PDA

View Full Version : Illumination Going Out on Push Button Vent Controls

ELM'sLX+CHL'sDX
09-18-2002, 03:52 PM
Hey Guys,

I'm having an issue with the illumination on the push button vent controls (LX/LXI/SEI style). The blue illumination of the REC and FRESH buttons is failing on me. It comes on sometimes when I hit the buttons real hard but then it goes off again as soon as I go over a bump. Both buttons appear to receive their illumination from the same source because they go off and on in unison. The illumination on the other buttons (VENT, HEAT, A/C, etc) work fine. Note that I am talking only about the blue illumination that comes on when you have the headlights on (not the orange/green LED indicators that show which button is pressed). The LED indicators work fine.

Has anyone else had this problem and do you know how to fix it? About a year ago I had the LED indicators for the VENT and FRESH buttons resoldered. At the time I didn't see any blue lights that might provide the illumination of the buttons. Does anyone know where the illumination comes from?

Please help. It's very annoying to have to be driving down the street constantly beating on my REC/FRESH buttons! :crying: :help:

Erika

SiR
09-19-2002, 06:57 AM
Mine also, they seem to have gone about a week. But mine don't illuminate at all. We're in it together!!!

Rooz

socal3rdgen
09-19-2002, 07:27 AM
mine goes out to. But if i push the button real hard it stays lit. I'm in the same boat also.

AZmike
09-19-2002, 11:46 AM
There's a How-To on fixing this. You pull the push button assembly out, disassemble it, and resolder the LEDs. The orignal solder breaks after years of vibration.

ELM'sLX+CHL'sDX
09-19-2002, 12:13 PM
Mike,

Yeah, I know about the LED thing... been there done that. What I am talking about is the blue illumination (you know of the lettering) that comes on when you have the headlights on. The LED indicators are working fine.

Anyone have any experience with this?

Erika

87accordlx
09-19-2002, 03:09 PM
i have the same problem but only om my REC button, my A/C button still works fine, so u guess they're not she same bulb, i'm pretty sure that that perticular lighting uses a bulb with a blue condom over it so it's 99% that it's just a burnt bulb, however i have no idea how to get at it without taking the whole dash apart, maby go to a junkyard and practice on one of their cars?

ELM'sLX+CHL'sDX
09-19-2002, 05:48 PM
My problem is with the REC and FRESH. The A/C illuminates fine. The thing that makes me think the REC and FRESH are using the same bulb is that when I hit them they will both come on. And then if I hit a bump or something, they both go off together. But you say you only have a problem with the REC and not the FRESH button? That kills my entire theory.

I was looking at the diagram of the heater controls in the Honda service manual and I think you may be right about the bulb with the blue condom thing. In that case you will have to take the dash apart. It's a pain for sure, but do-able. I wouldn't waste time practicing on the junkyard cars cause it takes long enough to do it on just one car for real, let alone for practice. I had to do this before when my LED lights went out. I sure wish I had just replaced the bulbs at that time.

Erika

Originally posted by 87accordlx
i have the same problem but only om my REC button, my A/C button still works fine, so u guess they're not she same bulb, i'm pretty sure that that perticular lighting uses a bulb with a blue condom over it so it's 99% that it's just a burnt bulb, however i have no idea how to get at it without taking the whole dash apart, maby go to a junkyard and practice on one of their cars?

smufguy
09-19-2002, 08:02 PM
the amazing this is, all the leds inside are clear ones. pretty fun to look at em. also if ur talking about those vent lights not working, hook up a led to it too.

87accordlx
09-19-2002, 09:43 PM
no your theory is correct, i don't have a "fresh" button
hope that clears things up