PDA

View Full Version : Strut Damper Bushing

bigpoppa88
09-18-2002, 11:03 AM
Anyone who has replaced these....I purchased a new one from a Honda dealer, it has a metal sleeve on the outside of the rubber bushing. Before I tear out the ceased bolt and bushing, the existing one doesn't appear to have this metal sleeve around the bushing. I can spin the old rubber bushing in the swingarm with a socket attached to it. Did the old one just release from the existing metal sleeve? Adivce please before I disable my '88.

bigpoppa88
09-18-2002, 04:17 PM
ANYONE?!

bigpoppa88
09-18-2002, 04:18 PM
ANYONE?!

YK86
09-18-2002, 05:37 PM
The metal sleeve is stuck in the lower arm. What I did was carefully grind 6 cuts (from front to back) just so the sleeve cracks and they all fall off without damaging the rubber so only the rubber and the inner sleeve remains. I then punched that into the hole.

Dutchboy
09-18-2002, 06:20 PM
yes theres a metal sleeve in the arm still...i had the same thing...the rubber spun in the sleeve....i just took both arms to the shop and had them press them out and put the new ones in..

I hated that damn bolt in the arm too..!!!!! i had to beat it for an hour to get it out... the rubber takes all the momentum of the hits so its hard to get it to budge...

BEn

bigpoppa88
09-19-2002, 11:35 AM
Thanks all to who replied, changed it over no problem!

Grant2k
09-19-2002, 05:36 PM
since i had limited tools, i used a drill to tear out the rubber adn then carefully put a very light slit in the sleeve that was seized in there with a hacksaw. i used a chisel and lightly tapped along the slit that i made with the hacksaw and it popped out. it's messy though.