PDA

View Full Version : Ignition Problem? or something else...

Chuck
12-28-2007, 08:59 AM
Model: '86 Accord LX, 5 speed manual

Problem Symptoms: Spark plugs become fouled with carbon deposits after driving the car for 2-3 weeks. The plugs are usually fouled to the point of not creating combustion on the freeway when I'm in the middle of nowhere leaving me to try to limp the car home. I will be going around 65 mph when the car will start to lurch/stutter and I will lose power although I am flooring it. When the problem reaches this state, if I am not keeping my RPMs up with the gas pedal the car will die, I will start it again, and have to keep the gas coming or else it dies again.

What's been done to the car: Had the carb rebuilt by a reputable auto shop, put in a new starter, alternator, rebuilt the tranny... umm even put on a new tailpipe.

My Guesses: Initially I thought the carb was running too rich, but after taking it to the shop that rebuilt it, I was told that I had an electrical gremlin somewhere. They said it could be the ignition or the timing that was off. I'm trying to narrow down the possibilities, any ideas you throw at me will be greatly appreciated, Thanks!

lostforawhile
12-28-2007, 09:58 AM
check your timing,check your ignition,check your coil, and have the module in the dis tested,it could be weak. also what plugs are you running,have you checked the gap? and how old are your wires/cap/rotor.

Chuck
12-28-2007, 11:04 AM
I was using NGK BPR5ES-11, but today I went out and bought NGK BPR6EY-11's thinking that these plugs would run hotter, and burn off the rich mix I have in there. When I put in the plugs I didn't check the gap... thinking that they would already be set to the right spec.

As for the wire/cap/rotor I'm not sure how old they are. If they aren't expensive I could just replace them to narrow down the possibilities.

AccordEpicenter
12-28-2007, 11:34 AM
those are colder, you already had hot plugs in it. Check the timing, also what color is the spark

russiankid
12-28-2007, 11:34 AM
I doubt the plugs would be gapped already as each engine that can use those plugs has different gap specifications.