PDA

View Full Version : Timing belt cover removal necessary to replace water pump?

johnwc723
01-07-2008, 01:37 PM
I'm in the process of replacing my water pump and it seems like I have gotten all the bolts removed... Are there any bolts under the timing belt cover that need to be removed? I'm hitting it with a hammer and its not coming off so I'm thinking there must be a bolt I'm missing.

Thanks!

itzdave
01-07-2008, 01:42 PM
I'm in the process of replacing my water pump and it seems like I have gotten all the bolts removed... Are there any bolts under the timing belt cover that need to be removed? I'm hitting it with a hammer and its not coming off so I'm thinking there must be a bolt I'm missing.

Thanks!

as far as i can remember, there is an upper and lower tbelt cover. i dont have any pix of where they are, but i know that i didnt even mess with putting mine back on because it was a pain. all the bolt for the pump and cover are, i believe, 10mm. be sure and use some rtv on the pump gasket too, and be sure not to jump a tooth on the belt.:wave:

russiankid
01-07-2008, 01:44 PM
If i remember correctly, on the timing belt cover there is a special hole to access the lower water pump bolt. The hole is covered by a cap, which is hard to get off, mine ended up breaking the special washer and falling down under the cover. If it breaks off don't worry i didn't have any problems, and when i took my cover off the washer was laying at the bottom.Getting the bolt though is easy. To get the pump back in, you need to remove the upper bolt next to the water pump on the timing belt cover so you can sort of pry it out of the way so you can insert the pump.

russiankid
01-07-2008, 01:46 PM
as far as i can remember, there is an upper and lower tbelt cover. i dont have any pix of where they are, but i know that i didnt even mess with putting mine back on because it was a pain. all the bolt for the pump and cover are, i believe, 10mm. be sure and use some rtv on the pump gasket too, and be sure not to jump a tooth on the belt.:wave:

I didn't use any sealant and i don't have any leaks.

russiankid
01-07-2008, 01:51 PM
http://img223.imageshack.us/img223/6292/17483404lx2.jpg

I highlighted it in blue.

Oldblueaccord
01-07-2008, 02:12 PM
Wait a minute RussainKid thats the bolt to tension the timing belt . DO NOT mess with the bolt it has nothing to do with the water pump.

Im pretty sure you can get the pump off with out messing with the lower cover at all. Look at your new pump and compare it to the old one on the car and make sure all the bolts are out. I am going to guess theres 4 bolts. The water pump uses an O ring,

wp

LX-incredible
01-07-2008, 02:45 PM
You do not need to remove the tensioner bolt to get the pump out. I removed the upper cover and the 3 or 4 bolts I could get to for the lower. Remove the upper alternator bracket and undo all the pump bolts including the one behind the plug. Break the pump loose, pull the cover back, and slide it back on the stud that the alt bracket bolted to.

russiankid
01-07-2008, 03:08 PM
Wait a minute RussainKid thats the bolt to tension the timing belt . DO NOT mess with the bolt it has nothing to do with the water pump.

Im pretty sure you can get the pump off with out messing with the lower cover at all. Look at your new pump and compare it to the old one on the car and make sure all the bolts are out. I am going to guess theres 4 bolts. The water pump uses an O ring,

wp
NO the tensioner bolt sticks out of the cover without any cover on it, hence why it is so long. There is a cover or plug right next to it, which has to be removed in order to access the lower water pump bolt.

jdaddy88lx-i
01-07-2008, 08:08 PM
NO the tensioner bolt sticks out of the cover without any cover on it, hence why it is so long. There is a cover or plug right next to it, which has to be removed in order to access the lower water pump bolt.

This is correct.

johnwc723
01-07-2008, 10:08 PM
Thanks for all the help everyone! its quite strange, I know at this point that i have all the bolts/nuts out and i actually was able to partially pry off the top of the water pump. Its quite strange though because as soon as I stop prying the water pump will immediately go back to being stuck flush against the block again.

I know it sounds like I don't have all the bolts out but I honestly do! It's quite strange... I think I'm just going to bite the bullet and take off the timing belt cover as I am almost there anyways (other than the damn pulley ugh) and see what the hell is going on with the pump not wanting to come off! Unless anyone has an idea of what the problem might be, I have already damaged the top of the old pump prying at it so I pretty much have to replace it now...

John

russiankid
01-10-2008, 01:26 PM
Removing the timing belt cover is quite easy as long as you can get the pulley bolt loose. I had to get a shop to break it loose for me, which involved heating it up with a torch and then hitting it with an impact gun. Also if you do end up taking the cover off, make sure to torque the crank shaft bolt to 83 ft/lbs, and recheck the torque after a little bit of driving as you do not want the bolt to come loose. If it comes loose, you will f*ck the crankshaft up.

LX-incredible
01-10-2008, 07:52 PM
You do not need to remove the crank pulley to change the water pump.

russiankid
01-10-2008, 08:09 PM
You do not need to remove the crank pulley to change the water pump.

He cannot get the pump out, all the bolts are out. He is considering about removing.

LX-incredible
01-10-2008, 08:58 PM
Did you remove the upper cover? Also check that the rubber washer that goes around the T-belt tensioner bolt is removed.

Demon1024
01-10-2008, 11:49 PM
Just take off the upper cover. i know there is a bolt under it. i didn't know it had a covered hole to acces it imma look at that in a sec...

What's wrong bout looseining the tensioner you have to to replace the tensioner anyway don't see any harm doing it here i had to take it out doing my water pump (well not had too, but) to make it easyier to get to that bolt under the cover.
And use the gasket sealer you don't want to do it twice! just a little insurance against that.