PDA

View Full Version : Weber and Exhaust

conozo
01-14-2008, 03:16 PM
I have finally given up on trying to figure out the stock carb. It has worked great for 15 years, ok for 3, and the last 2 years its been really bad especially during the summer. It needs to be rebuilt but i know that some of the other controls, solenoids, valves, etc that are connected to the carb via vacuum tube aren't in that great of shape either. The stock carb lasted 20 years without any rebuild so i consider that pretty good and time for a new one. And just like how i always work on my car, if something breaks its time for an upgrade. So i ordered a Weber 32/38 DGEV carb. I also already have a pacesetter header that i will be putting on at the same time along with an entire new exhaust system since my current one is shot and has a hole in the flex pipe, muffler, and im sure the cat is clogged after 20 years and 180,000 miles.

This is what i am going to have done in less than two weeks.

Weber carb
Pacesetter header
flex pipe installed
custom 2" exhaust
new cat
air condition removal
vacuum removal
keeping cruise control

Here is the email i got from UPS today.
----
This message was sent to you at the request of Carbs Unlimited to notify you that the package information below has been transmitted to UPS. The package(s) may not have actually been placed with UPS for shipment. To verify when and if the shipment is tendered to UPS and its actual transit status, click on the tracking link below or contact Carbs Unlimited directly.
Important Delivery Information
Scheduled Delivery: 18-January-2008
---

2oodoor
01-14-2008, 03:29 PM
you are in for a real treet after the job is done, so look forward:)
look at the weber threads here about installing, pay very close attention to adapter plate mounting, coolant passage block on manifold carb base, and do not run the adapter to carb studs in too far it will warp the plate.
I did all of the same things you are planning on mostly, but add to that R&R head, replace oil filter base gasket.. in two weeks and I was in extreme pain with pinched nerve in my back, on pain meds:confused: in 100 degree heat.. I was scheduled for surgury that month and wanted to get it done..not knowing what the outcome of the surgury would be. I got it basically done except the carb linkage which I had to fab , and running different exhaust from the header back.

2oodoor
01-14-2008, 03:38 PM
...lol get a couple extra 10 and 12 mm sockets and extensions so you don't have to keep stopping to retreive them from under the car. YOu have a bunch of 10mm fasteners to remove and DISCARD :cheers: brackets and stuff holding mysterious devices that dont do squat for the weber.

labeledsk8r
01-14-2008, 04:05 PM
sounds good man,, you will notice a much fresher and pepyer feel to the car once its done. not only from the new carb, but getting rid of that old exhaust will help alot, plus the headers give a nice top end feel. post pics when its done

Hauntd ca3
01-14-2008, 11:10 PM
I'd go to a 2.25 inch exhaust
bigger pipe just gives a bit more scope for future mods .

AccordB20A
01-15-2008, 12:18 AM
top job doing away with OEM carb :)

conozo
01-18-2008, 09:13 AM
I got all the parts today but first i have to fix our plymouth minivan. A radiator hose busted so im replacing all the hoses and giving it a coolant flush. We have to have at least one car working at a time. Then I'm going to bring the honda into a shop on monday or tuesday to have them install the weber and exhaust, then have them drain the rest of the freon so i can remove the A/C. I would install the weber myself but its winter and i dont feel like it.

Civic Accord Honda
01-20-2008, 10:26 PM
i plan on doing a weber on my car once i ether move out of cali or move to a county that dont need smog checks lol

keep us updated and take lots of pics :D

conozo
02-22-2008, 06:05 PM
The weber is in. I had a shop here in town install it so i dont have progress pictures. I will get some pictures once i remove more of the crap i dont need in there. Im still working on the A/C parts.

The thing has some serious pull now. I could never even come close to a burn out before but i can easily now. you must keep in mind that i have an automatic tranny. It just seems to rev so much more freely and when cruising down the road at about 50mph i only have to press the pedal down about 1/4 inch. Itz crazy, i really like it alot. And i told them that i wanted a pretty quiet exhaust. The engine and exhaust actually are more quite when idling and crusing than before but when accelerating its definately louder and more mean sounding which is ok. I dont mind that at all.

turabaka
02-22-2008, 09:49 PM
Glad you like it. I thought you might. I got mine installed and thought the same thing you did. A ton better from the stock carb.

Civic Accord Honda
02-22-2008, 10:30 PM
i demand videos! XD

Toneloc5145
02-23-2008, 01:54 PM
Nice. This looks to be my next mod, but I have a couple of questions. Do you have vehicle inspections, and if so, are you worried that your car will not pass inspection because of the altered emissions equipment? And how does that weber perform in the cold, as far as start up's and etc.?

conozo
02-23-2008, 03:25 PM
I live in indiana and we dont have any emissions test so that wasnt a concern.

It preforms much better in the cold. Its been about 10-40F here for the past couple of days. The old OEM carb would take several minutes to warm up enough that when you tried to accelerate the car wasnt horribly slow. Before if i didnt let it warm up completely i would try to accelerate and it wouldnt go faster if i pressed the gas more. With the Weber (DGEV electric) it only takes about a minute to warm up when it was 20F outside. Im having a hard time describing it but i can assure you that it is much much better in the cold than the OEM carb. It still has to warm up but it hardly takes much time at all. Also when it warms up it doesnt idle as high as before.

Toneloc5145
02-23-2008, 04:08 PM
Ok that's good to know about the cold weather performance. I don't have emissions testing where I live either, but we have yearly inspections where they check to make sure that the car is safe enough to drive. I'm not really worried about that because I have hookups, but right now my car passes easily every year.

However, I know that the Weber eliminates some emissions components. Here's a phrase I found on the Virginia DMV Vehicle Inspections Website.

16. – INSPECT HOOD AND AREA UNDER THE HOOD FOR:
<LI class=textregular>Operating condition of hood latch. <LI class=textregular>Presence of emissions system -Evidence that any essential parts have been removed, rendered inoperative or disconnected. <LI class=textregular>Fluid levels that are below the proper level
1. Brake fluid.
2. Power steering fluid.
Power steering belt - proper tension, wear, or absence.I don't know what they define as essential, but I don't think I'll have a problem passing inspection with the Weber.

MessyHonda
02-23-2008, 10:43 PM
well now that i think i found a smog shop il check out a weber convertion.....im thinking of doing headers on the dx...cuz its slow as heck....i hate freeway enterences...it has no guts.

conozo
03-18-2008, 03:22 PM
I realized i never put pics up for you. Here are a few i just snapped quickly. I will get some better ones when it gets sunny outside along with a 0-60 video with good audio.

http://honda.conozo.com/pics_3geez/(1)%20Weber%20Left%20(Custom).jpg
http://honda.conozo.com/pics_3geez/(2)%20Weber%20Right%20(Custom).jpg
http://honda.conozo.com/pics_3geez/(0)%20Weber%20Front%20(Custom).jpg
http://honda.conozo.com/pics_3geez/(3)%20Pacesetter%20Header%20(Custom).jpg

2ndGenGuy
03-18-2008, 04:36 PM
Cool! You can get a taller air filter for that setup too. If you do order it, you will have to get the taller clips for it. I doubt there is any hood clearance problems, the tall filter fits both the 1g and 2g Accords just fine, so I imagine the 3g should be even less problem.

MessyHonda
03-18-2008, 06:03 PM
cool i wish i had one for my dx

lostforawhile
03-18-2008, 07:54 PM
well now that i think i found a smog shop il check out a weber convertion.....im thinking of doing headers on the dx...cuz its slow as heck....i hate freeway enterences...it has no guts.
yea it might be too old to need to pass emissions, if they give you a problem tell them that is was needed to allow the car to run, and that the old system was unrepairable. i wish the epa would have made a nationwide exemption for old vaccume carbs, it's just so hard to fix them anymore. i know in a couple of years i can get the antique tag for my car. then it'sa permanent exemption even though we have no tests here

turabaka
03-18-2008, 08:02 PM
^^ you suck. I can't get vintage tags until my car is 30 years old here in Idaho. I hate it, cause I was really hoping it kicked in at the 20 year mark like a lot of other states.

2oodoor
03-19-2008, 03:38 AM
conozo :thumbup: congrats! changes the whole personality of the car don't it

I can get antique tags for mine but I wish they had a picture of an old datsun , a oval window bug or something on them instead of the usdm jalopy (Georgia)

Toneloc5145
03-19-2008, 07:47 AM
Looks nice. I'm jealous and can't wait to do this to my car. 20 years on the original carb is respectable, but its time for some improvement. Can't wait for your vids.

Bass Man
03-19-2008, 09:26 AM
There aren't emmisions here in So. Oregon :)

I must do this to mine. My engine bay is a mess and yours looks like you can drop a small block in it!

Where is the video?

cygnus x-1
03-19-2008, 04:09 PM
There aren't emmisions here in So. Oregon :)

I must do this to mine. My engine bay is a mess and yours looks like you can drop a small block in it!

Where is the video?

Isn't it amazing how much it cleans up the engine bay? I love my DIY fuel injection but the simplicity of the Weber was just so cool. I kind of miss it.

Incidentally, in Illinois they just this year dropped testing for cars older than 1996. There just aren't that many around any more (they rust away) so it didn't make sense to maintain all the equipment needed for testing (dyno, exhaust analyzers, etc.). Now they just plug into the computer and look for codes. No codes, you pass. Stored codes, you fail. Of course this means that you can't modify the engine too much in a new car, but that's fine with me. I'll just keep driving old cars.

C|

lostforawhile
03-19-2008, 04:44 PM

I can get antique tags for mine but I wish they had a picture of an old datsun , a oval window bug or something on them instead of the usdm jalopy (Georgia)roodoo which car do you have antique tags on?

88Accord-DX
03-19-2008, 07:39 PM
Looks good conozo. What did you to use to block that EGR pipe going to the intake? I been considering a 1/8" insulator in there where the EFE heater screen is when I install mine. Not sure why you don't run a 2nd clear fuel filter in that fuel line to the weber.

conozo
03-21-2008, 08:44 AM

I can get antique tags for mine but I wish they had a picture of an old datsun , a oval window bug or something on them instead of the usdm jalopy (Georgia)

Yep it does. I took my brother in law for a ride in it and he was amazed. He used to drive the car years ago when my sister had it. He said when you floored it it would just make more noise which was true. He said its a beast now.

Looks good conozo. What did you to use to block that EGR pipe going to the intake? I been considering a 1/8" insulator in there where the EFE heater screen is when I install mine. Not sure why you don't run a 2nd clear fuel filter in that fuel line to the weber.

Not sure, i had a shop install it but i think they said that they didnt block it on the intake and that it doesnt need blocked unless i take the valve off then i will have to screw on a plate or something.

Here is an audio clip of the exhaust. Its an acceleration from 0 with the windows up. I was going to post some videos right now but the acceleration times were not that good. Its cold and windy today, so im going to wait until the weather warms up, after an oil change, and not try it when i have a full tank of gas.
Download here. http://honda.conozo.com/pics_3geez/Honda%2088%20Acceleration.mp3

Doward
04-03-2008, 02:14 PM
I can confirm the taller filter fits fine under the 3G hood.