PDA

View Full Version : Window tint.. all gone!

86ccord
12-30-2007, 07:25 AM
well my old window tint was purple.. soo i scraped it all off so heres the finished product.. i also cleaned up the oustide of my car a lil bit.. not much..

http://img144.imageshack.us/img144/9708/dsc00137lf7.th.jpg (http://img144.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc00137lf7.jpg)

fogged
12-30-2007, 08:37 AM
Are you going to re-tint the windows?

86ccord
12-30-2007, 10:10 AM
yes i plann on it.. dark black as i can get it! but yeah imma do that after i paint it.. soo..

itzdave
12-30-2007, 01:33 PM
yes i plann on it.. dark black as i can get it! but yeah imma do that after i paint it.. soo..

thats what i wanted too, so i put some 2.5 % tint on and i have roll the windows down to see, even in daytime sometimes (always if im wearing sunglasses). i would highly recomend not going too dark, i think 10 % would be the darkest i would go especially on the front side windows, maybe 5% on the back sides and rear window. (if ya even wanna mix tints) but i would just go 10%

w261w261
12-30-2007, 02:12 PM
Don't forget to check the tint laws in your state before you go get all dark. No sense in giving them a reason to hassle you.

Cheeseburger
12-30-2007, 02:57 PM
Don't forget to check the tint laws in your state before you go get all dark. No sense in giving them a reason to hassle you.

yeah, dont want to waste ur money and have to take it off

ghettogeddy
12-30-2007, 02:59 PM
thats what i wanted too, so i put some 2.5 % tint on and i have roll the windows down to see, even in daytime sometimes (always if im wearing sunglasses). i would highly recomend not going too dark, i think 10 % would be the darkest i would go especially on the front side windows, maybe 5% on the back sides and rear window. (if ya even wanna mix tints) but i would just go 10%

i have 5 % all around and its nice
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b397/ghettogeddy/8ac05ddc.jpg
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b397/ghettogeddy/eaf51792.jpg
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b397/ghettogeddy/8d81a423.jpg
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b397/ghettogeddy/507b6072.jpg
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b397/ghettogeddy/7656b89a.jpg

86ccord
12-30-2007, 03:45 PM
yes.. there's a company over where i live.. and they do a really good job and they go dark as GA laws will let them.. soo but wow getto you are riding dark.. is that against the law?

w261w261
12-30-2007, 05:08 PM
Tint becomes an issue of personal safety with some cops. And when things get personal with cops, it's only worse for you.

DBMaster
12-30-2007, 05:46 PM
Hey there, how did you get it off the back window without damaging the defroster grid?

I had mine tinted in 1991. It was the high end tint so it has not faded, bubbled, or turned purple, but it has turned a bit blurry, especially the back window. I want to get it redone, but I would rather remove it myself to avoid them messing up my back shelf.

Having the tint has saved my interior. No fading or cracking anywhere. They have much more effective tints these days than 16 years ago. There are ones that barely darken the windows and still block UV and IR. I am thinking I can get a pretty good discount if I get it done by March because it's off-season.

frantik
12-30-2007, 06:23 PM
Tint becomes an issue of personal safety with some cops. And when things get personal with cops, it's only worse for you.yeah.. ive read on cop message boards and what not about tint.. basically it comes down to if a cop pulls you over and can't see inside the vehicle, they fear for their personal safety so they are more likely to bust your chops about it. I have slightly illegal tint (50% on fronts) but never get a second glance from the po since it's light enough cops can see in, even at night.

anyways good job getting rid of the purple haze lol.. i always cringe when i see that bright purple tint on people's windows lol.. usually it's accompanied by the sweet air bubbles and rips too :'(

86ccord
12-30-2007, 06:57 PM
well see you NEVER.. i mean NEVER clean your tinted windows with WINDEX NEVER! it will turn purple! cause that's what happend with mine.. the bum that had it before me cleaned it with windex and it turned purple..

but yeah.. my back glass.. hehe hate to break it to you.. but i had no back window when i got my car..lmao.. so i didnt have to worry about taking the tint off of that.. but how i got the rest of it of i used a straight edge razor blade and a mixture of ammonia and water.. bout 80% ammonia and 20% water.. and put it in a spray bottle and scraped away..also.. be careful when you do scrape it off.. i got me a nasty cut on my finger.. down to the bone.. ew...

heres a pic of my car w/ no back window..
http://img292.imageshack.us/img292/4663/dsc00128ec3.th.jpg (http://img292.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc00128ec3.jpg)

87roach
12-30-2007, 07:09 PM
[QUOTE=86ccord;848651]well see you NEVER.. i mean NEVER clean your tinted windows with WINDEX NEVER! it will turn purple! cause that's what happend with mine.. the bum that had it before me cleaned it with windex and it turned purple..QUOTE]

This is because it has amonia in it, do not use household cleaners for cleaning your car.There is an automotive windex for this purpose. Dish soap will also take off your wax.

It's illegal to have window tint for me in the front(shame because thats the most glass, almost..) I would like to get the back ones done progressivly, like 15 on the back and 20 on the sides with some 35-40 on the front(eventually if I can sneak it)

ghettogeddy
12-30-2007, 07:17 PM
i think it looks funny to have dif % on dif windows if i cant have one solid % then no tint for me lol

fogged
12-30-2007, 07:34 PM
I have 50% on the doors, side glass, and the rear window. Its that black mirror type tint. In the day you can see in and out, but at night I have a hard time seeing out. Ive been stopped twice at night and the cops never said shit about the tint. I will say this because I didnt cheap out and got the high end stuff. Its alot cooler inside now(no ac in my car). :D

ghettogeddy
12-30-2007, 07:50 PM
I have 50% on the doors, side glass, and the rear window. Its that black mirror type tint. In the day you can see in and out, but at night I have a hard time seeing out. Ive been stopped twice at night and the cops never said shit about the tint. I will say this because I didnt cheap out and got the high end stuff. Its alot cooler inside now(no ac in my car). :D

yes thats one thing my car stays real cool in the winter with the 5% on the 7 windows never to hot in my 3g

86ccord
12-30-2007, 08:13 PM
yeah if i dont have the same % of tint all around it would bug the fool out of me..lol but yeah after i go into paint then ill get my tint done.

itzdave
12-31-2007, 01:49 AM
eh. im sure 5% would be ok. but i would recommend 10% as the darkest, legality and safety reasons.

frantik
12-31-2007, 02:19 AM
if i dont have the same % of tint all around it would bug the fool out of me..

i have 3 different %s on my car and i think it looks fine.. it looks bad if you have super dark rears and super light fronts but if the change is gradual then i dont think it looks too bad :)

itzdave
12-31-2007, 02:32 AM
it looks bad if you have super dark rears and super light fronts but if the change is gradual then i dont think it looks too bad :)

:werd: i wouldnt go with 3 diff tints tho. personally, id maybe get 5% all around except for the front sides(10%).

86ccord
12-31-2007, 04:15 AM
i have 3 different %s on my car and i think it looks fine.. it looks bad if you have super dark rears and super light fronts but if the change is gradual then i dont think it looks too bad :)

im not saying it would look bad its just a mental thing.. :D

frantik
12-31-2007, 05:31 AM
:werd: i wouldnt go with 3 diff tints tho. personally, id maybe get 5% all around except for the front sides(10%).

the guy who did the tinting recommended to do three different ones and it wasn't any more expensive so i was like sure lol.. 50% on front rollups, 30% on back rollups and 15% on the back glass. i like the 15% on the back it's dark enough to give you privacy and cut down on blinding headlights at night but not enough to make your rear window useless at night. but i wouldnt want much darker than 50% on fronts so 30% on the middles is a good compromise :)

its just a mental thing..lol do whatcha like :cheers:

MessyHonda
12-31-2007, 01:57 PM
i have 20% in the rear and 35% in the front....but sometimes i wished i had 10% in the rear

86ccord
01-01-2008, 06:23 AM
why do you wish that you only had 10% for?

MessyHonda
01-01-2008, 02:43 PM
why do you wish that you only had 10% for?

sometimes it looks dark and sometimes you can see thru it just a bit. in the day its light and at night its dark

86ccord
01-01-2008, 03:13 PM
ohh ok.. but yeah.. well i just got done changing all of my belts in my car.. and my spark plugs.. that was crazy..

but yeah.. after i paint imma get tint..

knarg
01-01-2008, 05:02 PM
looks good, i like those wheels!

get some lowering springs :)

86ccord
01-02-2008, 05:01 AM
looks good, i like those wheels!

get some lowering springs :)

yeah, one of these days imma get some rims and tires for it and the imma lower it 2.25" ive gotta get an exhaust before anything really..

HondaBoy
01-02-2008, 02:17 PM
hey i have a set of those wheels that i started working on. was in the process of polishing them out but never finished. car looks great. if you're going to retint it, i have to recommend the Metal edge tint. has a slight gold metalic look to it, otherwise its really a dark limo type tint. thats what i have on my 3gee. here's a link of what it looks like.
http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54711&highlight=tint

86ccord
01-02-2008, 03:31 PM
wow.. thats not bad.. how much did you pay for it all together?

DBMaster
01-02-2008, 07:38 PM
I think all the deterioration on mine was caused by UV. It absorbs the UV rays that would otherwise be wrecking the interior. The only thing I have ever cleaned the tint with is the damp chamois while I am drying the car.

86ccord
01-02-2008, 08:15 PM
wait a min.. you do know the tint is on the inside of the car right DBmaster?

DBMaster
01-02-2008, 08:52 PM
LOL, yes. When the chamois is damp (from drying the car) you use it to clean the inside of the window (the tint). It hasn't scratched mine yet.

86ccord
01-03-2008, 06:27 AM
OH! ok lol i miss understood you! sorry about that.. i see what your saying.. lol when i read your last post im like do what? lol but yeah sorry about that!

HondaBoy
01-03-2008, 05:16 PM
for the Metal edge tint, i paid $200. its 5% in the back and 35% in the front. i plan to have my subaru tinted with that also. they quoted me $259 with removal of the tint i have now and installation of the new tint. this is at a local shop. i was willing to pay that much because it is very high quality tint, i'm getting what i paid for. comes with a lifetime warranty. a lot of quality tint shops will carry this tint.

86ccord
01-03-2008, 07:30 PM
ahh; no shit? i got quoted.. my front two windows.. 80$ my back seat windows.. 80$ and my rear and front.. like 95$ so but that is for regular tint.. imma call and see what i can get with the tint you got.. but i like it.. i really do like it.. so is it cool in the summer? it keeps the car cool i mean.. and how does it look at night.. easy to see out?

HondaBoy
01-15-2008, 03:07 PM
this tint is limo dark, but i find it easier to see out of than other tint in cars i've been in. take for instance at night if you shine a flashlight into the rear windows you can hardly see through it. but can see fairly well out considering it is so dark. it really does make a difference in the interior temperature, ac doesnt work so yeah its noticeable. i probably going to get my legacy tinted with the metal edge here in a few weeks. i really was impressed with the tint, mainly its appearance. if my accord is parked next to other cars with tint, you can tell its not cheapo junk tint, big time.