PDA

View Full Version : Car overheating?

johnwc723
12-30-2007, 08:29 PM
This has happened multiple times now to me driving on the highway now:

My car will stall and refuse to start for at least an hour. When I do get it started if it hasn't been like two hours it will eventually die if idling or if I try to actually go forward with it.

The first time it happened I put about half a gallon of radiator fluid in it thinking that might be the problem but then it happened again later.

I replaced the thermostat thinking that might be the problem but I just boiled the old one (OEM w/ about 10k miles on it) to find out that it is still opening like it should.

As far as what I have observed with the engine the upper radiator hose is pretty warm after running for awhile, the bottom one is quite cold and the thermostat housing is too hot to touch for more than a fraction of a second. The top of the radiator is pretty hot (not as hot as the thermostat housing) but if I touch the fins at all I find them to be pretty much air temperature (which is cold because its winter).

I'm stumped to what is wrong with my car if it is overheating, perhaps the water pump? I'm not getting any sort of engine codes and my temperature gauge for the car is broken.

Thanks for the help!

russiankid
12-30-2007, 08:32 PM
Weird as if the thermostat does open then the upper hose should get hot. When was the last time the water pump was changed? Your radiator may also be clogged. I would replace the water pump and flush out the block and radiator.

Also fix the temperature gauge, how do you know the engine is overheating?

johnwc723
12-30-2007, 10:34 PM
I don't know if its overheating but I can't think of anything else that would cause those symptoms (if anyone else can?). I will probably just go and replace the water pump even though I'm gonna freeze the crap out of my hands in the process if you all think thats probably what it is...

russiankid
12-30-2007, 10:48 PM
My guess would be the main relay if it isn't overheating.

Demon1024
12-31-2007, 01:21 AM
My guess would be the main relay if it isn't overheating.
2x
Easy fix.
and
FIX YOUR DAMN thermo gauge! THE most important gauge! screw gas or speed this is the life of your car

itzdave
12-31-2007, 01:42 AM
:werd: the temp gauge IS the most important... second to that is the fuel gauge imo.

johnwc723
12-31-2007, 01:01 PM
haha yeah both my fuel gauge and temp gauge are broken... go figure :)

I don't have access to a junk yard where I am right now to fix it;

Based on the symptoms is it probably overheating? If so I will probably just replace the water pump for starters, I don't know if it has ever been replaced and the car has 160k on it.