PDA

View Full Version : Bose Stereo

nfs480
01-15-2008, 01:54 PM
My SE-i's stereo seems to be having troubles as of late. It only happens when set to FM, the radio and cassette work fine, but it's almost as if the stereo can hardly get an FM station. It works fine on and off but most of the time lately it hasn't been working. Sometimes I can hear the sound but it is very faint, any suggestions? Could it just be the antennae or a wire? Or does it need a new Tuner? If it needs a new tuner then anyone out there with a Honda Bose system for an SE-i please send me a message because I would be interested in purchasing it.

forrest89sei
01-15-2008, 02:02 PM
My SE-i's stereo seems to be having troubles as of late. It only happens when set to FM, the radio and cassette work fine, but it's almost as if the stereo can hardly get an FM station. It works fine on and off but most of the time lately it hasn't been working. Sometimes I can hear the sound but it is very faint, any suggestions? Could it just be the antennae or a wire? Or does it need a new Tuner? If it needs a new tuner then anyone out there with a Honda Bose system for an SE-i please send me a message because I would be interested in purchasing it.

is the sound at the standard volume when a tape is in?

If it isn't chances are it's the Bose Speaker Amp that connects to it.

nfs480
01-15-2008, 02:04 PM
The volume is fine with the tape in, but you can't hear anything with a tape out. But only in FM, if I switch to AM it works fine.

Hauntd ca3
01-15-2008, 09:40 PM
i'm pretty sure that if you have the aerial thats in the rear windscreen there is a signal booster.
am dosnt need as much signal to produce a decent volume where fm does i think.
the wire to turn on the factory booster is blue i think and is behind the stereo.
it could have come loose or the booster has died.
have no idea where the booster is tho.
better off spending a couple hundy and getting package deal stereo for it.
everything but the head unit is hidden that way and will sound way better

AccordB20A
01-16-2008, 01:51 AM
I dont think they get the rear window mounted antennas with the boosters over in the USA

My wire for the booster is yellow

nfs480
01-16-2008, 07:35 AM
i'm pretty sure that if you have the aerial thats in the rear windscreen there is a signal booster.
am dosnt need as much signal to produce a decent volume where fm does i think.
the wire to turn on the factory booster is blue i think and is behind the stereo.
it could have come loose or the booster has died.
have no idea where the booster is tho.
better off spending a couple hundy and getting package deal stereo for it.
everything but the head unit is hidden that way and will sound way better

Yeah, there is no booster on this car. Just the antennae above the driver's door. There's no mention of it in my shop manual either.

Blkblurr
01-16-2008, 09:19 AM
By the way, The head unit is made by Alpine. The amp and the speakers are made by Bose. No repair or replacement available on any of the SE-i system. I replaced mine with a Pioneer model.

nfs480
01-16-2008, 02:04 PM
If I put in an Alpine head unit, would it work with the rest of the Bose system, or would i have to replace the speakers as well?

forrest89sei
01-16-2008, 04:26 PM
You could always get one of these?

Plug and play

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/96-97-ACURA-BOSE-CD-RADIO-LEGEND-GL-LS-3-0-CL_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ38640QQihZ021QQitemZ 310014809782QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Blkblurr
01-17-2008, 09:50 AM
The speakers are just typical speakers but they are wired to the amp. If you put a new head unit in you may have to reduce the signal to the amp to preamp levels. When I bought my Pioneer from Crutchfield they included a signal attenuator to reduce the signal strength to the amp in case I needed it. It turned out to be the amp and not the head unit.

nfs480
01-17-2008, 01:12 PM
Well, i'm pretty sure the Amp is fine. I got a cassette adapter to plug my Zune in and was able to get some really nice thumping bass.

w261w261
01-17-2008, 01:40 PM
The speakers are just typical speakers but they are wired to the amp. If you put a new head unit in you may have to reduce the signal to the amp to preamp levels. When I bought my Pioneer from Crutchfield they included a signal attenuator to reduce the signal strength to the amp in case I needed it. It turned out to be the amp and not the head unit.

Does this mean that I can get a new head unit with a preamp output, Crutchfield could include an adaptor for the existing wiring harness, and I could basically just unplug the Bose unit and put in the new one. I don't have to mess with the amp at all? That would be nice.

Blkblurr
01-21-2008, 09:55 AM
They can include an attenuator and you can adjust the output from your head unit to suit the Bose amp. the ygave me one when I bought my Pioneer head unit.