PDA

View Full Version : 1st or 2nd gen Accord Tach - Wanted

redr2
01-07-2008, 09:04 PM
Hey guys looking for a first or 2nd gen Accord Tachometer. Long story, but need the guts for my first gen Civic. DOn't care what it looks like as long as it works.

thanks!

- Kurt

2ndGenGuy
01-07-2008, 10:06 PM
You should post this in the "Trading Post" section on the website.

http://www.3geez.com/forum/sr_classifieds.php

I'm not 100% sure if the rule is 50 posts or 30 days membership. But I would think you would be able to get in there.

oldpanelsuk
03-17-2008, 12:03 PM
I've got a new one that has a 1st gen Accord part number, let me know if you are still looking and want a picture of it.
Peter

lostforawhile
03-17-2008, 01:49 PM
are you trying to put the tach in a first gen civic? if you can find the mechanical one and the cable i have the drive assembly that goes on the side of the dizzy. if you want the electric one they just got a second gen hatch here at the yard. it's complete. it has the orange instrument markings.

redr2
03-17-2008, 07:38 PM
I have actually found one. I needed one for my Civic with an Accord motor so the early cable driven one will not work for my application. thanks anyway :wave:

are you trying to put the tach in a first gen civic? if you can find the mechanical one and the cable i have the drive assembly that goes on the side of the dizzy. if you want the electric one they just got a second gen hatch here at the yard. it's complete. it has the orange instrument markings.

2ndGenGuy
03-17-2008, 10:14 PM
Oh hey how did that work out? I hope you're satisfied with the deal... :)

redr2
03-18-2008, 06:55 PM
Yup,

Its almost done. I removed the circuit board and moved it on its side so I could install the whole assembly in my first gen Civic guage pod. I will use a first gen spedometer needle and first gen guage face (I use custom white ones) and no one should ever know its not a Civic Tach.

My motor is far from done so it will be a while before I can run it. :wave:

redr2
03-18-2008, 07:06 PM
Here are some pics:

[img=http://img72.imageshack.us/img72/7194/img1074ky0.th.jpg] (http://img72.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img1074ky0.jpg)

Civic Accord Honda
03-18-2008, 07:21 PM
cool (Y)

2ndGenGuy
03-18-2008, 07:43 PM
Sweet man. Looks good, would love to see it all finished too. :) Nice camera BTW.

Hazwan
03-18-2008, 07:45 PM
Why do you need the Accord tach?

redr2
03-18-2008, 10:16 PM
Ya, I like my camera.

I'm not exactly sure why I need the Accord Tach :)

When I swapped in the EL motor into the Civic my stock Civic tachometer never worked. I had 3 and they were all the same and all were working tachs.

I use a Mallory digital ignition module (cdi) and an MSD blaster coil so the tach signal wire can no longer run off the negative side of the coil like the stock set up. Instead the signal wire comes out of the ignition module but for some reason the Civic tach will not read it. Mallory does sell a tach adapter but they run for about $180 for the one I need.

The 1st gen Civic also use points instead of the Accord's electronic ignition so I am not sure if that effects it as well, although I lean more to the digital ignition side of things.

I am hoping the Accord tach will work off the Mallory signal wire. If not I may try a basic aftermarket one and see how that does. Lastly I may have to break down and buy the Mallory tach adapter. :gun: