PDA

View Full Version : hatch power door lock conversion?

lostforawhile
12-31-2007, 11:11 AM
hey who has done hatch power conversions? i'm looking for an actuator thats small enough to fit inside of the door frame. as far as the linkage i'll figure all that out, and for a switch,i pulled the drivers side, rear window switch,from a four door, sedan. the bezel will fit around the end of my door pull on the hatch. i only need a power switch on the drivers side, my wife can use the manual lever. this will just enable me to lock both doors and the ability for the alarm to control the door locks. i will just tie both front door lock motors together.

russiankid
12-31-2007, 01:00 PM
guaynabo89 has power door locks on his hatch if i remember correctly.PM him he may be great help.

forrest89sei
12-31-2007, 01:13 PM
Can't you use the Sedan Latch/Door Lock Motor Combo and just make longer linkage and run the lines and relay box?

I can take pics of mine if it helps

ghettogeddy
12-31-2007, 01:34 PM
Can't you use the Sedan Latch/Door Lock Motor Combo and just make longer linkage and run the lines and relay box?

if that works i have everything on the parts car

forrest89sei
12-31-2007, 01:39 PM
Sedan:

https://www.hondapartsdeals.com/images/hp_parts/13SE00.018.3.gif

Hatch:

https://www.hondapartsdeals.com/images/hp_parts/13SE00.017.7.gif

i think you might be able to just bolt in the Sedan unit and even connect the stock hatch linkage to it?

lostforawhile
12-31-2007, 01:41 PM

the sedans have a notch cut into the door beams,this allows the motor to fit. if it fit all i would have to do it bolt the motor to the existing door latches. i already tried this one time and it wouldn't fit into the door. all the door latch pieces are the same,the motor just bolts to the end of the latch. i just took a power lock actuator and it bolted right to my hatch latch mechanism, but there wasn't enough clearance in the doors. they make aftermarket motors for power door locks that work on the lock rod, but i was wondering if a particular one worked well in the hatch door.

forrest89sei
12-31-2007, 01:44 PM
the sedans have a notch cut into the door beams,this allows the motor to fit. if it fit all i would have to do it bolt the motor to the existing door latches. i already tried this one time and it wouldn't fit into the door. all the door latch pieces are the same,the motor just bolts to the end of the latch. i just took a power lock actuator and it bolted right to my hatch latch mechanism, but there wasn't enough clearance in the doors. they make aftermarket motors for power door locks that work on the lock rod, but i was wondering if a particular one worked well in the hatch door.

Stupid Honda...... lol

What About the Rear ones?

Maybe there smaller?

lostforawhile
12-31-2007, 01:49 PM
Stupid Honda...... lol

What About the Rear ones?

Maybe there smaller?nope already looked,all the lock motors are the same size. the hatch door is also narrower in width then the sedan door. i just picked up a power door lock motor as a matter of fact,so i can pop the gas door by remote control.

thegreatdane
01-01-2008, 09:05 AM
Just modify the hatch door to make it work with the sedan motors. A buddy of mine did that with his and that's what I'm planning to do with my own aerodeck.

stat1K
01-01-2008, 08:16 PM
why not get aftermarket actuators? i have some in my garage and they are pretty small dunno exactly how small you're looking for but these fit my crx.

LX-incredible
01-01-2008, 08:37 PM
http://www.a1electric.com/catalog/cat_door.htm
I have one of these kits and they fit nicely. Everything is included to install. I just need to get around to the other door...

Hazwan
01-01-2008, 08:43 PM
yeah those aftermarket kits will be better since there is next to no modifications required.

lostforawhile
01-01-2008, 08:46 PM
http://www.a1electric.com/catalog/cat_door.htm
I have one of these kits and they fit nicely. Everything is included to install. I just need to get around to the other door...yea all i need is the actuators,i'm making my own controls to my specs. as far as the linkages and so on, i can make those easy

LX-incredible
01-01-2008, 09:23 PM
Overhead aircraft toggle switches? lol.

They have the option of not using switches, when you move the lock the other side mimics. You can't get too large of one in there, as the regulator comes damn close. I would say use some from a sedan, but I think the stroke is too short. It might sound funny, but 90 ish ford taurus actuators look like you could make them work.

lostforawhile
01-01-2008, 09:56 PM
Overhead aircraft toggle switches? lol.

They have the option of not using switches, when you move the lock the other side mimics. You can't get too large of one in there, as the regulator comes damn close. I would say use some from a sedan, but I think the stroke is too short. It might sound funny, but 90 ish ford taurus actuators look like you could make them work.
the actuators attach to the ends of the latch mechanism itself,not the lock rods,the latch part is the same on sedans as the hatch,the hatch has the actuator lever in the end of the latch and the threaded holes for the actuator motor just like the sedan,but the hatch doesn't have the stamped in notch in the door beam to make the motor clear, so it won't fit. i don't know why every one thinks it attaches to the rod. the motor moves the lock mechanism directly in the latch at the end of the door. as far as the switches,i'm only putting a switch on the drivers side, i just want it to lock or unlock both doors at once. the manual levers will still work on the drivers and passenger sides. i'm using the rear window switch from a 4 door sedan,it will fit under the end of my door pull,and look factory.

lostforawhile
01-01-2008, 10:14 PM
switch http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b205/moultriemanicmechanic/S4020144.jpg

stat1K
01-02-2008, 05:38 PM
everyone thinks the rods because that's how aftermarket switches work... it even says in my instructions "attach rod joining brace to both the locking rod and actuator rod." hence why they would be easier... i guess i'm confused what it is you really want?

lostforawhile
01-02-2008, 05:41 PM
oh i was just trying to find some one who had found the actuator that worked well in the hatch doors, and was starting what i hope to be an interesting discussion on power door lock conversions.

thegreatdane
01-03-2008, 08:41 AM
aftermarket door lock actuator kits tends to have a short lifetime. Go with sedan pdl motors ;)

stat1K
01-03-2008, 05:34 PM
well he said that sedan ones don't fit.

carotman
01-03-2008, 09:38 PM
DEI makes decent aftermarket acuators but like thegreatdane said, the OEM ones should last a lifetime.

I'll look into this in the near future for my hatch. I just have so many projects going at this time.

lostforawhile
01-04-2008, 03:35 PM
DEI makes decent aftermarket acuators but like thegreatdane said, the OEM ones should last a lifetime.

I'll look into this in the near future for my hatch. I just have so many projects going at this time.
i'm not sure if the sheet metal is a little different on the ones there,but here the factory motor would run right into the door beam in the door, and it's a huge job to change that,the sedans have a notch stamped into that beam for the motor. i'm thinking of a mounting plate where the factory motor would be,with a cable attachment,and maby mounting the actuators fronm the sedan remotely. hey does anyone know of a japanese car with push pull factory actuators? i'm not taking anything electrical off of american cars, would have better luck with the aftermarket.

labeledsk8r
01-04-2008, 04:42 PM
i'm not sure if the sheet metal is a little different on the ones there,but here the factory motor would run right into the door beam in the door, and it's a huge job to change that,the sedans have a notch stamped into that beam for the motor. i'm thinking of a mounting plate where the factory motor would be,with a cable attachment,and maby mounting the actuators fronm the sedan remotely. hey does anyone know of a japanese car with push pull factory actuators? i'm not taking anything electrical off of american cars, would have better luck with the aftermarket.

i was about to say i know of a car!!!!and its a push pull setup, but its american :( lol good luck man

lostforawhile
01-04-2008, 06:50 PM
i was about to say i know of a car!!!!and its a push pull setup, but its american :( lol good luck man
what one were you thinking of? i was kind of steering away from american car ones because they have a bad history of tearing up.

lostforawhile
01-30-2008, 11:01 AM
ok the actuators are coming from ebay, already built the controls, and i mounted the switch in the center console.

lostforawhile
02-17-2008, 05:39 PM
i'll be ready to install the actuators soon,i will start a thread on this when i do.

stat1K
02-18-2008, 07:27 PM
why start a new thread? that doesn't make any sense.

lostforawhile
02-19-2008, 04:26 PM
why start a new thread? that doesn't make any sense.i was going to do it for a sticky

Legend_master
12-12-2012, 08:21 PM
I'm interested in doing this to my hatch, does anybody have a picture of the spot on the door that does not allow the sedan actuators to bolt on?

lostforawhile
12-13-2012, 09:25 AM
I'm interested in doing this to my hatch, does anybody have a picture of the spot on the door that does not allow the sedan actuators to bolt on?
the actuators bolt to the existing door latch like the cars with factory power door locks, but on the cars with factory locks, there is a notch stamped into the door beam that runs across the door, this notch is where the actuator motor sits, hatches and coupes dont have this notch, so no clearance for the door lock actuator, the door latch itself is identical on both cars

Legend_master
12-13-2012, 09:36 AM
the actuators bolt to the existing door latch like the cars with factory power door locks, but on the cars with factory locks, there is a notch stamped into the door beam that runs across the door, this notch is where the actuator motor sits, hatches and coupes dont have this notch, so no clearance for the door lock actuator, the door latch itself is identical on both cars

Your speaking of the beam that runs horizontally across the door?

lostforawhile
12-13-2012, 01:46 PM
Your speaking of the beam that runs horizontally across the door?

yes, in a car with the power door locks there is a notch stamped into that beam. The beam might have had to be different for some reason on hatchs and coupes, which might explain why they dont have power locks, it might have had something to do with the longer doors

Legend_master
12-13-2012, 02:41 PM
yes, in a car with the power door locks there is a notch stamped into that beam. The beam might have had to be different for some reason on hatchs and coupes, which might explain why they dont have power locks, it might have had something to do with the longer doors

I'm wondering about notching the door myself, its why I ask. I guess I will need to hit the junkyard to determine if that is even possible.

lostforawhile
12-13-2012, 06:25 PM
I'm wondering about notching the door myself, its why I ask. I guess I will need to hit the junkyard to determine if that is even possible.

you'll do a lot better off just getting some after market actuators that attach to the rods and go inside the doors, I think you would have to take the door skin off to change the beams, it's not worth putting in a factory actuator, just go aftermarket