PDA

View Full Version : Pulling rear disc questions

frantik
12-31-2007, 02:08 AM
Ok so was at the jy today trying to pull some rear discs.. i didn't really know what the hell i was doing but I eventually got one side almost all the way off before they closed lol :Owned:

so..

1) what is the best way to separate the knuckle from the ball joint? do i have to get a pickle fork thing? should i just remove the whole upper control arm/ball joint from the car and separate them off the car?

2) how do i disconnect the fatter of the two brake lines? the skinny one just bolts in but the fat one i couldnt tell how to disconnect it and the line made it hard to move the rest of the brakes

3) I know i dont need the trailing arm but it would make it so much easier to disassemble the parts if they were off the car. But it looks like the trailing arm is bolted in in some tight spot under the body.. do you have to get a shallow socket or is there another way to remove it or should i just forget that

LX-incredible
12-31-2007, 09:33 AM
Just pull the whole rear knee, with the trailing and control arms. It's usually the same price as just the caliper and knuckle, as you get whatever you leave attached. 2 bolts to take the upper arm, 2 for the trailing arm bracket, and the 4 that hold the lower arms on. Be sure to disconnect the brake cable first, remove the dust shield (2 bolts) and the rest will be obvious. Also break the brake line that comes out of the body loose. Leave it snug until you are ready to remove the knee, to keep annoyance to a minimum. I've pulled them both ways, and taking the full knee is about 3-4 times faster, requires no special tools except maybe a 10 mm tubing wrench, and is the same cost for extra parts.

A flathead or needlenose will remove the clip that holds the rubber line to the bracket.

If you take the trailing arm bracket with the arm you wont have to deal with that bolt.

frantik
12-31-2007, 02:09 PM
Just pull the whole rear knee, with the trailing and control arms. It's usually the same price as just the caliper and knuckle, as you get whatever you leave attached.

not at pick and pull they will charge you for everything they can lol.. if i leave the ball joint and control arm on there they will charge me for both of those individually and the trailing arm i'm sure too

Be sure to disconnect the brake cable first how? is that the thicker rubber hose line? I couldn't see how to disconnect it

BITESIZE
12-31-2007, 02:42 PM
i took a huge braker bar and got the whole knuckle. I took the unneeded shit off at home. It was a 105 degrees at the salvage yard.

russiankid
12-31-2007, 02:42 PM
To disconnect the brake cable you need to pop the cover off of the caliper and you will see the cable. It is attached with a pin and a clip. The line itself is held on with a clip on a special bracket, the clip comes out just as the other brake like clips. You will need lower the exhaust heat shield to get better access of the brake lines so you can pull them from the interior.

Do not lose the pin and the clip that holds the brake cable to the caliper!!!!!!!!!!!

frantik
12-31-2007, 03:00 PM
i gonna buy new brake lines but want to get the ebrake cable.. do i need to do the heat shield thing for the ebrake cable or just the lines which carry fluid?

i'm beginning to think this might be a bit much for my newb ass lol

It was a 105 degrees at the salvage yard.

yeah it's like 60 today so it's not bad :) i would be happy if i could pull the whole thing though.. i will see today how easy it is.. i've only got two hours though :\

russiankid
12-31-2007, 03:37 PM
The heat shield is for the ebrake cables. i bought all new lines as well just to be safe.

LX-incredible
12-31-2007, 04:16 PM
not at pick and pull they will charge you for everything they can lol.. if i leave the ball joint and control arm on there they will charge me for both of those individually and the trailing arm i'm sure too

how? is that the thicker rubber hose line? I couldn't see how to disconnect it

That's how they do it at the pick and pull in phoenix. On the first set I got they charged me for rear knees and I was like WTF, thats not a knee. The dude went over it, pricing everything individually, and it wound up being more. It's less only if your getting the spindle, without calipers, rotors, lines and stuff.

frantik
12-31-2007, 06:15 PM
w00t thanks a lot guys i went back to PnP today and was able to pull the one side in like 5 minutes by just unbolting the upper control arm since I had already did all the work on it yesterday haha. the other side was a lot easier to do.. I undid the trailing arm + bracket from under the car, then the shocks and lower control arm bolts, then the upper control arm from the body and it all cam down with only the cables and sway bar holding it up.. then it was super easy to disconnect the trailing arm from the knuckle since the backside was exposed now :)

i ended up getting the knuckle/hub/caliper/disc assembly + the balljoint and upper control arm, and brackets thing that holds the knuckle to the trailing arm for like $75. still need to get the ebrake cables plus proportioning valve but it was already past closing time when i finished up so maybe tomorrow

LX-incredible
12-31-2007, 06:50 PM
Was that for both sides or for each?

frantik
12-31-2007, 06:52 PM
for both :D (but it was a half off sale day so normally that would be per side)

[edit: yeah i just looked at my receipt and it looks like they charged me for a knee assembly so i might as well had taken the trailing arm too lol it would make for a lot less work on the install thats for sure :\ ]

russiankid
12-31-2007, 08:36 PM
Get the cables and prop. valve for sure. My SE-i prop valve decided to start leaking so i had to put my LX one in...:(

frantik
12-31-2007, 08:38 PM
there's two seis in the yard.. u want me to grab the other valve for you?

frantik
12-31-2007, 09:17 PM
also, whats the best way to remove the exhaust heat sheild to get to the ebrake cables? i looked and it wasn't immediate obvious but it was getting dark

russiankid
12-31-2007, 10:18 PM
there's two seis in the yard.. u want me to grab the other valve for you?

I don't think that is needed as i am still running LX front brakes, so it wont be much of a difference.

P.S. Im sure someone else would need it so pulling it wont hurt.

russiankid
12-31-2007, 10:18 PM
also, whats the best way to remove the exhaust heat sheild to get to the ebrake cables? i looked and it wasn't immediate obvious but it was getting dark

It is held on by bolts, so just remove the bolts and it drops down.

frantik
12-31-2007, 10:21 PM
cool hopefully it'll be easier to see when the sun isn't setting lol.. damn if i go back tomorrow i'll have gone there every day during their 1/2 off sale lol

russiankid
12-31-2007, 10:24 PM
cool hopefully it'll be easier to see when the sun isn't setting lol.. damn if i go back tomorrow i'll have gone there every day during their 1/2 off sale lol

Haha just out of curiosity how much would you want for that prop valve if i do decide to get another one? I just hate bleeding the brakes:thumbdn:

frantik
01-01-2008, 01:11 AM
i dunno how much it'll cost me but just pay my cost + ship if you want it

frantik
01-01-2008, 05:19 PM
w00t got the ebrake cables and proportioning valve for $20 so total out the door for the brake setup was $95 not too bad

russian i tried to pull the 2nd prop valve but i couldnt get the nuts to budge.. i even had to break one of the lines for the one i got cause i couldnt get it free :\

russiankid
01-01-2008, 05:49 PM
w00t got the ebrake cables and proportioning valve for $20 so total out the door for the brake setup was $95 not too bad

russian i tried to pull the 2nd prop valve but i couldnt get the nuts to budge.. i even had to break one of the lines for the one i got cause i couldnt get it free :\

Oh, thanks anyway i will see how this prop. valve does with the disc's and then decide. I first need to put my oil pump back :Owned:

frantik
01-01-2008, 06:28 PM
doh lol

hey i just realized i forgot to get the solid brake line for one side.. i really dont feel like going back just for that though lol is the one on the lxi usable or do i need it?

russiankid
01-01-2008, 07:23 PM
doh lol

hey i just realized i forgot to get the solid brake line for one side.. i really dont feel like going back just for that though lol is the one on the lxi usable or do i need it?

Not sure could be a different bend pull your wheel off and check.

LiTtLe xOx BitT
01-01-2008, 07:28 PM
doh lol

You should still be able to use the LX-i one.

BITESIZE
01-12-2008, 06:20 PM
I'm glad you got the disk brakes. I haven't been lurking around for quite a while, but my hand is out of the cast now. Post some pictures when you get them put on. Way to join the club!