PDA

View Full Version : Aftermarket oil pans... mainly ebay stuff... worth it?

deevergote
12-25-2007, 07:41 PM
I finally got a new motor for my LX-i, but it doesn't have an oil pan. The one on my junk motor has a stripped drain hole. Right now, it works... and I could probably re-tap it... but I'd rather not trust it. The motor I just got is totally rebuilt, and I'm going turbo, so I don't want to fool around with a halfassed oil pan!

So, my question is... would it be a bad decision to go with an ebay oil pan? I've seen some on sale there, brand new, for $70 shipped or less. Has anyone had any trouble with them? I don't want to pay for a new pan and find that it leaks due to improper sealing! The other option would be to find a junkyard pan, but the condition could be questionable there...

russiankid
12-25-2007, 07:51 PM
This is my experience with after market pans. I replaced the gasket 7 times, and it kept leaking in the same spot. I then bought a Honda pan, and the pan doesn't leak anymore.

So in my opinion, after market ones suck, but i could have just had a crappy one.

deevergote
12-25-2007, 08:01 PM
Damn... that's what I was afraid of. I don't want to shell out the dough for a new Honda one! Still, it'd be better to pay now and not ever have to pull that pan again...

lostforawhile
12-25-2007, 08:16 PM
while the pan is out just fix it,it's easy to helicoil it,or even weld up the hole and weld on a new bung with threads, then it's permanent.

deevergote
12-25-2007, 08:24 PM
That's true... I suppose Helicoil wouldn't be a bad idea for an oil pan... I've always heard bad things about it for sparkplug thread repair (I have 2 engines with damaged threads... one is my fault :() but an oil pan isn't under extreme pressure...

I could spend that $70 on something better... lol

russiankid
12-25-2007, 08:44 PM
My brother has a Heli coil on one of his spark plugs on his BMW and it works well no problems at all.

fogged
12-25-2007, 10:28 PM
while the pan is out just fix it,it's easy to helicoil it,or even weld up the hole and weld on a new bung with threads, then it's permanent.

:thumbdn: For me I would weld up the threads and then re tap them. Ive had issues with helicoil on my F350 #2 plug. It get loose real easy.

w261w261
12-26-2007, 10:01 AM
Consider the potential hassle if the aftermarket pan is no good. Consider the *only* things that matter to the seller of that oil pan: how cheap can he buy it and how can he sell it? Build a reputation? Fuggedaboudit. There's always another eBay customer out there. With Honda, you know that's there's someone watching out. I'd get one off a wreck and clean it up, or fix your drain hole, before I'd put some Chinese POS on there.

'89AccordLX(Rus)
12-27-2007, 11:35 AM
The on thing that my brother and I noticed about the OEM Honda oil pan is that the gasket actually fits better and almost snaps onto the pan on the curved parts. The aftermarket pan was a real pain to install because the gasket would tend to slide around and get squeezed out where the OEM one snaps in and holds tight. Another thing to consider I suppose.

88Accord-DX
01-08-2008, 06:38 PM
I would take a straight edge to it, along with doing some measurements with my original Honda oil pan. No doubt use OEM oil pan gasket on it.