PDA

View Full Version : Shuts off

steveko
01-03-2008, 02:31 PM
Anyone, Know why a car would shut off under load. Then wait 2 sec and then have it run again after starting it back up.

A20A1
01-04-2008, 12:24 PM
did you run the car to redline or something?
that can cause the fuel cut to engage and you'll run out of fuel till you restart the car.

hows your engine temp and oil?

could be electrical also

My car would shut off and it was because of a dying alt not charging the battery.

LX-incredible
01-04-2008, 01:05 PM
Details? Are you running an aftermarket coil? Carbed or injected?

steveko
01-04-2008, 02:19 PM
I would'nt say I red lined it. I gassed it hard in third and forth one day and the next day hard in second. Heat was blasting and on High & Low setting. could the heat cause the fuel pump relay too prematurely cut out? Oh by the way it's carburated and a stock coil. Not sure of oil temp has idiot light. But water temp is great. Also the altenator is new well about new 2 years old along with the battery aconnections are clean.

itzdave
01-04-2008, 02:46 PM
does it shut off totally (no lights, radio, etc...) or just the motor?

steveko
01-04-2008, 04:07 PM
Now that you mention it it's just the motor. Which makes more sense now it has too be a fuel relay issue or the electrical feed too it or the pump I guess.

nfs480
01-04-2008, 04:22 PM
Is it cold where you live? It might have something to do with the frigid air and the carb.

itzdave
01-04-2008, 04:27 PM
how old are the fuel filters? maybe theyre a lil clogged, slowing fuel flow, and when you accelerate too hard ur usingup all the fuel in the lines, and the 2 second wait could be more fuel having to fill the lines. BUT, i dont think it would just shut off, it would be more of a gradual (sp) stuttering/kicking.

russiankid
01-04-2008, 04:34 PM
Something is causing either fuel or spark cut off. How's your ignition system?

steveko
01-04-2008, 07:29 PM
Oh man the last 2 days were bitter cold 18 -20deg one day with the wind chill 8. little warmer today.about 40deg and warming you're right it could be that. I found the exhaust heat riser tube disconnected may be the problem. Fuel filters are great. Ignition wise not sure of the voltage too the fuel pump when running or coil voltage.

nfs480
01-04-2008, 08:32 PM
Yeah, I remember hearing on Cartalk like 2 weeks ago that someone with an '85 Accord was having the same problem. They said it had something to do with the cold air freezing something in the carburater and causing the engine to die. After a few minutes, the heat from the engine would thaw it and the engine would work again. There's supposed to be something in the carburater to stop that from happening but it's not working correctly. I believe this was what they were referring to: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carburetor_icing

steveko
01-05-2008, 07:52 AM
I don't believe it's a freezing issue it starts right up after 2seconds or so and runs again.I did have this issue on my 79 camaro I had before this car. The out side of the carb was completely frozen.

steveko
02-14-2008, 03:17 PM
The heat riser tube along with the check valve and trap door ended up being the problem.

Just in case someone reads this.