12-25-2007, 04:53 PM
I understand everything except the door handle part. I understand what you mean by the shape of the screw driver, but nothing in my Haynes manual mentions anything about removing the door handle. Unfortunately my car is at the dealer for unrelated work so I can't go out and take a closer look at it but maybe when I get the chance to i'll understand what you mean.

jdaddy88lx-i
12-25-2007, 06:36 PM
you aint gotta remove no door handle just the one screw and the plastic piece arround the handle. I use a screwdriver to pry out the clips.
for the top I stick the flathead through the door handle cutout and pry up carefully to detatch the top strip by the window. Its also held in by clips.

Civic Accord Honda
12-25-2007, 11:29 PM
http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff103/Dark_Accord/b3bddc43.jpg

nfs480
12-26-2007, 12:16 AM
Thanks, that helps a lot!

AccordB20A
12-26-2007, 01:09 AM
You missed one, in the vent. Unless your USDM accords dont have screws there?!?!

http://imagehost.wohdog.sytes.net/Uploads/2007-12-2621925b3bddc43[1].jpg

w261w261
12-26-2007, 05:00 AM
It's much easier to use something called a "panel removal tool" to pry things like the door panel apart. It looks like a big flat screwdriver with a bend at the end and a notch cut into the flat part. It gives you leverage when separating two parts, whereas a screwdriver increases the chance of damage. For instance, eventually you will have to clean out the rear sunroof drains, and to do this you have to take out the panels in the trunk. The panels are held on by "buttons". The panel tool can reach under the head of the button with its notch, and then the button pops right out. A screwdriver starts making a mess.

Any auto parts store should have the panel tool.

While you have the door panel off, you might consider lubricating the window lift mechanism. If you're ambitious, you can take out the driver's window switch (it gets most of the use) and sand off the contacts with a bit of sandpaper or a very small file. If the driver's window sometimes doesn't want to go up, it's usually either a dirty switch or more likely the window controller is starting to fail. If it goes completely, you won't be able to raise the window. It's a little white box inside the door. You can get another one from the yard or new from Honda for about $100.

When putting the door panel back on, note the little bit of foam that Honda wrapped around the lock button. It's there to keep the button from rattling, so put it back in place.

A18A
12-26-2007, 05:43 AM
for those buttons, i use wire cutters to get them off, they leave no scratches or damage anything either :D

w261w261
12-26-2007, 09:54 AM
for those buttons, i use wire cutters to get them off, they leave no scratches or damage anything either :D

I guess if you've got a good supply of them you could do that. The panel tool pops them right out though, and you can then reuse them.

imburne
12-26-2007, 01:45 PM
Harbor freight has a tool that lets you take off clips easier. Now the name of it is impossible to recall.. But yeah its out there.

AccordB20A
12-26-2007, 03:03 PM
i just pull on the door and it comes unclipped. Never have used a screwdriver.

nfs480
10-27-2008, 11:15 AM
I'm bringing this thread back because while I have removed my door panel before and replaced the plastic lock knob I still have not been able to find a mirror for my car. I'm planning on searching some junk yards later this week but it seems there aren't any around me. I was wondering if some of you who live near a pick-n-pull (closest one to me is in Illinois) could grab a brown se-i power door mirror for the passenger-side for me. If you can find one i'll gladly buy it from you. I've been searching all over ebay and other parts sites and it seems like they're impossible to find. I called Honda and checked Majestic's website and they are no longer available from them either.

Civic Accord Honda
10-27-2008, 11:20 AM
thats going to be really hard to find... you could just get 2 LX-i black ones or get a LX-i one and paint it to match

evil88accordLX
10-27-2008, 12:03 PM
www.junkyarddog.com
its the largest used part network on the web. if they cant find it for you, then youre probably SOL.

nfs480
10-27-2008, 03:01 PM
www.junkyarddog.com
its the largest used part network on the web. if they cant find it for you, then youre probably SOL.

Thanks, I'll give that a shot.

-$MOKIN-
11-03-2008, 08:34 AM
OMG....You should put back the plastic wrap on the inside. you can feel a terrible breeze without it in the winter..i reused my old ones with some tooth paste ;) works

Dr_Snooz
11-03-2008, 08:53 PM
OMG....You should put back the plastic wrap on the inside. you can feel a terrible breeze without it in the winter..i reused my old ones with some tooth paste ;) works

Toothpaste? I've always just shoved the plastic back behind the panel and hoped for the best. I should use duct tape, but if you are offering superior adhesion AND minty freshness, how can I go wrong???

:idea:

Demon1024
11-03-2008, 11:23 PM
lol. i bought some plastic sheeting and redid every hole in the door using hot glue. worked like a charm! just make sure to use high temp glue :)

MessyHonda
11-08-2008, 11:58 AM
my doors are dynomatted so i didnt bother putinng the stock plastic back...its for like water doesnt ruin your door panels...but i just make sure the drain holes are not filled with junk

Coolbusracer
11-08-2008, 08:43 PM
Ok, so i don't mean to take this off topic, or revive a dead thread, but i was wondering how you take out the vent director in the door??? the one i have now is all chipped and broken and i have a new one but i need the old one out.... can i get it out without taking the door panel out or what???? and the trim around the door handle, does it just pop off after one screw or what?????

Civic Accord Honda
11-08-2008, 09:28 PM
i belive you just pry that out with a flat screw driver but i have not removed mine in ages so cant remember for sure

chowder
11-11-2008, 07:45 PM
could i hammer out a dent if i took my panel off i have a pretty decent door ding

kentwat
05-21-2010, 05:04 AM
Thanks for the pics. My drivers door handle snapped yesterday. Thankfully I can still open it. I need to go to PAP to score another.

lostforawhile
05-21-2010, 05:52 AM
Ok, so i don't mean to take this off topic, or revive a dead thread, but i was wondering how you take out the vent director in the door??? the one i have now is all chipped and broken and i have a new one but i need the old one out.... can i get it out without taking the door panel out or what???? and the trim around the door handle, does it just pop off after one screw or what?????

I think you have to remove the door, the plastic get brittle so if you pry it you may break something else. you take off the door panel and you'll see a plastic half round thing screwed to the top plastic piece, take out the screws, remove it and carefully pry out the vent deflector from behind. you'll see once the panel is off. the small plastic thing is actually the duct from where the hot air travels from the side of the dash up to the vent.