PDA

View Full Version : Thermostat housing

paulwwww
01-10-2008, 06:12 PM
First off like to thank everyone on the site for the great info, (kissin up bigtime, :cheers:), seriously though finished replacing my valve cover gasket from this site. Not so easy for us mechanically illiterate. Went off well!!

I will be flushing the radiator system some time this weekend. After reading many posts, sounds like one way is to remove the thermostat to help with a full engine block flush. This sounds to me a good idea, since the car has 215,000 miles figured I would replace it as well. I looked at the Honda manual on this site and for replacement it shows to remove the entire housing. I kind of wondered why, can't I just take off the thermostat housing oulet, remove the gasket then thermostat, and leave the housing still connected to the block? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

russiankid
01-10-2008, 06:32 PM
You don't have to remove the whole housing, that is if you are replacing it. What you described is correct, but the thermostat will come out with the gasket. Make sure to use anti-size lube on the bolts when reinstalling as they can break off. One of mine broke off so i had to replace the whole housing, which is not fun with all the EGR stuff in the way.

paulwwww
01-10-2008, 06:40 PM
Good info thanks...seemed like taking the entire housing off was excessive.

russiankid
01-10-2008, 06:45 PM
Good info thanks...seemed like taking the entire housing off was excessive.

Be sure to clean the inlet pipe where the hose attaches as it was probably never cleaned. I used 800 grit sand paper...good luck!

MessyHonda
01-11-2008, 02:21 AM
i would just replace it with a new thermostat...its only like 8 bucks from honda. mine had a bad one and it would overheat my car.

Oldblueaccord
01-11-2008, 07:15 AM
Be prepared for the bolts to be stuck (frozen) in the housing. This could be a potential problem. If the car is running well, warming up OK flushing and refilling the radaitor be OK.

wp

88Accord-DX
01-11-2008, 04:15 PM
Be prepared for the bolts to be stuck (frozen) in the housing. This could be a potential problem.
wp

Aint that the truth, I have to repair the threads in the housing this weekend. I'm not sure if I want to tap it out to little bit bigger bolt or helicoil it yet.

Don't forget to bleed all the air out of the cooling system too guys.

russiankid
01-12-2008, 07:53 AM
Aint that the truth, I have to repair the threads in the housing this weekend. I'm not sure if I want to tap it out to little bit bigger bolt or helicoil it yet.

Don't forget to bleed all the air out of the cooling system too guys.

Indeed, and don't forget to have the heater on full heat when bleeding the system.