PDA

View Full Version : relocating the IAT sensor

newaccorddriver
01-14-2008, 12:10 AM
well, since i changed the fuel rail thinking it was the rail that had an issue, it turns out that this rail doesnt provide enough spacing to clear the plug on the IAT sensor on the stock location. i WOULD change it back to the original rail that i had on earlier, but that is next to impossible for me to do unless JD weld can reattach several pieces together and still hold pressure. needless to say, i probably overreacted.

anyways, is it possible for me to get another IAT sensor and place it in a more convenient place like before the throttle body or somewhere around that area? would that even work? its alot easier for me to do something like that then to find another fuel rail that would work with a B16 intake manifold again.

newaccorddriver
01-14-2008, 12:45 PM
anyone?

bobafett
01-14-2008, 05:36 PM
yes it is fine to do this. you are planning to be turboed right? anywhere after the cold side of the intercooler is FINE for intake temps. in fact they are more accurate when they are in the charge pipe somewhere as opposed to the heat soaked intake manifold.

as for the best method to relocate the sensor, I couldn't tell ya, but I may be doing the same thing depending on if I can get my management to play nice with the calibration of the stock accord sensor.

newaccorddriver
01-15-2008, 01:33 AM
im going to turbo it hopefully this summer, but for now, im trying to get it to run. i have no choice but to relocate it cause the FPR is sitting in its way of the connector, and i cant find another fuel rail that fits perfectly

bobafett
01-15-2008, 07:37 AM
you could look online for the calibration of a GM IAT... if they are similar you could just buy one of those and splice it in.

They use something like a 3/8 NPT thread, so you could just tap your intake manifold or weld a bung somewhere on your charge pipe. If you want it to run while NA tapping your manifold is probably the easiest. however it is a metal sensor and it is more prone to heating up since it will be in your aluminum intake manifold. and when it heats up it will be giving less accurate readings than if it were in something thinner like a charge pipe that does not retain heat so badly.

which intake manifold are you using, and which fuel rails are you using, and which IAT sensor are you using?

I have a AEBS B16 manifold, with an AEM rail, and a stock 86 accord IAT sensor, and it all works perfectly. I also had a stock b16 rail that would have worked perfectly as well, but I didn't want to buy the fittings to adapt the fuel hose, so I just bought an AEM rail, and ran a 6 -AN line... but with a little work I know the stock B rail would have been fine.

if i recall the rails have little 'cutouts' to clear FPR or IAT sensors... maybe you could just grind some of the lip away? can you take some pictures of the parts and like with the rail in place, but no sensor, and then another placing the sensor as close as you can? It can't be too bad to find a solution...

newaccorddriver
01-15-2008, 10:31 AM
which intake manifold are you using, and which fuel rails are you using, and which IAT sensor are you using?

I have a AEBS B16 manifold, with an AEM rail, and a stock 86 accord IAT sensor, and it all works perfectly. I also had a stock b16 rail that would have worked perfectly as well, but I didn't want to buy the fittings to adapt the fuel hose, so I just bought an AEM rail, and ran a 6 -AN line... but with a little work I know the stock B rail would have been fine.

if i recall the rails have little 'cutouts' to clear FPR or IAT sensors... maybe you could just grind some of the lip away? can you take some pictures of the parts and like with the rail in place, but no sensor, and then another placing the sensor as close as you can? It can't be too bad to find a solution...

currently i am using a B16 intake manifold, with a B18 fuel rail, dont remember what my previous fuel rail was from, but everything barely cleared. the IAT is from the B16 manifold as well. ill try and get pictures soon, but im a bit busy right now