PDA

View Full Version : Body Work

nfs480
12-26-2007, 09:33 PM
Yes I know i've been making a lot of threads lately but i've been planning out my year.

I'm intending to have the extensive amounts of rust on my car repaired at a body shop (yes I know it's expensive but I just don't have any of the know-how to do it myself and I don't know anyone else who does). What should I look out for in a body shop and what major chains of body shops can you guys recommend. Also, what should I expect to pay. Picture below, sorry I can't get any closer up at this time.

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b341/nfs480/Honda003.jpg

The other side isn't as bad, but the worst is the area below the doors.

Civic Accord Honda
12-26-2007, 11:27 PM
it will probley be around 1200-2500

itzdave
12-27-2007, 08:58 AM
mine were about that bad. i was able to fix it pretty good with some bondo-glass.

2oodoor
12-27-2007, 10:01 AM
The only chain body shop I know of right off hand is Maaco, and those are just like a Waffle House.. even though they have the same trucked in food, it is up to the cook to make it come out like it was intended. Most body shops are independent owned and operated, but they do share the same estimating software a lot of times.
You can clean up the rust areas a little and let them dry out good, or blow them out with air, then spray this stuff called ONE STEP, it is basically aerosol paint that converts the surface rust to primer and neutralizes the rest. It has worked great for me. You can come back after it cures and use primer surfacer, or bondo glass (tiger hair) for the big holes if any, sand it smooth, repeat . until you do not see pits, then primer seal it before painting.

lostforawhile
12-27-2007, 11:23 AM
you will do better to find a shop that does car restoration work, they will have experience doing rust and panel repair,it might actually end up being cheaper ,because if they are experienced,they can probably make the missing pieces in house. places like maaco,they aren't set up to do this kind of repair, their usual buisness is getting overspray on taillights and automotive trim. check around,also talk to some hot rod guys who have gotten work done. if someone can do panel repair, it doesn't matter what kind of car it is. sometimes the smallest hole in the wall shops,have the best sheet metal guys.

nfs480
12-27-2007, 12:12 PM
All right, there is an Abra Collision and Glass near here. It's a MN chain I think. Trying to find out if they're any good. I don't know of any restoration places off hand but i'll definitely search around for some.

87roach
12-27-2007, 06:23 PM
If your going to be running around to different shops finding out estimates, post them up here.. I'm going to be looking into getting the same area repaired so it would be great to have an idea ahead of time.

lostforawhile
12-27-2007, 06:26 PM
it will probley be around 1200-2500 let CAH fix it ROFL

nfs480
12-27-2007, 07:35 PM
If your going to be running around to different shops finding out estimates, post them up here.. I'm going to be looking into getting the same area repaired so it would be great to have an idea ahead of time.

Sure thing, although I have a significant amount of rust on the panel below the doors which i'm sure will add significantly to the cost.