PDA

View Full Version : Rear Brake Proportioning Valve?

lgoldtop
01-15-2008, 02:29 PM
hey everyone!

would an 88 lxi have a rear brake proportioning valve because i just ordered coilovers and hear that if not adjusted to the new height that my rear brakes would lock up

HondaBoy
01-15-2008, 02:43 PM
sounds like you have no idea what you are talking about. the proportioning valve is in the engine bay. mounted on the left hand side of the car, which would be the passenger side. coil overs would have no effect on it. now possibly your parking brake cable could be affected, but only if you were to put a suspension lift the car which arent even available. whoever told you this information was full of shit. the only thing on the rear brakes that needs adjusting from time to time is the brake shoes. this is done by removing the drum, then turning the "star" or adjuster that is mounted between the shoes. this would give the rear brakes more response. after doing so install the drum and the brake drum should drag slightly. otherwise, i dont know how your brakes would lock up. the only way your rear wheels will lock up with those coil overs is if you set them too low to where the tire touches the fender arch.

AccordB20A
01-15-2008, 02:48 PM
yup. brakes have nothing to do with coilovers. The only way you would need to change the valve is if you swap from drums to discs

HondaBoy
01-15-2008, 02:53 PM
i swapped from drums to disk, no change to the proportioning valve. works great.

russiankid
01-15-2008, 08:27 PM
i swapped from drums to disk, no change to the proportioning valve. works great.

That is what i am running right now, the stock LX prop. valve, my SE-i one started to leak. There is a slight difference in the pedal feel, but it works.

lgoldtop
01-15-2008, 08:29 PM
it figures i thought some thing sounded weird but thats what you get when you read a haynes manual

LX-incredible
01-15-2008, 08:45 PM
sounds like you have no idea what you are talking about. the proportioning valve is in the engine bay. mounted on the left hand side of the car, which would be the passenger side. coil overs would have no effect on it. now possibly your parking brake cable could be affected, but only if you were to put a suspension lift the car which arent even available. whoever told you this information was full of shit. the only thing on the rear brakes that needs adjusting from time to time is the brake shoes. this is done by removing the drum, then turning the "star" or adjuster that is mounted between the shoes. this would give the rear brakes more response. after doing so install the drum and the brake drum should drag slightly. otherwise, i dont know how your brakes would lock up. the only way your rear wheels will lock up with those coil overs is if you set them too low to where the tire touches the fender arch.

There are a few vehicles with rear valves. They adjust breaking according to the load on the rear end. Changes in ride hight without linkage adjustment will affect braking. Our cars and most others do not have them, but they're out there.

MessyHonda
01-16-2008, 12:46 AM
i changed mine when i did my rear disk swap...i noticed a overall improvement oh the highway and it felt like the car had better control while taking corners and braking.

AccordB20A
01-16-2008, 01:54 AM
Maybe they meant that if you drop the car too low the wheels will camber out and not have as much traction and therefore lock easyer?

Hauntd ca3
01-16-2008, 09:41 PM
There are a few vehicles with rear valves. They adjust breaking according to the load on the rear end. Changes in ride hight without linkage adjustment will affect braking. Our cars and most others do not have them, but they're out there.

usually only light commercial vehicles and utes( mini trucks in the us) have those valves in the back.
they are a load prop valve that allows the rear brakes more pressure as the load increases.
the main prop valve in the engine bay is where the front to rear split is set .