PDA

View Full Version : Manual Trans Question

Hecubus84
01-03-2008, 07:13 PM
I am converting my 87 Lxi to manual transmission. I already have every part I need except for the 5 speed. The "how to" (http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=102) says that 88-89 transmissions won't work with 86-87 engines. Is this accurate? I ask because I haven't been able to locate a single functional 86-87 5 speed since I've begun my search. In addition to that I've heard people say that all 3rd gen trannys are interchangeable.

Somebody care to clear up my confusion?

-Hec

MessyHonda
01-03-2008, 10:20 PM
the only difference in the tranmitions are the carb and the fuel injected models....the carb has a taller final drive so you get better gas millage but the fuel injected give you more quicker take offs.

2ndGenGuy
01-03-2008, 10:58 PM
Any 86-89 tranny should bolt into your car just fine. Like Messy says, the difference is in the gearing on the 5-speeds.

Hauntd ca3
01-04-2008, 12:31 AM
i found that when i done the auto to manual swap on my si that it was best to get all the parts from the manual eqivilent version of my car.
honda have a nasty habit of changing the dowels on the end of the block every once and a while.
half shafts can be diff lengths aswell which complicates things more.
i had three goes at getting the right inner half of the left hand shaft.
can be an arsehole of a job unless you have the right parts from the right car
best of luck

AccordEpicenter
01-04-2008, 03:11 AM
honda have a nasty habit of changing the dowels on the end of the block every once and a while.
half shafts can be diff lengths aswell which complicates things more.

half shafts are only different lengths auto vs manual in a20... what do you mean about changing dowels in the end of the block? Ive never came across anything different like that a20 or BS or even BT

Hauntd ca3
01-04-2008, 11:45 AM
dowels are the steel pegs that stick out of the block to locate the trans on to the block accurately.

Dr_Snooz
01-05-2008, 06:15 PM
Ha! I'm not the only one having trouble getting parts. See. See!!!