PDA

View Full Version : EK1 powerd civic

labeledsk8r
01-09-2008, 09:58 AM
i found this on a myspace car groupe thought id post it up for you 1gee guys, i see some nice work done to the 1978 accord cvcc engine, droped in a civic. anways heres some pics and link.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y126/labeledsk8r/1979civicengine.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y126/labeledsk8r/1979civicangle.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y126/labeledsk8r/1979civicinterior.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y126/labeledsk8r/enginebay.jpg

more info and more pics can be found here http://www.wiredonhonda.com/vb/features.php

hope im putting this in the right spot... :D

2ndGenGuy
01-09-2008, 10:52 AM
WOW! That is all I can say about that! Very nice!

Boo to the future D16 swap though. You know that with 90whp that tiny-ass car is already gonna fly.

forrest89sei
01-09-2008, 11:10 AM
Neat!

:D

stat1K
01-09-2008, 05:29 PM
WOW! That is all I can say about that! Very nice!

Boo to the future D16 swap though. You know that with 90whp that tiny-ass car is already gonna fly.

why boo to the d16 swap? can you imagine this car with a z6 or y8 putting down 120whp with vtec... disgusting in my opinion. oh and still light weight unlike the b which would make this thing oversteer like a mother fucker.

fullthrottle_man
01-09-2008, 06:33 PM
That's one sweeeeeet Civic! If only my Prelude looked half as good!.... ;)

Civic Accord Honda
01-09-2008, 06:34 PM
why boo to the d16 swap? can you imagine this car with a z6 or y8 putting down 120whp with vtec... disgusting in my opinion. oh and still light weight unlike the b which would make this thing oversteer like a mother fucker.
D eninges suck thats why
yes they aftermarket but there engine is shit

labeledsk8r
01-09-2008, 06:39 PM

i would think for 1 D engines are well crap, but i think the main reason is its a OLD civic, therefor its swap is a OLD engine, throw a D in and its just well not really a classical build, and plus if your gona swap a newer engine why a crappy d there H's to be had, and we all know with work they fit

2ndGenGuy
01-09-2008, 06:53 PM
Nah I just say boo on the D-series because this car is whoop ass with it's original-era engine. Not that the D-series swap would be bad, just I think that the car is super-cool the way it is. People open the hood and go WTF is that engine?

knarg
01-09-2008, 07:02 PM
i really like that interior!

knarg
01-09-2008, 07:04 PM

wouldn't it understeer...?
or do you mean torque steer

stat1K
01-09-2008, 07:05 PM
D eninges suck thats why
yes they aftermarket but there engine is shit

i would think for 1 D engines are well crap, but i think the main reason is its a OLD civic, therefor its swap is a OLD engine, throw a D in and its just well not really a classical build, and plus if your gona swap a newer engine why a crappy d there H's to be had, and we all know with work they fit

explanation as to why the d series motor is bad...? if either of you can tell me why or make a valid point i would love to hear it.

oh and an h in that would be annoying at best. so i'll be waiting to hear back from the both of you.

stat1K
01-09-2008, 07:13 PM
wouldn't it understeer...?
or do you mean torque steer

i did mean understeer sorry. just saw your reply.

labeledsk8r
01-09-2008, 07:24 PM
explanation as to why the d series motor is bad...? if either of you can tell me why or make a valid point i would love to hear it.

oh and an h in that would be annoying at best. so i'll be waiting to hear back from the both of you.

a 1.6 engine makeing what 120 whp if lucky? for as new as it is it wasnt built to be a power makeing engine, it was a cheep engine that got the job done for hondas cheep comuter cars the civic. of other engines of its time theres alot more powerfull options. i think its hardly worth converting that car over to fuel injection and all that wireing for a engine that has 20 more horses... if he was to make all that wireing and mounts then i would think go H theres a few videos on youtube of H swaped civics of that gen. really D engines arnt that great, only reason people tune them is becuse there cheep to get... and 70% of hondas are tuned becuse they can be done on a budget,

now lets not continue this in this thread, this thread is about a well build classic engine, if you want D engine praise go to h-t

stat1K
01-09-2008, 07:37 PM
ha how much hp does your accord have? and 20hp gain is a lot especially since you can get d motors for next to nothing.. and again h = heavy and huge. that wasn't really an argument against d motors since your accord was made to be a commuter car as well and so was the old motor that is in this car. and the mounts could be way easier to make for a d since it's smaller and the wiring is the easy part as most of it can be done out of the car. that's probably why he's deciding to do a d swap not an h... and telling me why there bad doesn't mean you say "they weren't made for power" or "there crap" ... so yeah good argument.

for future reference; get your d-series hating comments straight... if i want praise for a d i won't go anywhere near h-t since they hate them more than you guys... i'll go to d-series.org where i'm already a member.

oh and with the purchase of just a cam and gear from akmee the y8 as been shown to make 130whp after tuning with only i/h/e.

Civic Accord Honda
01-09-2008, 07:42 PM
D engine is bad as in
they burn oil like crazy and thow rods all the time and many other reasions im not going to sit here and list them all can we get back on topic?

labeledsk8r
01-09-2008, 07:44 PM
ha how much hp does your accord have? and 20hp gain is a lot especially since you can get d motors for next to nothing.. and again h = heavy and huge. that wasn't really an argument against d motors since your accord was made to be a commuter car as well and so was the old motor that is in this car. and the mounts could be way easier to make for a d since it's smaller and the wiring is the easy part as most of it can be done out of the car. that's probably why he's deciding to do a d swap not an h... and telling me why there bad doesn't mean you say "they weren't made for power" or "there crap" ... so yeah good argument.

for future reference; get your d-series hating comments straight... if i want praise for a d i won't go anywhere near h-t since they hate them more than you guys... i'll go to d-series.org where i'm already a member.

oh and with the purchase of just a cam and gear from akmee the y8 as been shown to make 130whp after tuning with only i/h/e.

good sir, i do not own a accord right now, i have a 3100 V6 cutlass, so please do not compair me, im sorry we dont agree its my opinion though, i like the A engine yes, but the 3gee does not have as easy as a swap as any D engined car. this is an opinion and this argument is going to go noware

2ndGenGuy
01-09-2008, 08:32 PM
How about a dual carb D-series? That would be pretty badass. Can you trigger the VTEC solenoid with an RPM activated switch, instead of an ECU?

stat1K
01-09-2008, 08:55 PM
yes you can... and sohcinwa a member on d-series.org has dual weber 45's on his d15 in a sedan and puts down some pretty respectable track times...

this is his sig on d-series...
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
162hp&123ft/lbs
1990 Civic LX Sedan,D15b (JDM) non vtec
p29's on Stock rods and bolts, .040 off of stock head
Dual 45mm Weber Carbs,Bisimoto Camshaft & Springs
New Time 8-3-07
14.00 @ 96mph 1.9 60ft Bisi tuned
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--
and to respond to cah my d doesn't burn any oil and doesn't throw rods... that's retarded people redlining their car everywhere they go which will cause that to happen to any motor.

and labeld this argument is going to go "noware" because you don't have anything to argue with. all i'm saying is that d-series motors are not as bad as you guys make them out to be and would be pretty mean (especially with dual carbs) in that car.

Civic Accord Honda
01-09-2008, 09:03 PM
well most burn oil since most ricers own them and they dont hold the miles like other honda motors do
not all are bad but alot are

Hazwan
01-09-2008, 09:31 PM
LOL so much D series hate in here..

I myself is planning to go with D (dunno what yet) when my engine blows up. I can get the engine for next to nothing. Sure the work needed is a lot, but still a lot cheaper and better (power and fuel economy) than to rebuilt my stock EL engine (68hp vs 100+ and still the D gets better mileage!)

As for that civic, its HOT! I love the mean wide fender flares.

vipspiffy
01-09-2008, 09:41 PM
when my engine blows up

hahahaahahahahaha:rofl::rofl:

let's be serious now. :lol:

that's what i say. but it's a HONDA

knarg
01-10-2008, 02:30 AM
LOL so much D series hate in here..

I myself is planning to go with D (dunno what yet) when my engine blows up. I can get the engine for next to nothing. Sure the work needed is a lot, but still a lot cheaper and better (power and fuel economy) than to rebuilt my stock EL engine (68hp vs 100+ and still the D gets better mileage!)

As for that civic, its HOT! I love the mean wide fender flares.

yeah i love the 2nd gen civics!!

Hazwan
01-10-2008, 02:43 AM
Wonder how that side mirrors would look like on my car.. I kinda like it lol

cubert
01-10-2008, 05:04 AM
thats a badass little civic.....

well most burn oil since most ricers own them and they dont hold the miles like other honda motors do
not all are bad but alot are

My car sees 7200rpms on a daily basis...the motor has almost 170k on it, and i dont seem to burn a drop of oil or have any odd engine noises....

I think a D-swap with dual carbs into that car would be cool shit :thumbup:

2oodoor
01-10-2008, 06:30 AM
Nah I just say boo on the D-series because this car is whoop ass with it's original-era engine. Not that the D-series swap would be bad, just I think that the car is super-cool the way it is. People open the hood and go WTF is that engine?

My sentiments exactly...
very nice car and neatly done, I wouldn't swap it,

stat1K
01-10-2008, 09:03 AM
i understand the sentiments for an old car and my argument isn't against that it's just that the people on this forum talk smack about d motors and probably never have owned one or worked on one. my car has 169k miles without any engine problems and i drive it hard all the time so yeah... but hazwan if you do the d you'll have to make writeups and detailed steps cus that would be pretty sick imo.

79cord
01-10-2008, 09:37 AM
I wouldn't pass up a D16 either, though I'd be wanting an Integra twin cam version, often confused for ZC.
SUBSTANTIALLY lighter than the EK/EL, as a B-series is to a lesser extent.
Only thing that turns me off is the worry that they mightn't have the same torquey character.
& I'd like to keep things Bolt-in Factory style & reverseable. Which a EK/L is for some early Civic, where D16 wouldn't be.

Must get round to borrowing a friends for a drive though.

PS.
'78 Accord EK !?
& that does look like the early style alloy cam cover.
'78 Accord 1600 CVCC. or am I confused too.

'Custom throttle body' for Webers

stat1K
01-10-2008, 09:43 AM
i have a d16a1 in my garage right now just sitting because it won't bolt into my rex and i don't want to make a driver side mount for it cus i prefer the single cams... if you want it ever let me know i don't forsee it going anywhere soon.

although shipping would be a bitch huh?

79cord
01-10-2008, 10:02 AM
Yep, wouldn't want to think about shipping.
But will be keeping eyes open for worthless early Integra, probably for '81 Prelude though as more of a silly car than the All-rounder Accord.
Our CRX only came with the later D16 twin-cam (but then we only got 2nd gen), so I bought an '89 SiR import (B16) when I saw one (not common here either).
Still wonder how wise that cars spec. was by the time they loaded it with all the options to weigh it down & bigger anti-roll bars to try & compensate..

MessyHonda
01-10-2008, 01:15 PM
when i was talking to derek he rebuilt his engine for boast and its doing like 250whp.

stat1K
01-10-2008, 04:37 PM
for boast? and i assume you're talking about a dohc d16a1 or zc? and yeah the dual cam d would be sick in these little cars since it's not as heavy as say an h and boost would be sick on this thing too.

2oodoor
01-11-2008, 04:37 AM
for boast? and i assume you're talking about a dohc d16a1 or zc? and yeah the dual cam d would be sick in these little cars since it's not as heavy as say an h and boost would be sick on this thing too.

well yeah I reckon one could boast about having a dohc motor in that old Civic....!

I guess if the modded cvcc engine gave out, swapping to a new style engine of anykind would be pretty cool in that car.. as long as the dual carbs stayed.

I think one of the drawbacks on the D series sohc engine is the oem rings are soft and get flattend out pretty easy, then the oil slinging begins with the extra strain on the rods trying to crush solid matter. The cylinders on those need reinforcing too, they move a good bit with heat cycles.
I agree though this thread was not intended for a Dseries brawl, it is about the Civic in post #1.

stat1K
01-11-2008, 09:30 AM
agreed but i'm glad that someone brings some useful and thought out material for argument's sake. the civic is still sick no matter what... and i would love to have one.

redr2
01-19-2008, 12:09 AM
I have virtually the same engine in my '78 Civic with dual carbs and several other mods. I have also driven another 1st gen Civic with a D16Y8 (VTEC). The EK/EL motors with the twin carbs pull harder out of the hole (more torque) but they cannot hang with the newer VTEC motor once you reach about 4000 rpm. This is with a stock D16 accept for the header.

I like the old school motors for the torque and general retro look but must admit that $ for $ the D16 VTEC swap is the way to go. There is not too much point in boosting the motors, nitrous, etc as they become limited with the lack of traction and this is with 15" Z rated tires.

There are few cars on the road that can keep up with these little cars running these VTEC swaps.

2oodoor
01-19-2008, 03:13 AM
I have virtually the same engine in my '78 Civic with dual carbs and several other mods. I have also driven another 1st gen Civic with a D16Y8 (VTEC). The EK/EL motors with the twin carbs pull harder out of the hole (more torque) but they cannot hang with the newer VTEC motor once you reach about 4000 rpm. This is with a stock D16 accept for the header.

I like the old school motors for the torque and general retro look but must admit that $ for $ the D16 VTEC swap is the way to go. There is not too much point in boosting the motors, nitrous, etc as they become limited with the lack of traction and this is with 15" Z rated tires.

There are few cars on the road that can keep up with these little cars running these VTEC swaps.

good point,very true ( unless you are talking all out drag car, that is a whole other issue)