PDA

View Full Version : Is My Fuel Pump Going?

import racer
12-31-2007, 07:08 AM
well i had this problem back in november but i thought i had it fixed.car started acting up today again,stepped on gas revs went up but wasn't picking up.is this how a bad fuel pump acts.any help would be appreciated.

coope
12-31-2007, 07:33 AM
did u check the fuel filter or maybe u need a tune up

itzdave
12-31-2007, 09:41 AM
if its revving but ur not goin faster, it sounds like the clutch might be slipping. if it was fuel pump, it would act on the revving. you got auto or stick?

russiankid
12-31-2007, 09:57 AM
If it was the fuel pump it would jerk at higher RPMs and stumble.

import racer
12-31-2007, 10:55 AM
it is a 5-speed and it does buck at higher speed.

lostforawhile
12-31-2007, 10:59 AM
na,when it's not getting enough pressure,like right before you run out of gas, you can just step on he gas and it won't do anything at all. it's because the fuel level gets too low in the bowl, and the jets don't function properly. the carb acts completly different then the FI, remember with a FI engine, the fuel will spray in spurts with too low a pressure,the carb pulls it's fuel from the bowl,so all the pump does is fill the bowl. it's pulled under vaccume,in the FI car the pump pressure is what moves the fuel into the engine itself.

import racer
12-31-2007, 11:06 AM
well the book says its the fuel pump or cut off relay,it acts the same way it did when i changed the tank.that time it had a piece of silicone in the pump, but i changed the pump to one with screen on it.so there can't be anything stuck in the pump.

lostforawhile
12-31-2007, 11:15 AM
well the book says its the fuel pump or cut off relay,it acts the same way it did when i changed the tank.that time it had a piece of silicone in the pump, but i changed the pump to one with screen on it.so there can't be anything stuck in the pump.where did you get the pump and what brand is it? if it's the carter from nappa take that piece of crap back. even oreilies quit selling the carter pump for this car, they had so many returns the company quit honoring the warranty.

import racer
12-31-2007, 01:44 PM
i got it at the j/y honda pump.

lostforawhile
12-31-2007, 01:52 PM
i got it at the j/y honda pump.
you need to pick up a pressure gauge,and t it in the line to see what the pressure does when you blip the throttle. also somewhere in the manual theres a test to see how much the pump can pump free flow over time,you use a metal can,bypass the relay,and have someone turn on the key for a set amount of time. then you measure the fuel in the can. if it's below spec, you have a pump or filter problem.

import racer
12-31-2007, 02:11 PM
what manual is that. i have the haynes manual.never saw that test.i have another pump from j/y and two more fuel shut-off relays.i figure i'll change pump first,if that doesn't fix it i'll try the shut-off relay since its easy to get at.

steveko
12-31-2007, 03:01 PM
Why not do what Lostforawhile said it makes more sense.Also the Haynes manual does tell you how too jump out the relay too check pressure.

itzdave
12-31-2007, 03:22 PM
but still... how are the revs goin up and hes goin any faster?

russiankid
12-31-2007, 03:27 PM
If you end up replacing the pump, i am using a Master's pump from autozone. I've been having it for about 6 months now and no problems at all.

lostforawhile
12-31-2007, 03:57 PM
but still... how are the revs goin up and hes goin any faster?
it's leaning out,so the power is dropping off.

itzdave
12-31-2007, 04:34 PM
i could have misread, but i thought he was sayin he stepped on the gas and it would rev but his speed want picking up, as if the clutch was slipping... but i guess eveyone else is leaning towards fuel issues.

jdaddy88lx-i
12-31-2007, 07:58 PM
i could have misread, but i thought he was sayin he stepped on the gas and it would rev but his speed want picking up, as if the clutch was slipping... but i guess eveyone else is leaning towards fuel issues.

thats excactly what he said

itzdave
01-01-2008, 01:52 AM
so.. is the clutch slipping or is it a fuel issue?

steveko
01-01-2008, 08:25 AM
I'm assuming he wrote this wrong, but it sure sounds like a bad clutch issue.

Here's the original Quote, (stepped on gas revs went up but wasn't picking up.)

import racer
01-02-2008, 05:30 PM
well went in to my mother inlaws today to get the car. i picked up a bottle of methyl hydrate and dumped half a bottle in .started her up and drove her home no problem.stil not sure whats wrong,will check it out more if it warms up some.yes i said it was revving up but i think it was spinning because the roads were slippery.

mark_salad_bar
03-03-2008, 06:14 PM
My pump has a mitsubishi symbol on it ...so now i dont know what kind of fuel pump to buy for my 89 accrod carb

steveko
03-03-2008, 07:56 PM
You should post this as a new thread no one will respond too it here. But while I'm here match the old one up with the new if you're unsure.

lostforawhile
03-03-2008, 08:15 PM
My pump has a mitsubishi symbol on it ...so now i dont know what kind of fuel pump to buy for my 89 accrod carbbest one you can get is the bosch one,oreilies autoparts can get them, this is the only one with a metal impeller. most of the pumps out there are crap, the impellers are plastic,they break down over time, and the pump can pump less and less fuel. whatever you do DO NOT get the carter pump for this car,it's absolute trash. you don't even want me to get started on that BS