PDA

View Full Version : Compression test results

jdaddy88lx-i
12-28-2007, 05:21 PM
Well, as I stated before, I need a rebuild/swap for my baby. I stopped in and had a compression test done and the #1 cylinder was at 60 psi and the #3 cylinder read 0. WTF? Anyways, she still runs ok, if you can call oozing exhuast fumes lik crazy out the valve cover ok. I didint have him check the other cylinders cuase they have helicoils on the plugs.

2oodoor
12-28-2007, 05:24 PM
you cant use a compression test as diagnositcs till all four are done at least twice to three times.
Zero on any cyl would mean it could not possibly be running well at all,

labeledsk8r
12-28-2007, 05:32 PM
i agree... 0 on a cylinder would mean your car would sound like SHIT and you would be able to tell... a 0 means you have... A. buston hole in piston B hole in block.. blown rings or gasket will drop down to like 25 ish... still holds some compresion... go buy a compresion tester.. there only about 20 bucks... and not hard to do

jdaddy88lx-i
12-28-2007, 06:32 PM
well from what I have gathered so far, the rings on one or more pistons are shot so I have already decided on a motor swap. And I did figure that It actually should be running worse with a reading of 0 but she dont sputter, spit or hesitate to start or excellerate, just blows oil an exhuast so swap it is and I,ll try and find out what happend when I tear it down cuase I'm a little confused.

labeledsk8r
12-28-2007, 06:36 PM
well im just saying you shouldnt get a 0 unless you have some weird ass engine noise... oil sounds like rings but you will atleast get like 25 psi, but a new engine sounds like a good idea

jdaddy88lx-i
12-28-2007, 06:40 PM
Yea, Imma swap it, just waiting on funds. Someone said 850 for an a20a3 with 80k suposedly on it and 750 for one with 123k. What you think?

labeledsk8r
12-28-2007, 07:00 PM
if i remember right you can get an inporter to get you a JDM engine for 500 ish with low miles... but i will wait for someone to chime in on that

88Accord-DX
12-28-2007, 08:37 PM
From the sounds of it. You might have a burnt valve & worn valve guides & seals with smoke out the VC. With them numbers on two cylinders, wonder how it even stays running. I would do a leak down test to narrow it down. Head gaskets & valves/seats go before rings do in most zero to 60 psi. compression readings I've seen.

jdaddy88lx-i
12-28-2007, 09:59 PM
if i remember right you can get an inporter to get you a JDM engine for 500 ish with low miles... but i will wait for someone to chime in on that

Yes please, feel free to chime in.

2oodoor
12-29-2007, 03:47 AM
those used motors sound way too high priced.
pull-a-part sells them for 118 dollars all day long
otherwise a used motor should run around 300-500, with 500 being a little high
http://www.pullapart.com/Inventory/Main.aspx
above link, you can find your location, see if they have the kind of car you need parts from, and the date the car got there.. looking at this one now I see my local yard just got in a few 2nd Gen Accords and one 3rd Gen since my last visit there. No new tegs though ohhh but there are three new preludes there maybe I need to go look at them today!!

moonjaw2002
12-29-2007, 07:26 AM
Here is a short how to do a leak down test.You will need to make or by a threaded coupling to attach a pressure guage to so you can screw it into the spark plug hole.Remove all of the plugs and start with the pistons at tdc with all the valves closed.Start at whatever cyl you want.Pressurize the cyl to80 to 90 psi,let sit for a couple minutes.5 to 10 percent is good,20 percent is ok,30 or more is bad.On the cyl you are having trouble with ,pressurize it and listen at the throttle body for air leaking.If you hear air you have intake valve problems.If no air there move to the pvc valve,if you hear air there it is bad rings.
If no air move to the exhaust,if air there bad exhaust valves.Cyl with low compression amd minimul
leakage,you have valve train trouble.Worn lobe on cam.All cyl have low compression with min leakage means valve timing off a tooth or two.Mark

AccordEpicenter
12-29-2007, 08:33 AM
im gonna bet on valve damage for the 0psi hole, and bad rings for the other cyls

labeledsk8r
12-29-2007, 11:49 AM
Yes please, feel free to chime in.

i dont remember any of the sites... thats why im waiting for someone else to mention it.... if i run accross the sites i will post them up

Dr_Snooz
12-29-2007, 07:14 PM
Yeah, those prices are way high. l'm getting a quote of $595 for a used import, <50k miles, compression tested, leak down tested and warrantied. That's a really good price. I can't get a master rebuild kit for much less. Good luck with the swap. Keep us posted on your progress.

lostforawhile
12-29-2007, 07:20 PM
those used motors sound way too high priced.
pull-a-part sells them for 118 dollars all day long
otherwise a used motor should run around 300-500, with 500 being a little high
http://www.pullapart.com/Inventory/Main.aspx
above link, you can find your location, see if they have the kind of car you need parts from, and the date the car got there.. looking at this one now I see my local yard just got in a few 2nd Gen Accords and one 3rd Gen since my last visit there. No new tegs though ohhh but there are three new preludes there maybe I need to go look at them today!!
where is this pull a part? shit 118? i need one bad to do my carb setup.

Lil Mike
12-29-2007, 08:38 PM
when you get a new one rip the old one apart, i want to see this.

AccordEpicenter
12-29-2007, 09:14 PM
yeah, post pics on it. Im betting on a cracked up valve face on #3 and bad rings on every cyl

jdaddy88lx-i
12-29-2007, 09:56 PM
After I do my swap I'll figure out what the deal is but i dont have a cam and those prices at the pull-a-part are ammazing. Its like an hour and change away but I will go check it out.