PDA

View Full Version : 4g alternator?

HondaMan
01-09-2008, 11:55 PM
I swear I saw a thread on here a while back that said 4th gen alternators would work without any modification, but I can't seem to find the thread now. I was at advance auto the other day and had the guy get both 3rd and 4th gen alternators and set them on the counter, and the 4th gen was about 1/4 inch taller than the 3rd gen. I need a new alternator, and the 4th gen puts out more, which would be better in my case because I have a big stereo. but it doesn't look like it will fit. I know the alternator is a hard job, so I want to get everything right the first time. anyone know from experience if the 4th gen alternator is going to work?

A18A
01-10-2008, 12:05 AM
was this the thread? http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30936&highlight=alternator+heater+controls

HondaMan
01-10-2008, 01:42 AM
although not the thread I was talking about, I think this one answers my question... in order to use the 4th gen alt. I'd have to get a dif. belt and make some minor alterations

found the right size belt ((the length i will give later)). put on the new belt, But it was kinda loose and the stock alt adjusting bolt was not long enough. So took a 10mm long bolt, the dist bolt and bolted the alt to the bracket and gook the adjusting bolt and put a non usable 3/8 inch socket on it and put the bolt back on and it works like a dream

I couldn't find where he said the length of the belt, and I don't understand what he's saying he had to do with the bolts...

MessyHonda
01-10-2008, 01:58 AM
just get a ebay high output one...i think its 135 amps and it still uses the same stock set up...i can change one out in like 30 mins thanks to my old one frying on me.

HondaMan
01-10-2008, 02:38 AM
e-bay and the rest of the internet is basically not an option for me... I've got autozone, advanced auto and o'rielys to work with...

MessyHonda
01-10-2008, 01:11 PM
e-bay and the rest of the internet is basically not an option for me... I've got autozone, advanced auto and o'rielys to work with...

alright then....just go with Napa autoparts....the only non OEM place i would trust.