PDA

View Full Version : ECU and Check Engine Light issues

accordargentina
01-09-2008, 10:04 AM
Hi everybody, I'm writing from Argentina.

Please if anybody can help me...

I just have bought an Accord LXI 1988, made in Marysville, with an A20A3 Engine.

The "Check Engine Light" does not light at all. I found that the bulb was not there, so I took the one of the Battery and put it in the "Check Engine" hole. OK, the light now is ALWAYS on. Even in the key on the "start" point, as when engine is running.

I check the ECU, and when I check the red led of the ECU, i saw that it is constantly on, no blinking!

The question is: Why "Check Engine Light" and "ECU Red Led" are constantly on? Is this normal??'

BIG THANKS!

(and sorry for my poor english)

forrest89sei
01-09-2008, 11:08 AM
Hi everybody, I'm writing from Argentina.

Please if anybody can help me...

I just have bought an Accord LXI 1988, made in Marysville, with an A20A3 Engine.

The "Check Engine Light" does not light at all. I found that the bulb was not there, so I took the one of the Battery and put it in the "Check Engine" hole. OK, the light now is ALWAYS on. Even in the key on the "start" point, as when engine is running.

I check the ECU, and when I check the red led of the ECU, i saw that it is constantly on, no blinking!

The question is: Why "Check Engine Light" and "ECU Red Led" are constantly on? Is this normal??'

BIG THANKS!

(and sorry for my poor english)

Maybe This will help?

ECU CODES for 86-89 accord and 85-89 prelude

00 LED FLASH(s) ECU

01 LED FLASH(s) 85-98 Accord
Oxygen Sensor "A" (Primary)
defective circuit or unplugged / defective sensor

02 LED FLASH(s) 85-89 Accord
Oxygen Sensor "B"

03 LED FLASH(s) 85-98 Accord
MAP Sensor (Manifold Absolute Pressure)

04 LED FLASH(s) Crank Angle

05 LED FLASH(s) 85-98 * Accord
MAP Sensor (Manifold Absolute Pressure)
mechanical problem / disconnected piping
* exc. 94-95

06 LED FLASH(s) 85-98 Accord
ECT Sensor (Engine Coolant Temperature)

07 LED FLASH(s) 85-98 Accord
TP Sensor (Throttle Position)

08 LED FLASH(s) 85-98 Accord
TDC Sensor (Top Dead Center)

09* LED FLASH(s) 85-98** Accord
CYP Sensor (Cylinder)
* not a valid code for any throttle body injection Hondas
** not a valid code for V-6 engines

10 LED FLASH(s) 85-98 Accord
IAT Sensor (Intake Air Temperature)

12 LED FLASH(s) 85-98 Accord
EGR Lift Sensor (Exhaust Gas Recirculation)

13 LED FLASH(s) 85-98 Accord
BARO Sensor (Atmospheric Pressure)

14 LED FLASH(s) 88-98 Accord
IAC Valve (Idle Air Control)
IAC VALVE HELP

15 LED FLASH(s) Ignition output signal

16 LED FLASH(s) fuel injector

17 LED FLASH(s) 88-98 Accord
VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor)

accordargentina
01-10-2008, 10:39 AM
thanks forrest89sei,
the questions are:

1º - the "check engine light" must be on within 2 secs when the key is in contact position, and then must be off when the engine is running? in my case, the light is always on, even with the engine running.

2º - when the "check engine light" wants to show me that a problem is ocurring, it must be blinking or just "on" all the time?

3º - the "red led" on the ECU, behind the little plastic door, when the car is in perfect shape, must be off, or on all the time with no blinking? in my case, the light is always on with no blinking.

If you can check this and tell me what what do you see, it would be helpful.

THANKS!

HONDA ACCORD COUPE LXI 1988 - A20A3 - MADE IN U.S.A.

89trooper
02-21-2008, 11:17 AM
I have an 89 accord that has a few problems. I googled for the trouble codes for my 3rd gen and I found some good info.

Here is the link for it. The stuff is on about.com

http://autorepair.about.com/library/ts/obd-i/bl-dtcs-64.htm

Have fun fixing your accords

2drSE-i
02-21-2008, 12:30 PM
ok when ther eis a problem, the check engine light should be on, with no blinking, to tell you there is a problem. The red led should be blinking though...it shouldn't be on at all if ther eisnt a problem.

thegreatdane
02-21-2008, 12:52 PM
If the ecu led is constantly lit up it means that the ecu is running in failsafe mode. Remove the fuse for the ecu for 5 minutes, afterwards recheck for ecu blinks. First only turn on the igntion and see if the ecu starts blinking. If not turn on the engine and wait or drive the car until the ecu starts blinking.

carotman
02-24-2008, 07:55 PM
I'm pretty sure the ECU is toast.No blink and constant ON LED means the ECU isn't able to display the error problem. That's usually because the ECU has an internal problem.

Try with a different ECU.

accordargentina
03-18-2008, 01:35 PM
Thanks everybody, I can't check if the goddamn ECU is dead so far. Here in Argentina the mechanics doesn't know sh#t about 3rd Gen Accordssss!!!!!!!

The ECU, MUST be for a 3rd Gen Accord, or there are "Generic" ECU's? Sorry for my ridiculous ignorance... and for the f#cked up english too!!!!!

Dr_Snooz
03-18-2008, 07:47 PM
Definitely try the reset first before you do anything else. No sense spending a lot of money if a simple reset will do the trick. Remove fuse #11 - Clock from the underhood fuse box for 10 seconds to reset. The ECU is under your driver seat. Clean and reseat the terminal connectors and check the general condition of the wires and other connections. If your check engine light remains lit, the ECU is probably bad.

Unfortunately, there aren't generic ECUs. New ones are very expensive, so your best bet is the junkyard.