PDA

View Full Version : Why would there be oil in the airfilter?

Reptile
01-07-2008, 10:13 PM
On an 87 LX-i? PCV valve or something else? The engine is chuging from time to time as well.

Reptile
01-07-2008, 10:19 PM
And on that matter, is pure synthetic oil bad for our cars? Specifically Valvoline SysPower full synthetic?

forrest89sei
01-07-2008, 10:23 PM
On an 87 LX-i? PCV valve or something else? The engine is chuging from time to time as well.

Well there Should be a Blow By Filter in the Air box, check it, it might need to be replaced, but yes Check the PCV

On the Oil, if the motor has like under 100K miles on it, then that oil is fine, otherwise you should go to standard oil

Reptile
01-07-2008, 11:16 PM
How about 102K miles?

Cheeseburger
01-07-2008, 11:24 PM
i would just stick with regular oil for the a20

MessyHonda
01-08-2008, 01:01 AM
yup cheese is right....as long as the oil is clean you should be good. i put in syntetic and it just started to leak from every filter....now i want to buy the gasket kit for my dx...but its not worth it...just drops like 1 quart every 1500 miles

jdaddy88lx-i
01-08-2008, 04:50 PM
If you have the stock air box, make sure to check the vent hose from the valve cover to the air duct to see if oil is getting through.

lostforawhile
01-08-2008, 04:54 PM
i use the semisynthetic,seems to work good. as far as the oil it def could be your pcv system. there is a seperator that is on the back of the block,it's supposed to let the blowby gasses go to the pcv valve and the oil back to the pan, if your pcv is clogged all the blowby and oil vapors from the crankcase have to go somewhere,so they back up into the air filter. normally air is pulled through that filter in the air cleaner,circulated through the engine,goes through the seperator, up through the pcv valve, and the blowby is burned in the engine. check the hoses on the pcv valve for collapsed sections, and check the hose coming out the back of the pan.for the same. this is the hosse where your blowby gasses are pulled from the engine. it's normal for oil to be vaporized in the crankcase,the rotating crank throws it everywhere and some of it gets whipped into a mist. the seperator on the back of the engine is supposed to send this oil back to the pan,after it gets condensed. if the system is clogged,that oil vapor is pulled right into the air cleaner

Reptile
01-09-2008, 01:23 PM
Thank you all for the responces. I will look into all of these possible issues.

Harrison_Bergeron
03-23-2010, 07:49 PM
Has anyone with this issue fixed it? I've found several threads about oil in the air box, but they all ended with "thanks, I'll see if that's it".

It seems like this could be causing my non starting, oil saturating the air filter enough to choke the engine.